Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’m homebrewing for a Beast campaign, and....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IceBen View Post
    That's pretty much what I had in mind as well, but what about this situation:

In a small city, everyone is aware that a wolf hunts at night (werewolf), but in the town centre there is a well, where a witch (beast) dwells, and it is said that the wolf doesn't dare hunt there.

So, this isn't true, the wolf hunts anywhere he pleases, but the two doesn't interfere with each other's business, no need.

The well is more memorable, more people saw the witch overall. But the city has so many other places where the wolf was seen once or twice. And the werewolf is much stronger physically.

Who is the apex?
    Is it the witch because people think she is?
    What happens if simply one day someone reports that the wolf attacked next to the well?
    Do they instantly switch Apex?
    Simple rumor isn't going to extend the witch's reach — the Apex may depend on how the locals think about their lives, but unless the witch is scarier and has more frightening contact with humanity, the witch isn't going to become the Apex just because her home is supposedly safe from the wolf.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

...and it is said that the wolf doesn't dare hunt there
      That is what I mean by this, the people are convinced that the witch is stronger. She is indeed scarier and has more frightening contact with humanity, but ultimately weaker physically.

Comment

She is indeed scarier and has more frightening contact with humanity, but ultimately weaker physically.
        Does she have more frightening contact with humanity or more frightening contact with humanity? Because if more people in the region are afraid of the wolf then the town center is small potatoes — the witch's holdings and influence matter more than her having one Chamber the rumor mill says is above reproach.

Comment

Ok, some thoughts in my head, about this:
          1.Though the other splats will be mentioned, this homebrew will focus virtually exclusively on Beasts and a single other splat, but which, I’ve not yet decided on.
          2.The Begotten are ‘in control’ in Newark, and, so, the Apex is a Beast.
          3.The Hopewell earthworks will have a large part to play. Though these mounds were made by mundane humans, the Begotten made heavy use of them, too, giving them some sort of occult aspect, in the process. (Obcasus Rites, for the win!) Furthermore, some of these mounds will have a connection to the Insatiable, with the implication being used in twisted summoning-rites that called up the children of the Primogenitor...
          4.Newark’s Beasts will be going through a power struggle of some sort, most likely a Beast gunning for the position of Apex.
          Last edited by Demigod Beast; 05-04-2018, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
            Does she have more frightening contact with humanity or more frightening contact with humanity? Because if more people in the region are afraid of the wolf then the town center is small potatoes — the witch's holdings and influence matter more than her having one Chamber the rumor mill says is above reproach.
            Both, she has more contact (more victims), and is scarier (more well known).
            The witch has created one chamber in the region, but keeps hunting there.
            The wolf created, lets say, eight, but doesn't focus on any of them, he hunts wherever.

I don't know werewolf that much, so don't wanna say random things about how they hunt, but let's just say he chases and scares people, on occasions wounds them (no maimed corpses). While the witch does the same, but also makes people disappear (unknown what happens).

So the witch is clearly the first target if hunters came to town. I hope this is enough explanation, because I intended to write just one sentence to represent this setup.

Comment

Both, she has more contact (more victims), and is scarier (more well known).
              The witch has created one chamber in the region, but keeps hunting there.
              The wolf created, lets say, eight, but doesn't focus on any of them, he hunts wherever.
              If the witch and the werewolf haven't come into direct conflict then it's going to come down to what the locals are like to determine whether a vicious monster that can strike anywhere is a bigger concern than a vicious monster that's set up camp in a central location.

I hope this is enough explanation, because I intended to write just one sentence to represent this setup.
              When you throw a border case onto the pile it's going to require your own table's arbitration to settle no matter what, so asking for outside help is inherently going to require more than one sentence of detail — it's a storytelling game.

Comment

This isn't at my table, I'm asking you guys.

But lets see like this:

In a situation where A is physically stronger, but B is believed to be a bigger threat. Who is the Apex? I personally lean towards B, that's why I followed it with the questions I asked.
                Let's say B indeed is the Apex, then: if A proves he should be feared more, with a single random act, completely out of the blue, then does he instantly gain the title then and there? (Or do people need time to adjust)

Comment

I find the title of Apex has to be maintained. It isn't a one time fight and then walk away with the title until the next challenge comes up. You build a legend, a nightmare, a terror of the town story, and you make sure it stays that way. If you get get killed, unless everyone know it, you are still warping the dream for a while. Heck, if a beast goes unfettered, the horror may keep it's comfy Apex spot. It could theoretically attach to another human, create another beast, and begin again, horror movie style.

Once you beat the boss, you have to take his mantle. You may have the reigns for now, but if you don't keep up, don't be surprised when a newcomer suddenly overshadows your barely maintained legend.

In a way, it's similar to a demons cover.

Comment

But lets see like this:

In a situation where A is physically stronger, but B is believed to be a bigger threat. Who is the Apex? I personally lean towards B, that's why I followed it with the questions I asked.
                    Let's say B indeed is the Apex, then: if A proves he should be feared more, with a single random act, completely out of the blue, then does he instantly gain the title then and there? (Or do people need time to adjust)
                    The Primordial Dream is part of the Astral Realms, so, I’d imagine perception can be just as important as reality.

Comment

And I'm telling you the answer to this question is going to depend on the table. This is not a question with a hard concrete answer, because it is a story-based thing in a game that is run by groups of individuals rather than an ingrained point of mechanical arbitration that anyone here is going to be able to tell you with more certainty than "this is how I would run it in my game."

Comment

But lets see like this:

A Might Prove to have a Reason to be feared, but if it's not something everyone (or atleast Enough) knows about... Then it wouldn't have an effect. Apexes "Need" to be known to maintain that title. Hence why if a Town has alot of Say Werewolves it's possible for one of them to be the Apex in the Hive without knowing it.

Light and Dark are two Sides of a Coin... Humanity is What Happens when it Lands on it's Edge.

Comment

Could a Beast form Kinship with an idigam?

Comment

Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
                            Could a Beast form Kinship with an idigam?
                            Yes. You don't have to be friendly for family ties.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchonAres View Post

Yes. You don't have to be friendly for family ties.
                              Yay! I may just use Werewolf as the other splat!

Comment

Working...
                              X