What brood can do together?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What brood can do together?

I plan to run Beast game - but I'm a bit scared how 'solo focused' it looks like. RPG are group activity so I want to explore stories about whole brood, where all players can shine. So the question is simple - What thing brood (as whole) can do in BtP together?

I get advise or two before, but I look especially for chronicle worth plots.

List of whole brood activities:

1. Feeding Hunger - With Family Dinner ability of Children, even helping one of broodmates in Feeding gives you 2 Satiety, if done right.

2. Fighting Heroes - It's a bit straight forward, but fighting main gameline antagonists as brood is always a way. Especially as Heroes in final BtP corebook seems to 'pop-up' a bit random and just 'get on trail' from the actions of the Begotten now.

3. Hunting for Chambers - Chambers are nightmare ( i.e. Primordial Dream ) version of real world locations or parts of 'Other Realms' ( Hedge, Underworld, Shadow, etc. ) in that mortal lost his Integrity, stemming from encountering the supernatural. Once understood his history by brood, Beasts can join Chamber to their mixed Lairs. Can be made into longer investigation than one session?

4. Obcasus Rites - Specific, story driven ritual magic of Begotten. Each Rite on itself maybe only one scene to perform for brood, but collecting Trappings for Advanced or Epics Rites can be story or chronicle arc.

/ For learning Obcasus Rites you only need this Merit and story reasons to be taught him - even by Guidance from Dark Mother!
    Obcasus Initiate (••)
    Prerequisites: Beast. You have experienced Guidance from the Dark Mother at least once
    Effect: You gain the capacity to lead an Obcasus rite. You immediately learn the Consecrate rite. You may learn further rites via Communion , extensive occult research, or being taught by another Initiate. You may learn a maximum number of rites equal to your Intelligence + Lair. /

5. Searching for Dark Mother - Searching for Children progenitor may lead to finding new Obcasus Rites or Nightmares, beside the point of finding the most badass monster in the universe! In searches can be uncovered at least few Kinship Ties with beings like Circle of Crone vampires, Mysterium mages, Luna's devoted werewolves, etc.

6. Apex and local Hive relations - Apex and it's Trait is reflected in local Hive, so having good relations with him - or better, being Apex itself - is very benefiting for the brood. I will just quote Wormwood thoughts on this as describing it perfectly:
    Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
    ... have them put up with a particularly bothersome Hive Trait by the local Apex. They could try to kick him out, but he's SUCH a nice guy to them. Too bad others want him gone. Who're you gonna help?

... have them put up with an absolute ass of an apex who's trying for Incarnation.
    7. Fighting Insatiable ( from Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes book ) - Idigam/Strix-like threat to the Primordial Dream and Beasts.

8. Teaching 'How to teach the Lessons' to other Beasts and monsters even - Brood sating Hunger by pointing other monsters how to be BEST Monster!

9. Supernatural Politics - All those matter 'Us vs/with Them', greatly sum up by, once again, Wormwood.
    I feel what also really works well, ironically, is power struggles and straddling the line. Ever seen family fight? There are camps, with certain points of view, and there are people somehow caught up and wishing people would just get along. Now apply this to supernatural templates, and throw the players in. Do they support overthrowing the Apex? Do they try to become the Apex? Do they try to keep the Apex in power? Do they agree that the Kindred have too much territory, or do they think the Werewolves should care more about their own furry angry siblings? Do they support the Pentacle or the Seers? Neither? Both? Do they think Jennifer should apologize for feeding on Alex' girlfriend, or should Alex have known better than to bring her around when Jennifer was Starving? Etc. etc.
    Wormwood also made a great post how to connect those idea in one epic Beast chronicle!

Other ideas for stories about whole brood would be much appreciated. I much more look for the activity that is directly at least story or even chronicle arc material.
    ( List will be expanded with new posts, once verified. )

Maybe I will clearly point for something like I want to be pointed in this topic - In Mage, as ST, you make chronicle-wide Mystery and throw players in it. In Werewolf you make great Prey that need to be taken out on series of Sacred Hunts. In Beast as ST, you do... ( what? )

EDIT: Added points ideas 2-9 now. I think we have firm grasp about what brood, in general, do in the gameline.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-21-2018, 09:17 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

I was thinking about maybe starting of Primordial Cult with mortals - but description in the Beast Players Guide seems to point that only one Beast is running their cults seperatly.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

You could do rites that's a social activity for sure. (You will need some reason, sure, but that way they can work together)

Also, iirc the Heroes now aren't created by beasts, that was only in the original version, now they just "are". More in places with a lot of chambers, but aren't created by the beasts' actions directly, so you could add heroes naturally.
      Last edited by IceBen; 04-20-2018, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IceBen View Post
        You could do rites that's a social activity for sure. (You will need some reason, sure, but that way they can work together)
        Doing Obcasus Rite is much more a scene material ( with possible story repercussions ). I much more look for the activity that is directly at least story or even chronicle arc material.

Originally posted by IceBen View Post
        Also, iirc the Heroes now aren't created by beasts, that was only in the original version, now they just "are". More in places with a lot of chambers, but aren't created by the beasts' actions directly, so you could add heroes naturally.
        So what? Heroes just get 'divine massage', all the time? No need for first Feeding on the future Hero?
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-20-2018, 08:16 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

They could all be investigating a mystery. ;

They could try and stop a regional threat. ;

They could all help one of their kin. ;

[Read the Beast Plot Hooks Thread]

-I will edit the ; with examples later when I'm not on my phone.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
            So what? Heroes just get 'divine massage', all the time? No need for first Feeding on the future Hero?
            Heroes start to have dreams like the begotten do, but they aren't devoured, instead they try to "fix" things. Most heroes try to hunt the monsters from these dreams. (but they aren't the only kind of heroes) The way they locate beasts is by the beast creating ripples in the primordial dream, and them following these. They aren't even required to hunt just beasts, they can go and try to kill any supernatural, but of course they won't be that well equipped against them.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
              They could all be investigating a mystery. ;
              Exploring mystery sounds as more one story material. Still, does not 'Adding Chamber to our Lair' solving mystery is more about 'someone died, we got this'? Not sounding too much as chronicle ( or at least arc ) stuff...

I will not comment rest of the post as without examples it a bit not direct in answering question. Will wait for your return with edited ideas.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I think about also exploring 'Other Realms' - like Underworld or Changeling Arcadia - but Why would brood ( as all ) want do something like that?

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                  I think about also exploring 'Other Realms' - like Underworld or Changeling Arcadia - but Why would brood ( as all ) want do something like that?
                  Maybe that's how they met? Maybe they're a brood because they have similar interests?

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                    Maybe that's how they met? Maybe they're a brood because they have similar interests?
                    I do not want to assume anything on players side. 'We all like otherworld' sound more like PCs hobby than story idea. I look for possible plots to start particular game - so rather external threats or mechanics pointing for doing things together ( like Satiety bonus for helping broodmate with his Feeding ).

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Maybe I will clearly point for something like I want to be pointed in this topic - In Mage, as ST, you make chronicle wide Mystery and throw players in it. In Werewolf you make great Prey that need to be taken out on series of Sacred Hunts. In Beast as ST, you do... ( what? )

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

... have them put up with a particularly bothersome Hive Trait by the local Apex. They could try to kick him out, but he's SUCH a nice guy to them. Too bad others want him gone. Who're you gonna help?
                        ... have them deal with being hunted by an Pack of Uratha for upsetting the balance to a degree stuff becomes hard to handle.
                        ... have them try to feed, only to end up in shenanigans (You wanted you steal someone's secrets, why did you have to go for the Prince's? You just wanted to steal an item, well now you have to deal with a powerful Alchemist trying to get revenge on you beause that black liquid is literally his lifeline). Pull this every now and then.
                        ... have them but heads with Heroes and Hunters of every kind -mean, affable, friendly, downright sympathetic or evil. Blurr the lines.
                        ... have them put up with an absolute ass of an apex who's trying for Incarnation.

Generally, in Beast, the players will want to go for Chambers, as chambers are prestige and power. So have them investigate chambers, have them fight over chambers, have them look for exotic ones (Underworld, maybe).

For Beast, you can also just make a chronicle wide mystery without problems (WHO is the apex? WHAT causes chambers to collapse? etc.). Exploration is also a wonderful theme, and looking for the Dark Mother will make for an awesome chronicle I think.
                        I feel what also really works well, ironically, is power struggles and straddling the line. Ever seen family fight? There are camps, with certain points of view, and there are people somehow caught up and wishing people would just get along. Now apply this to supernatural templates, and throw the players in. Do they support overthrowing the Apex? Do they try to become the Apex? Do they try to keep the Apex in power? Do they agree that the Kindred have too much territory, or do they think the Werewolves should care more about their own furry angry siblings? Do they support the Pentacle or the Seers? Neither? Both? Do they think Jennifer should apologize for feeding on Alex' girlfriend, or should Alex have known better than to bring her around when Jennifer was Starving? Etc. etc.
                        Very character-and relationship-driven plots, all in all. This has a lot of cross-over potential, which makes it probably the most Beast-specific type of game.
                        You want Hunts/War? No problem. Beset the players with Heroes, Hunters, Insatiable, and other Beasts. Have them try to fight off Mage's undue curiosity one week, then try and survive a siskur-dah the next.Have the players go hunt down their own beastly siblings to teach them a lesson:"Don't feed like a monster, lest a monster you become. Teach a lesson!"
                        Have the players come to terms with their existence, realize they have to own up to their actions or look for alternatives yadda yadda yadda..

Comment

For Beast, you can also just make a chronicle wide mystery without problems (WHO is the apex? WHAT causes chambers to collapse? etc.). Exploration is also a wonderful theme, and looking for the Dark Mother will make for an awesome chronicle I think.
                          Will note hunting for Chambers and Dark Mother as ideas in Opening Post, later on.

Apex ideas seems to be often - it certienly can be focus of chronicle then. Will be added to the list.

So Politics plots - will add it to the list, but it's not my particular cup of tea.

You want Hunts/War? No problem. Beset the players with Heroes, Hunters, Insatiable, and other Beasts.
                          Forgot abuot Insatiable - will add them later on.

Have the players go hunt down their own beastly siblings to teach them a lesson:"Don't feed like a monster, lest a monster you become. Teach a lesson!"
                          This IS interesting scenario - PCs trying to 'teach teaching the lessons' to other Beasts and/or monsters!

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Generally, in Beast, the players will want to go for Chambers, as chambers are prestige and power. So have them investigate chambers, have them fight over chambers, have them look for exotic ones (Underworld, maybe).
                            Chamber claiming is 'only' investigation in it's Integrity loss event, yes? Can it be extended in to more than one session small story? Can Chamber reflect Other Realms - so there would be real reason to 'go to Hell and back' ( Hell, Arcadia, Underworld, you name it realm you want ).

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

A comment about Obcasus Rites -- the basic rites are the stuff of a scene, sure, but Advanced and Epic rites often require so much more in terms of Trappings/preparation that the whole brood could be spending some time preparing for them.

The Advanced rite "Heart Theft" could also be a hook that brings the brood together from the other end: other Beasts have stolen someone's soul, and the PC brood (all of whom have ties to the victim) band together to get it back.

Comment

Working...
                              X