How Hive relates to geography?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Hive relates to geography?

I try to wrap my head around one concept of Beast gameline - How local Hive relates to real world geography?

Particular Chambers are nightmare sub-realms in Astral Space, reflecting particular location - even in Other Realms ( like Hedge, Underworld, etc. ) And then, suddenly, BtP corebook assumes 'and you have Hive that is collection of local Chambers'.

Okay, but what means 'local' in this context? Does town Hive 'ends' on the Chambers based only on locations in this particular town? Would Chamber based on the forest murder by monster just outside of town limits - would it be in the towns Hive? Or not, simply by not relating to direct idea of the town ( and by this, to it's Primordial Dream reflection as Hive )?

And what about Beasts Lairs - How can they be part of Hive if Lair is often based on totally fantastic location, not reflected in real location of the Hive material counterpart?

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    Okay, but what means 'local' in this context? Does town Hive 'ends' on the Chambers based only on locations in this particular town? Would Chamber based on the forest murder by monster just outside of town limits - would it be in the towns Hive? Or not, simply by not relating to direct idea of the town ( and by this, to it's Primordial Dream reflection as Hive )?

And what about Beasts Lairs - How can they be part of Hive if Lair is often based on totally fantastic location, not reflected in real location of the Hive material counterpart?
    Pretty much all of this is covered in the Player's Guide.

The Primordial Dream outside of Chambers maps to the material world with fairly high fidelity, and so a Hive is comprised of all the Chambers in a given region an the Burrows connecting the ones that are part of a Lair. The Heart of a Beast's Lair, any Chambers formed in other worlds, and any Chambers that have faded from the dreamscape all exist in the Mists, i.e. the part of the Primordial Dream that butts up against the Beastly perspective on the Omphalos.

Where exactly the line is drawn for border disputes is something you have to determine for your own games.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

A good guideline is common consensus of sense of territory.

Basically, local is what most locals think it is.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

But I get it right that Hive means 'all the Chambers that reflect our town/region/area' on general? So Edinburgh's Hive is basically Primordial version of Edinburgh + Beasts Lairs?
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-21-2018, 12:20 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Pretty much, yes.
          Maybe a bit of the outskirts, too.

Comment

A follow-up, prompted by checking the books for a different thing:

The "Here Be Monsters" section on page 67 of the corebook defines "regions" of the Primordial Dream as "areas under a given Apex," and the "Why Do Beasts Fight?" section on page 230 further specifies that what makes a hive is the shared link of its Chambers to the Apex.

Make of that what you will.
            Last edited by Satchel; 05-04-2018, 11:23 AM. Reason: Typos.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post

The "Here Be Monsters" section on page 67 of the corebook defines a "regions" of the Primordial Dream as "areas under a give Apex," and the "Why Do Beasts Fight?" section on page 230 further specifies that what makes a hive is the shared link of its Chambers to the Apex.

Now I'm picturing an Apex who wants to be a conqueror, expanding their Hive outwards and subsuming those of others.

Comment

The "Here Be Monsters" section on page 67 of the corebook defines a "regions" of the Primordial Dream as "areas under a give Apex," and the "Why Do Beasts Fight?" section on page 230 further specifies that what makes a hive is the shared link of its Chambers to the Apex.

Oh :O So pretty much everything has an apex, and an apex can "rule" over multiple hives.
                But does that quote mean that if an apex acts as a gate, then any local horror can wander to the other half of the earth to feed? (That must be annoying for heroes. And the Apex.)
                Last edited by IceBen; 05-04-2018, 11:09 AM. Reason: For clarification

Comment

I don't see anything implying that an Apex could have multiple Hives under themselves. Rather, any Lairs under an Apex would be considered part of the same Hive.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                    I don't see anything implying that an Apex could have multiple Hives under themselves. Rather, any Lairs under an Apex would be considered part of the same Hive.
                    Yeah, most likely region = hive.

But in that case my question still stands, hives are interconnected in the primordial dream, can Horrors use that?

Comment

Also the Apex does not have to be a Beast... Most Commonly it is but it doesn't have too be.
                      So if the Local "Bigshot" is a Vampire... they can Taint the Hive towards what makes a Vampire more Feared (If i read it right that is).

Light and Dark are two Sides of a Coin... Humanity is What Happens when it Lands on it's Edge.

Comment

So can Hive exists without Apex? Cause one of major stories I wanted to tale is that in small town, there is no Apex right now...

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Yes, the Hive exists whether there's an Apex or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Maudlin View Post
                            Yes, the Hive exists whether there's an Apex or not.
                            "The hive" is specifically defined by being a bunch of Chambers from the same area connected through the shared influence of the Apex. If there's no Apex then there's just a bunch of disparate Chambers in geographical proximity to each other.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

"The hive" is specifically defined by being a bunch of Chambers from the same area connected through the shared influence of the Apex. If there's no Apex then there's just a bunch of disparate Chambers in geographical proximity to each other.
                              I would disagree from what the books say.

Under "The Hive" in the core, page 94: "All of the Chambers in a region are part of a larger system called the hive."

Under "Hives and Hearts" in the PG, page 151: "Beasts call the sum total of all claimed and unclaimed Chambers in a region, plus the network of Burrows linking the claimed ones into Lairs, the region's Hive."

I don't really see support saying that without an Apex, there is no Hive. Where do you find that?

Comment

Working...
                              X