[Hack BPG] Obcasus Rites for free

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    Will see on the matter - Communion may refund you the cost of Obcasus Initiate - but by RAW you need Initiatie Merit in the first place to have Communion events. So it looks like this 'Oh, I got now 10 Communions by now - now I can finally make Rites for the Dark Mother'.
    I'm not sure what this means. You agree that Communions effectively refund the investment into the Merit (and can do more since you can use Communion even after you've maxed out on Rites)... there's not logical connection to your last sentence from that. If you're confused, you're inserting things that aren't there.

To be frank - I think about players doing first Rite even in first session.
    If the players want that? Have one start with the Merit! You can start play with the Merit (it's a two dot Merit, you get 10 dots to start with), have a Guidance written into the character's backstory (easy enough, it's a narrative event), and they start with the Consecrate Rite, and it can be the final part of the first session as the Brood comes together, investigates an appropriate place of power, and makes it a temple.

This stuff practically writes itself... like the devs made this way easier than you're reading it to be.

If the players don't want that... Rites are a cool but unnecessary part of the game, forcing it on them isn't fun and will sour them on what should be awesome stuff to work in later if they don't start invested in it. Carrots to get them to dip into it, not sticks to force them into doing what you find interesting.

Making one of PCs after 2 or 3 scenes 'and now you need to pay my 2 XP for this Merit you need to progress story' - sounds a bit dick-ish on ST part, especially as they can have no XP to pay, yet.
    Yeah. Don't gate stuff behind XP. If none of the PCs have a trait or the XP to buy it (and the inclination to spend their XP in that direction!) don't make it a trait necessary to progress the story.

If none of the players build a character that uses guns... don't make shooting things with guns an essential plot point that requires success to resolve (esp. not before there's been time in the game to earn up XP and reasons for at least one of them to start buying up Firearms). This is something way beyond the role of Rites and the mechanics around them.

--------

While I'm trying to avoid getting too much into the frustrations with your previous threads, can you please address something for us?

You're playing in a situation where you have a high rotation of players and thus a lack of consistency in what traits the PCs are going to bring to the table. OK. I actually understand that, I've been there in a different style.

But instead of seeking advice on how to design better scenarios that can be adjusted on the fly to different characters, you seem intent on house ruling game concepts to be more universal to the character types in question, so you can force whatever thing you find interesting into the game regardless of what your current players might want to do.

IME, this doesn't work. In situations with high player rotation rates, players tend to get focused on a few specific things they want to do with their character (Aspirations are actually a good way to identify these as a formal game concept). If they know that long term play with the same set of characters is not happening, they're going to seek out short term plot points they want for their characters. This mentality does not fit well with, "I, the ST, found this awesome thing and now everyone playing today has to deal with it."

The most fun I've had playing in high rotation situations is with STs that focus on reading the room, figuring out what they have today, and running something that's as fun as possible for the PCs present rather than being overly focused on big plot stuff they want to see hit. If they really want to run a story about [Thing], but it's not something the players have gotten into yet, they find ways to showcase [Thing] see if the players bite and want to explore [Thing] too. Once there's at least a group of players into [Thing], then plots that deal heavily in [Thing] come up when those players are the dominant group at the table that session.

So... why aren't you doing that stuff? What's with the focus of trying to bend systems around instead of adapting your ST style to your situation?

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
      But instead of seeking advice on how to design better scenarios that can be adjusted on the fly to different characters, you seem intent on house ruling game concepts to be more universal to the character types in question, so you can force whatever thing you find interesting into the game regardless of what your current players might want to do.
      (...)
      So... why aren't you doing that stuff? What's with the focus of trying to bend systems around instead of adapting your ST style to your situation?
      Oh, the thing is - I WOULD want to have stable Table. I really despise, as ST, FATE-like one shot games. If that would be case, I would simply run Indie RPGs, I know few. I may run Beast one-shot scenario only becuase we have Ready Made Characters, so I can plan plot accodingly to them.

I'm the one ST that prepear center plot of chronicle. I run games to tell the story with my players, not episodic sitcom. ( Games move naturaly from time to time to those area, but it's not my main drive as ST to run games. )

Problem is simple - there are no stable Tables in Lublin, for a few years now. I maybe start to get one now in my RPG club, after running over year a one game - but still we need recruit next players, as some people do not have time after few months, because of life obligations. So high rotation in modern life expectation.

So to merry my and gameline ( by mechanics ) major stories plot drive with situation that people come and go in our local community - the slight changes to mechanics are inevitable. Beast is, for now, the best to do it - as I see, only Obcasus Rites are this small problem. The higher problems were with Werewolf, to be fair.

And yes, in slowly prepared Beast chronicle I think about focusing on searching Dark Mother - so Communion and Rites are natural extension of this drive.

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Dude, nobody is unsympathetic to your situation. A lot of us don't have the stable games we used to (or they every had them). What we're trying to say is that there's a theme to these threads, and it comes down to you fighting the system rather than trying to finesse the system to work with your situation.

You keep doing things like labeling Obcasus Rites a "problem," the they're not a problem. The way you insist on using them is a problem because it doesn't work for the situation you're stuck with.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
          Dude, nobody is unsympathetic to your situation. A lot of us don't have the stable games we used to (or they every had them). What we're trying to say is that there's a theme to these threads, and it comes down to you fighting the system rather than trying to finesse the system to work with your situation.

You keep doing things like labeling Obcasus Rites a "problem," the they're not a problem. The way you insist on using them is a problem because it doesn't work for the situation you're stuck with.
          To reinforce as much as I can the notion that people have problems with getting games together regardless of systems:

Dude, I live in a household of gamers, three of us with frequent fourth and fifth members. We all love this shit. I've been doing this since September.

We have barely had five game days in the entire time I have been here. And that is stretched over two different games.

Shit happens. You work around it.

When real life intervenes, you change the dynamic to fit the life. This household would honestly be happier trying a wide variety of one shot weekends than we do the current attempt at long running games. It's the fight I am building up right now, over time.

Not saying that's true for you, but that it is really something you want to consider.

Adapt or Die. It's an essential rule of life,and certainly fucking important for gaming.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
          Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Working...
          X