Has this game gained a fairly noticeable following

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has this game gained a fairly noticeable following

Just wondering. I really think this is a very unique edition to the chronicles of darkness and have read the corebook PDF, (can't find a free players guide though) and it would be a real shame to see this game get no new edition due to people overreacting after they did many of its problems

• IceBen
    replied
    Originally posted by Florin View Post
    Even without the endgame evolutions of Beasts, you can always bring people into your lair and merge with your Horror there. I could see a scenario where you chase/ get chased through the alleys of the city until they come to a dead end with a door, and that door leads to the chamber of your lair associated with that alley. The prey go through, and now they're really out of luck.
    Illusion of Safety is basically that A burrow straight to the heart, and no die rolling to see if it works.

Leave a comment:

• Florin
    replied
    Even without the endgame evolutions of Beasts, you can always bring people into your lair and merge with your Horror there. I could see a scenario where you chase/ get chased through the alleys of the city until they come to a dead end with a door, and that door leads to the chamber of your lair associated with that alley. The prey go through, and now they're really out of luck.

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    That's what I was thinking, but they say it's really more so you get an interactive epilogue to show the "happy" ending for you character

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    I must have missed the part where the Incarnates are not playable, because the stuff in the core is pretty comprehensive as that goes.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

Not without homebrewing: as of right now there are no official rules for playable Incarnates- or any of the Inheritances for that matter.

And all the published material as of right now state that being any of the Inheritances would alter the themes of Beasts too much to mesh with the regular setting and rulesets.
    One could play an Insatiable, they have more information on them that would enable playing them more easily than playing one of the Inheritances.

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
    Plus can't you just start a session on the highest level (forgot what they called it) and be incarnates, that way they can be a monster in the physical world right away instead of having to keep working toward that goal and sorting about getting killed or having a different inheritance
    Not without homebrewing: as of right now there are no official rules for playable Incarnates- or any of the Inheritances for that matter.

And all the published material as of right now state that being any of the Inheritances would alter the themes of Beasts too much to mesh with the regular setting and rulesets.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post
    I think the bigger issue for the crowd you mentioned was the lack of a general 'Beast' form in the real world (although I contend that opening a Primordial Pathway is that made more interesting).
    And that's why we have Skin Deep Atavism in Beast Player's Guide - it let's you PHYSICALLY change your human character to get some fantastic traits of yours Horror. And that was one of 'fixes' I needed myself to appreciate the game - look on my Horrors from mythologies topic - half of shown monsters I written in there have Skin Deep power with a reason...
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-01-2018, 01:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    Plus can't you just start a session on the highest level (forgot what they called it) and be incarnates, that way they can be a monster in the physical world right away instead of having to keep working toward that goal and sorting about getting killed or having a different inheritance

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    I do get people wanting to play creatures more physically, and thus not being into how Beast touches on that. Though the game never really sold itself as anything but what it is. The first blog post on the main page directly says the game is about people with monster souls (also we don't have to speculate that much on the purpose of the re-writes, there was a blog post all about it). .

Though really, having played a low Satiety strategy character with Atavisms as a main focus... you feel pretty damned like your horror's archetype even if you don't visually look it.

Leave a comment:

• ElvesofZion
    replied
    Originally posted by Teatime View Post
    The re-writes certainly did that, but I can only speculate what the intent behind it was.

Fair enough.

I think the bigger issue for the crowd you mentioned was the lack of a general 'Beast' form in the real world (although I contend that opening a Primordial Pathway is that made more interesting).

Leave a comment:

• Teatime
    replied
    The re-writes certainly did that, but I can only speculate what the intent behind it was.

Leave a comment:

• ElvesofZion
    replied
    Originally posted by nofather View Post
    In addition to a Player's Guide, Beast has a Night Horrors book, a fiction anthology, and assorted Dark Eras (including a Thousand and One Nights and the Necropolis at Hawara).

There is also Building A Legend; a very good campaign starter even for not Beast.

‚Äč

Originally posted by Teatime View Post
    While others already explained what caused the majority of the outrage, there is a secondary reason that made some people disappointed with the Corebook. The game advertises itself as letting you play a legendary monster, but in practice the monster is an external entity that latches itself onto you. If you starve yourself, it can roam the Dream and act independently of you. If you overfeed it, it can fall asleep and leave you mostly human. For many this brought a sense of separation between the character and the Horror and those readers felt like it wasn't what they were promised.
    Although the Kickstarter re-writes actually enforced that separation more with the change from Homecoming to Devouring, so it would seem some people had the opposite feeling.

Leave a comment:

• Teatime
    replied
    While others already explained what caused the majority of the outrage, there is a secondary reason that made some people disappointed with the Corebook. The game advertises itself as letting you play a legendary monster, but in practice the monster is an external entity that latches itself onto you. If you starve yourself, it can roam the Dream and act independently of you. If you overfeed it, it can fall asleep and leave you mostly human. For many this brought a sense of separation between the character and the Horror and those readers felt like it wasn't what they were promised.

Leave a comment:

• Cinder
    replied
    Originally posted by ajf115 View Post

I'll get someone to write it out on an ofuda for ease of nailing.
    Sounds like a plan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X