Has this game gained a fairly noticeable following

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has this game gained a fairly noticeable following

Just wondering. I really think this is a very unique edition to the chronicles of darkness and have read the corebook PDF, (can't find a free players guide though) and it would be a real shame to see this game get no new edition due to people overreacting after they did many of its problems

Considering this sub-forum has been fairly active, I'd say yes, it has a following.

Speaking for myself: the ideas and themes in Beast were always solid. I think it was the presentation of the game was what turned people off. But thankfully the newer releases have been doing a better job at making the intriguing ideas and themes clearer, especially the recently released Player's Guide.

This game appealing to some but not to others is nothing new to me. That's the big draw with Chronicles of Darkness (and by extension World of Darkness): the different gamelines have something for everyone to dig into and have fun with. Me personally: while I dig the hell out of Beast, Changeling, Demon, and Werewolf, I find Mage to be a little intimidating for me to dive right into and Vampire was always a tough sell because I don't find playing as vampires to be all that interesting.
    Last edited by tasti man LH; 04-29-2018, 10:05 PM.

Comment

There's definitely a following.

Also, Beast is a 2e game. It's not due for a new edition, because it was made for the current edition. If there's a Chronicles of Darkness 3rd edition, I doubt Beast will be skipped for an update, but that's a long way aways unless something drastic happens behind the scenes.

Comment

Thanks for the answer! It's just i was real worried this game was not gonna be realized for how it is. Luckily it seems to have the opposite of hype backlash where it was called bad but ended up being good if you give it a chance

Also tasti man LH and Heavy Arms, do y'all know why it still gets some hate by the overall community
        Last edited by Primordial newcomer; 04-29-2018, 11:22 PM.

Comment

In addition to a Player's Guide, Beast has a Night Horrors book, a fiction anthology, and assorted Dark Eras (including a Thousand and One Nights and the Necropolis at Hawara).

Comment

nofather, night horrors? I'm gonna be honest I've only got to read the corebook

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
              Also tasti man LH and Heavy Arms, do y'all know why it still gets some hate by the overall community
              In the case of the corebook, on the technical level it was a bit of a mess. It's one of the few big books where a rewrite of the corebook has happened. Unfortunately, they weren't as thorough as they would and in the final book there were still some artifacts left from the previous version. Which causes some odd clashes and confusion between the fluff and crunch.

The main issue is that the corebook presents the Beasts as serial abusers from Feeding. The type that delights in causing mental and emotional trauma in other people. And unlike the other CofD splats, they either can't take as many convenient shortcuts (for instance, Vampire having blood dolls and ghouls being consensual donors of blood, or subsisting off of blood bags) or it's just not optional (Demon's Pact system).

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                nofather, night horrors? I'm gonna be honest I've only got to read the corebook
                Night Horrors is a line that has antagonists for various game lines. The Beast one was called Conquering Heroes. There's a section of Hero antagonists, a section on Beast antagonists, and a new group called the Insatiable.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

In the case of the corebook, on the technical level it was a bit of a mess. It's one of the few big books where a rewrite of the corebook has happened. Unfortunately, they weren't as thorough as they would and in the final book there were still some artifacts left from the previous version. Which causes some odd clashes and confusion between the fluff and crunch.

The main issue is that the corebook presents the Beasts as serial abusers from Feeding. The type that delights in causing mental and emotional trauma in other people. And unlike the other CofD splats, they either can't take as many convenient shortcuts (for instance, Vampire having blood dolls and ghouls being consensual donors of blood, or subsisting off of blood bags) or it's just not optional (Demon's Pact system).
                  I think I know what you mean by artifacts tasti man LH, like the woman who wants men to touch her so she can break their bones, right?

Also thanks nofather (so no actually need to do name tags for y'all to see I posted something toward you)

Comment

As to the controversy that strongly hangs around the game:

I've consistently felt there's a "can't see the forest for the trees" issue. People get wrapped up in a specific analogy, example, or whatever, and ignore the context it is meant to be in.

Beast is very much a game about cyclical violence. Beasts are the half the recognizes this and thus has the power to try to subvert it, while Heroes are the half that doubles down into the cycle. The problem is when using real world examples, Beasts and Heroes can be either "side" of a repeated violence. Beasts are both in many ways outsiders for things beyond their control and victims of circumstance, and abusers that perpetuate violence and pain.

So when you try to say that a Beast finding their true identity after being haunted by their Horror in their Dream before the Devouring is like a trans people trying to figure out their identity, we see a lot of people then jump on that as trying to say, "Oh so the means trans people are violent abusers."

When you use hate groups to help explain the psychology of Heroes, people look at how Beasts tend to create their own Heroes via irresponsible feeding, and say, "oh, the book is saying the KKK exists because of black people not being perfect."

And really, once that impression sunk in, it's justifiably hard to shake people out of it. There's nothing anyone could say to get me to play MYFAROG... there's nothing in my mind that could separate the game (if you don't know about it, warning, it's not a fun thing to look into esp. re: racism, antisemitism, murder, and arson). from it's creator and the content he added because he's who he is. Maybe there's a great wonderful RPG if you cut out a few pages, but I'm never going to care to learn that, and I can't imagine anything someone can say that would disabuse me of my stance.

Beast doesn't have the same issues as that in terms of content, but there's enough messy spots in the language that can turn people off the book, and they have no responsibility to us to change their impression. I can do my best to try to advocate a fair reading in public (like these forums) but I'm not going to blame people for getting the wrong message from the text as it stands.

Comment

There's also a number of people who have made or are making fan Dark Eras for Beast, which takes a lot of time commitment. I'd say that's a strong indicator the game has a following and that those who like it are very passionate about it.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Heavy Arms I've never thought of it that way, I can see how many would be turned off by it

Second Chances that's awesome! I did not know there were people that commited to the game

Comment

I was one of the guys interested in concept of Beast gameline, but turn off by mess of the corebook. Now, with Beast Player's Guide that I end reading, I can assert you whole gameline is very solid as whole. I was frown upon by making many topics about it lately, to clear a large portions of setting to me, but I think you can look on them and get more coherent view of the game. Just see links below.

I want to run a Beast - but do not know what to do
                          What brood can do together ( i.e. chronicles ideas )
                          Horrors from mythologies ( NPCs ideas )
                          Beasts interactions with Lair HOW-TO
                          Primordial Cults inspirations
                          Inguma - Family of Outsiders
                          Soundtracks of Beasts

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

The following was always there, and consisted of passionate and dedicated people, but it's growing. The Player's Guide did wonders and it's being in a solid place since release when it comes to sells (at least judging from DriveThru RPG's list of bestselling titles). There was quite a bit of trepidation for it, and the weeks before the release were like taking a deep breath before a jump, but the book delivered what it promised and even more.

I think Beast's in a good spot right now and that future's looks bright
                            Last edited by Cinder; 04-30-2018, 07:35 AM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

I can only add that Beast Player's Guide IS LITERALLY Game Changer. In my POV, BPG should simply be called 'BtP corebook 2', it's how much it changes and expand even in fundametal elements of game. Really, first thing you do after getting BtP corebook is buying BPG, best at once. Get this book - right now! 😎

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                              X