Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BPG: Talassii Curse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BPG: Talassii Curse

    Giving that beasts feed on fear why do Talassii see being assumed to be a rapist as a reputation to run away from.

    Like I get why a regular human would, it's a horrible thing to just assume about another person, or even other supernatural creatures, but even if the Talassii aren't inclined to act on it, wouldn't their curse make it easier to cause fear? I mean there are plentry of people who fear rape about all else.

    On a OOC level I get it, who wants to make other people at the table uncomfortable, I'm looking for an IC reason.

  • #2
    I assume it was mostly an ic excuse for the ooc "hey guys, rape isn't cool, even if you are literally a monster" thing.

    Comment


    • #3
      Because even a being (that still has a mostly human outlook on life) that feeds on fear would get tired and annoyed that they are constantly pigeon-holed into a very specific subset/related concept (and a squicky one at that) of the one they actually represent. As an individual Beast, if your Hunger leads you to a different path than rape, wouldn't it be frustrating if everyone always assumed you were gonna rape your victims?

      They feed on fear, that doesn't mean they should be one-dimensional.


      (he/him/his)


      Backer #2010

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post
        Because even a being (that still has a mostly human outlook on life) that feeds on fear would get tired and annoyed that they are constantly pigeon-holed into a very specific subset/related concept (and a squicky one at that) of the one they actually represent. As an individual Beast, if your Hunger leads you to a different path than rape, wouldn't it be frustrating if everyone always assumed you were gonna rape your victims?

        They feed on fear, that doesn't mean they should be one-dimensional.
        Kind of like that Dexter Episode where he's about to murder tat cop he has tied up in surand wrap and she asks if he's going to rape her, and he's all shocked and horrified that the woman he stripped naked, wrapped up, and has admitted to planning on murdering thinks he's a rapist.

        Comment


        • #5
          Given that rape is generally considered a whole differnt level of crime even amongst convicted murderers, that alone is enough so yeah.

          Also, stereotypes are just always bad and grating over the long term anyway. Rape being squicky just ups the level to a whole higher degree.


          (he/him/his)


          Backer #2010

          Comment


          • #6
            Because even monsters have dignity?


            Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
            Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Also, question: Why the fuck is this even a question?


              Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

              Comment


              • #8
                I can also imagine that the Talassii don't like the rapist thing because it's ceding the narrative to human irrational fears instead of fears the Talassii control. The fear of some stranger kidnapping you and raping you is a fear of something fairly rare for most people to experience. The majority of rape is acquaintance rape, not stranger rape. However, stranger rape maintains a much stronger society level focus. Creating a panic of some serial kidnapping rapist causes fear, yes, but it isn't inherently fear the Beast can actually feed from (Beasts have specific Hungers to fulfill, not just causing fear). It's also fear that's very likely to stoke up vigilantism and with it Heroes.

                If a Talassi's Hunger gain's no benefit from the violation and toxic domination of rape... it's all downsides to get caught in the stranger danger narrative.

                It's also a fairly sad commentary on real world humanity that a Makara Tyrant that feeds via date rape could easily go unnoticed for decades (considering things like Alien Allure and Advanced Striking Looks), while a Talassii Whisper that kidnaps people and torments them into giving up secrets would be a media sensation extremely quickly; and could easily have their plans derailed if their target is so scared of being raped that whatever other torments were planned lose any emotional weight.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                  I can also imagine that the Talassii don't like the rapist thing because it's ceding the narrative to human irrational fears instead of fears the Talassii control. The fear of some stranger kidnapping you and raping you is a fear of something fairly rare for most people to experience. The majority of rape is acquaintance rape, not stranger rape. However, stranger rape maintains a much stronger society level focus. Creating a panic of some serial kidnapping rapist causes fear, yes, but it isn't inherently fear the Beast can actually feed from (Beasts have specific Hungers to fulfill, not just causing fear). It's also fear that's very likely to stoke up vigilantism and with it Heroes.

                  If a Talassi's Hunger gain's no benefit from the violation and toxic domination of rape... it's all downsides to get caught in the stranger danger narrative.

                  It's also a fairly sad commentary on real world humanity that a Makara Tyrant that feeds via date rape could easily go unnoticed for decades (considering things like Alien Allure and Advanced Striking Looks), while a Talassii Whisper that kidnaps people and torments them into giving up secrets would be a media sensation extremely quickly; and could easily have their plans derailed if their target is so scared of being raped that whatever other torments were planned lose any emotional weight.
                  Tassili's who thing is Kidnapping isn't so anything that makes the kidnapping scarier should enhance make it more filling right. I mean even the she does nothing worse then leer at her kidnapped victim, shouldn't that directly relate to at least some possible hungers?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                    Also, question: Why the fuck is this even a question?
                    It was made a thing in the Family's write up, but it seems strange to me given the nature of Beasts.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                      Tassili's who thing is Kidnapping isn't so anything that makes the kidnapping scarier should enhance make it more filling right.
                      No. Hungers need to be addressed. It can't just be, "make it scarier," because, "scare people," isn't a Hunger. As well, things get more filling the more specific and difficult it is. A Collector gets a higher feeding potential when what they grab for their hoard is more rare/unique and more difficult to get; not by doing more to scare the current owner beyond the shock of the target's loss. A Tyrant that has already cowed someone into a bawling mess begging to do anything the Tyrant demands, tacking on more "scare" doesn't do anything.


                      Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

                      It was made a thing in the Family's write up, but it seems strange to me given the nature of Beasts.
                      The BPG does actually address this though. The Talassii don't like being mischaracterized. It doesn't really need more of an explanation than that.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                        Tassili's who thing is Kidnapping isn't so anything that makes the kidnapping scarier should enhance make it more filling right.
                        Wrong.

                        The whole thing of how the Begotten feed has nothing to do with abiding dread and everything to do with the moment of resolution — taking most of a week to feed on a victim results in a more filling meal for reasons that have nothing to do with how long the victim spent in the emotional on-ramp to the shock.


                        Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You want to build a legend of your own, not something they label you with. Also, as others said it before, you aren't necessarily a fearmonger, it could really hinder you if your target fears you while you are in the process of setting up a feeding. (This depends on hunger of course, an enabler's plans would be straight up foiled, while a ravager would most likely be happy with it)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Everyone said all that needs to be said, so lemme just add an IC story hook on top of it.

                            Talassii who don identities as rapists will find Kin among Carnala’s brood. And considering what Carnala is, this is no moment of happy acceptance and resolution.


                            MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Baalphegor

                              I think given the nature of Beasts, they feed on the terror and suffering they cause, feeding their Hungers, who attract the approval of Baalphegor Maeljin of Gluttony, more then Carnala.

                              In fact maybe the Goetic reflection of Baalphegor might be the Dark Mother or perhaps the Primogenitor of the Insatibles.
                              Last edited by Omegaphallic; 05-03-2018, 08:25 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X