Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help in seeing the Appeal of being a Beast.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korogra
    started a topic Need help in seeing the Appeal of being a Beast.

Need help in seeing the Appeal of being a Beast.

So a couple of times a year I get it in my head that I am going to finally run and/or play Beast, but then every time I read the book in order to properly build a character or create a chronicle for it.. I rapidly lose interest and put the book away. I’ve never been able to find anything about the Children as people or as monsters to be remotely appealing or sympathetic, no matter how many times I try to give it a fair shake or read the book from cover to cover.

Nearly the entire thing from the smug and unwarranted superiority complex that all Beasts have to their superfluous and pointless goal of teaching humanity what it already has long since learned and mastered/incomprehensible and contradictory explanations on how one can fulfill one’s Hunger, to the hypocrisy they exhibit when it comes to Heroes and how they are utterly horrible bad bullies who just need to leave Beasts alone - all of it just makes me look at them and go “ No, fuck you. I’m not buying this special snowflake otherkin breakfast cereal you’re trying to sell me.”

Which really, really sucks. Some things about the game are amazing like the Lair, Nightmares and Atavisms, and Kinship stuff ( for the most part, their hatred for Demons is both retarded and irrelevant , the whole “ They Aren’t of the Dark Mother” bullshit was somewhat invalidated by the Inguma, who represent a completely rational and human constructed fear that was not a facet of the primordial unknown) and I really like them... but everything else is abrasive like sand paper on road rash.

Long story short, can you guys help me see the appeal of playing or running Beast? I’d like to hear what your experiences are, maybe that might give me a fresh perspective..
    Last edited by Korogra; 05-07-2018, 01:37 PM.

• Tessie
    replied
    While Abyssal entities as a rule aren't Kin (according to DaveB in another thread, so actually dev intent rather than an official rule) it really wouldn't surprise me if some of them broke that rule. They're from the Abyss, after all.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    I think they more meant that Inguma is a young family, created from fears that previously didn't warrant that family a place in the Primordial Dream. Hence, humans should be able to learn to fear the Unchained, and thereby make them Kin. The problem is that it's probably the Unchained's removal from humanity that makes them not Kin. Even spirits, one of the few Kin that never were human at all, still live in the same spiritual/resonance ecosystem as humans. Demons are instead wholly created by something completely inhuman, and have invaded the human ecosystem rather than originally belonging to it. That's my theory as to why Demons (and Abyssal entities) aren't Kin.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Originally posted by Korogra View Post
    somewhat invalidated by the Inguma, who represent a completely rational and human constructed fear that was not a facet of the primordial unknown)

I might be misinterpreting your words, but I just realized this particular line is inaccurate.

Xenophobia and fear of the Other has been around for longer than humans have. It exists within the rest of the animal kingdom, too!

Leave a comment:

• BigDamnHero
    replied
    I feel like in the final draft there's room for both Homecomings and Devourings. At least I've never read anywhere in any of the books that Beasts are ever anything but proto-Beasts before their Devouring, and you can't turn a non-Beast into a Beast regardless of what you do to their dream form.

Leave a comment:

• Wormwood
    replied
    Originally posted by RickmanUK View Post
    Only thing i can Chip in is this: EVERY Splat in there first book of the line reads as "We're Important/Ancient/Powerful and we know about how the world really works" It's because the first books are usually written to be stand alone enough to use without the rest of the Gamelines. They are like the Pirate code... "Guidelines" for the setting and how these creatures see themselves.

Personally I enjoyed the first/original concept of Beast's being "Born" as they are and just coming to realise they are monsters. THIS DOES NOT INVALIDATE THEM GROWING UP AS HUMANS. Most of the fun would be from coming to terms with having new needs they HAVE to fulfill, and figuring ways of doing that without harming that many people. In some cases this means they become Bullies and "Terrors of the Kitchen" or stuff like that (Gordan Ramsey as a Beast maybe...?) in other cases it means finding a job that let's them Use there skills.
    Gordon Ramsay would make an EXCELLENT Ugallu Tyrant.
    Other than that, yeah, I agree with the 'being born different' sentiment, and in my headcannon, it also applies. So there's both Homecoming and Devouring.

Leave a comment:

• SunlessNick
    replied
    Going back to appealing things about Beast for a moment, the activities that Beasts engage in to feed their Horrors include behaviour that if a human was doing could garner reactions ranging from abhorrence, punishment, suspicion, indifference, tolerance, and praise. Which is unique among the supernatural species, and a good vehicle for looking at the currents of evil or dominance that thread through all human society.

Leave a comment:

• RickmanUK
    replied
    Only thing i can Chip in is this: EVERY Splat in there first book of the line reads as "We're Important/Ancient/Powerful and we know about how the world really works" It's because the first books are usually written to be stand alone enough to use without the rest of the Gamelines. They are like the Pirate code... "Guidelines" for the setting and how these creatures see themselves.

Personally I enjoyed the first/original concept of Beast's being "Born" as they are and just coming to realise they are monsters. THIS DOES NOT INVALIDATE THEM GROWING UP AS HUMANS. Most of the fun would be from coming to terms with having new needs they HAVE to fulfill, and figuring ways of doing that without harming that many people. In some cases this means they become Bullies and "Terrors of the Kitchen" or stuff like that (Gordan Ramsey as a Beast maybe...?) in other cases it means finding a job that let's them Use there skills.

Leave a comment:

• ArchonAres
    replied
    Originally posted by nalak42 View Post

Most of the mitigation I see tends to be less, "Oh woe is me I'm a monster, and I don't want to hurt anyone" and much more practical, "I don't care what they said about your cooking, if you murder everyone in the restaurant the cops will come after us, and then we have to kill the cops -again- and then we have to deal with the NWO again. Do you wanna fight those freaky Matrix fuckers again, cause I don't."
    This... Sounds like the actions and words of a number of my games. Especially the "again" part.

Leave a comment:

• milo v3
    replied
    You will probably look like a corpse though in the vampire case of being a constantly monstrous or animalistic killer.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    This is overwhelmingly, unfathomably wrong.

The things it takes to lose your last dot in 1e's systems are generally so egregious as to be unbelievable. You can get to the point where your character is a serial killer and still be in the playable range.

Ah, then that's much better. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    I might not be entirely clear on how degeneration rolls are handled in game. At the moment, I'm lead to believe that every time your character does something horrific, they have to check for if they descend on the chart. Which I take to meaning that once you get too low to care anymore, your slide to mindless creature becomes inevitable.
    This is overwhelmingly, unfathomably wrong.

The things it takes to lose your last dot in 1e's systems are generally so egregious as to be unbelievable. You can get to the point where your character is a serial killer and still be in the playable range.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    It seems worth noting that there's a 1e vs 2e disconnect here. 2e significantly changed Humanity and Harmony from 1e.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post

Its not about playing a human, its about playing a person. the concept here is you are more than race/class as to your identity. Being a vampire is just the bloody cherry (bitter sweet tho it is) on top.

Also, its not because its 'forbidden' that your character wouldnt have a reason to do it and wouldnt try to get away with it.

Also also, the cannibal barbeque thing (which my girlfriend proposed calling it a baby barbeque or babyque if you will, as it is both punnier and more horrible, sigh i love her so much) you can easily do that as a vampire. I'm seeing it as a texan american take on a macellarius kind of party. It just makes the character a low humanity vampire which is not only a valid character option but a very interesting one to play. I dont get how you feel you cant play a low humanity vampire (or low anything from the other splat really).

As for Beast even if their satiety stat doesnt correlate to a morality scale, it doesnt mean that it doesnt generate ample struggle versus the character supernatural nature and the character as a person (not a human, a person). Which, by the way, is the same thing, humanity in vampire does. Albeit with a stronger theme of loss of control over yourself.

As for the Beast players guide ... i really have to buy it at some point (with all the positive points i'm hearing about it). If only OPP would stop putting out kickstarters that eat at my ttrpg book budget :P.

I might not be entirely clear on how degeneration rolls are handled in game. At the moment, I'm lead to believe that every time your character does something horrific, they have to check for if they descend on the chart. Which I take to meaning that once you get too low to care anymore, your slide to mindless creature becomes inevitable.

And yes, I'm also interested in getting the player's guide, too. New Families and New Hungers.
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 05-10-2018, 12:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    I have to disagree with the idea of largely playing human stories. The thing that drew me to the World of Darkness series is the opportunity to play from the side of the monsters after decades of gaming had gotten me accustomed to playing things from the human perspective. And then I later found out that most of the monsters under control of the players are actually just misunderstood creatures and trying to mitigate the damage they cause.
    Most of the mitigation I see tends to be less, "Oh woe is me I'm a monster, and I don't want to hurt anyone" and much more practical, "I don't care what they said about your cooking, if you murder everyone in the restaurant the cops will come after us, and then we have to kill the cops -again- and then we have to deal with the NWO again. Do you wanna fight those freaky Matrix fuckers again, cause I don't."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X