No announcement yet.

Games as inspiration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if this makes much sense, but what about Lara croft as inguma whisperer, representing the foreigner out to uncover your own secrets and culture of your civilization/life

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
      I don't know if this makes much sense, but what about Lara croft as inguma whisperer, representing the foreigner out to uncover your own secrets and culture of your civilization/life
      Hmm... It's possible that the more "Weird" of her adventures are her exploring Mage Mysteries... Locations long Lost. In this case shes an Inguma that feeds on the Secrets that the Mages have forgotten

Light and Dark are two Sides of a Coin... Humanity is What Happens when it Lands on it's Edge.

Comment

Dragon's Dogma (as always) You could even play the water from that game!

Comment

While it's not exact, Dracula from Lords of Shadow 2 is very beast-like. His castle works a lot like a Lair, and you even lure an unkillable boss to it to make them vulnerable later in the game. There's also something like a horror in the form of the personality of the Castle itself.

Comment

Originally posted by sufferian View Post
            While it's not exact, Dracula from Lords of Shadow 2 is very beast-like. His castle works a lot like a Lair, and you even lure an unkillable boss to it to make them vulnerable later in the game. There's also something like a horror in the form of the personality of the Castle itself.
            Oh my god, Castlevania's Dracula in general is such a great concept for a Beast with Kindred (and a thousand other) Ties, I don't see how I could miss this all this time! Thank you !
            If taking lords of Shadow 1 and 2, you could even have the very unusual development of a Hero becoming a Beast (the DLC where Gabriel fought the Demon and stole his power would then amount to his Devouring, turning him into an Anakim - the true Horror not being the Demon, but the boundless Power).

Sorry for the long radio silence, been quite busy.

Anywho, I'd recommend watching the first few minutes of gameplay of Conarium, because I think it captures the surrealism of a Lair quite well (remember, dream logic means your Makara can easily have an underwater Lair without Suffocating, Crushing, Flooded... it is simply breathable water that's thin as air).

Comment

Some more LoL Champs as Begotten:

Cho'Gath: The Champion is an Anakim Predator Horror, bringing with it such Atavsisms as Siren's Treacherous Song, Vengeful Earth, Limb from Limb, Ravenous Maw, Looming Presence to represent his AoE Q and W as well as his Ultimate.

Maokai: A Talassii Nemesis Horror with Monster from the Deep, Caught in the Web, Relentless Hunter, Vengeful Earth and Looming Presence.

Janna: A Makara Nemesis with Alien Allure and Storm-Lashed as well as some Obcasus Rites

Annie: Anakim Tyrant with Tibbers as her Horror, Dragonbreath to represent her abilities, and 3-Dot Horrorspawn for her ultimate.

Vladimir: is a Beast, the Horror some vaguely-humanoid shaped pool of blood. Inguma Predator with Infestation (Pool of Blood), Vengeful Earth-refluffed to Bloodlust (AoE attacks + Ranged)

Illaoi: Rare aquatic Anakim Tyrant with Smashing Currents and Monster from the Deep. Ouroborous is her Horror.

Zyra: Eshmaki Predator with Caught in the Web, several 1 and 2 dot Horrorspawn and Vengeful Earth(refluffed to Malice of the Forest)

Malphite: Anakim Nemesis with Titanic Blow, Unbreakable and Vengeful Earth.

Urgot (as Crabgot preferrably): Namtaru Predator with Cyclopean Strength, Crushing Coils, Caught in the Web, Ravenous Maw

Dr. Mundo: Anakim Ravager. Relentless Hunter, Looming Presence, Cyclopean Strength, and a changed Dragonbreath that throws out the range to instead deal AoE Flame Damage of varying strength.

Do you agree? What would you change?

Comment

Originally posted by Wormwood View Post

Illaoi: Rare aquatic Anakim Tyrant with Smashing Currents and Monster from the Deep. Ouroborous is her Horror.
                Ouroboros? Isn't her schtick being the priestess of a kraken-god?

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                  Ouroboros? Isn't her schtick being the priestess of a kraken-god?
                  You're right that the name is wrong, the name is actually Nagakabouros. Sounding a lot like a snake-like being, it is also called The Bearded Lady, The Great Kraken and The Mother Serpent. Fittingly, it is the deity of the Snake islands, and is described basically as a serpent head with innumerable spiraling tentacles. Now that is some good Horror imagery, is it not?

Edit: thinking about it, Illaoi seems more and more like a very good template for a Beast: priestess of a monster-god worshiping cult? Check.
                  Abilities 'granted' through aforementioned monster? Check.
                  Teaching a tough lesson that is meant to educate through harm ("I don't hold sermons, broken bones teach better lessons")? Check.
                  Last edited by Wormwood; 07-11-2018, 07:31 AM.

Comment

You're right that the name is wrong, the name is actually Nagakabouros. Sounding a lot like a snake-like being, it is also called The Bearded Lady, The Great Kraken and The Mother Serpent. Fittingly, it is the deity of the Snake islands, and is described basically as a serpent head with innumerable spiraling tentacles. Now that is some good Horror imagery, is it not?

Edit: thinking about it, Illaoi seems more and more like a very good template for a Beast: priestess of a monster-god worshiping cult? Check.
                    Abilities 'granted' through aforementioned monster? Check.
                    Teaching a tough lesson that is meant to educate through harm ("I don't hold sermons, broken bones teach better lessons")? Check.
                    I love Illaoi so much, for a lot of different reasons. Even now that I've dropped LoL for quite a while because I really dislike the recent meta, she's still one of my favorites. She would be a great Begotten indeed.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                      I love Illaoi so much, for a lot of different reasons. Even now that I've dropped LoL for quite a while because I really dislike the recent meta, she's still one of my favorites. She would be a great Begotten indeed.
                      She's even got the 'harsh lessons' schtick going on: "I'm not big on sermons - broken bones teach better lessons."

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                        If you ever feel like playing some unranked games for fun, let me know via PM =D

Currently trying to get into Pyke, since I like his character design so much. I think he could be a good Begotten or Bound template.

Comment

If you ever feel like playing some unranked games for fun, let me know via PM =D

Currently trying to get into Pyke, since I like his character design so much. I think he could be a good Begotten or Bound template.
                          Can I get in on that?

As for Pyke, while I can see him as a Beast - either Nemesis or Ravager, Makara, with the Drowned Ones as his Horror - I think he works better as a Geist. he's got the Tear-Stained Key, obviously, and his knife/skewer thing is a Momento.

Comment

Can I get in on that?

As for Pyke, while I can see him as a Beast - either Nemesis or Ravager, Makara, with the Drowned Ones as his Horror - I think he works better as a Geist. he's got the Tear-Stained Key, obviously, and his knife/skewer thing is a Momento.
                            Of course!
                            Currently not active in LoL or any computer games really, since I am a dad now for about a week, and the little one needs my attention (or rather, I find it hard to sit down and do things not related to him for longer stretches of time) but once things have settled in, I am up for a few games =D Be warned though: I am not very good (Bronze 5 due to never playing ranked - people take that way too seriously) and European, so Ping might be hell =D

I wholeheartedly agree (and look forwards to adapting him into a bound), but I think if you wanted to adapt him into a Begotten, it'd work reasonably well.
                            In other news, Annie was quite the surprise to me, because she'd work as both an Anakim Begotten with Tibbers as her Horror and -spawn as well as an Inguma Horror =D Also, most of her skills can be represented with one Atavism, which makes porting her over rather easy. Her Shield however... not so much. Taking you with me (homebrew atavism) would maybe come the closest. Or refluffin Smashing Currents might work.

In general, when trying to look at games (still going to do War from Darksiders!) for inspiration, I noticed that when it comes to Shields, Mobility and Lifesteal, those tend to be hard to adapt into Atavims or Abilities. This is slightly annoying especially in the case of characters where the lifesteal schtick is their whole bread and butter, e.g. Vladimir.
                            I also think our current Lifedrinker Atavism is too strong, though. I think I'll try to work on that as well as refluffing Vengeful Earth in a few ways, which has come to my attention as being incredibly versatile.

I considered Kratos as a Begotten and even used him as a template for one of my character concepts in the corresponding thread, but I think he'd also make a great Promethean.
                            Btw, Death to Light or whatever its name was would be definitly the core-skill of Nocturne turned into a Begotten (plus he'd make an amazing Unfettered due to his Backstory)

Comment

Of course!
                              Currently not active in LoL or any computer games really, since I am a dad now for about a week, and the little one needs my attention (or rather, I find it hard to sit down and do things not related to him for longer stretches of time) but once things have settled in, I am up for a few games =D Be warned though: I am not very good (Bronze 5 due to never playing ranked - people take that way too seriously) and European, so Ping might be hell =D
                              Great! I'm not too great either - I never had the patience to really play ranked - and I live in Europe too, so I think we should be able to manage there.

And congratulations on dad-hood!

In general, when trying to look at games (still going to do War from Darksiders!) for inspiration, I noticed that when it comes to Shields, Mobility and Lifesteal, those tend to be hard to adapt into Atavims or Abilities. This is slightly annoying especially in the case of characters where the lifesteal schtick is their whole bread and butter, e.g. Vladimir.
                              I also think our current Lifedrinker Atavism is too strong, though. I think I'll try to work on that as well as refluffing Vengeful Earth in a few ways, which has come to my attention as being incredibly versatile.
                              Well, there was that Draining Kiss Atavism from the homebrew Atavisms thread, but that was more 'vampirism' than 'lifesteal'.

Comment

Great! I'm not too great either - I never had the patience to really play ranked - and I live in Europe too, so I think we should be able to manage there.

And congratulations on dad-hood!

Well, there was that Draining Kiss Atavism from the homebrew Atavisms thread, but that was more 'vampirism' than 'lifesteal'.
                                Good conditions, indeed.
                                Also thanks mate!

Demacians ae good templates for Heroes - as are their Noxian counterparts.
                                Garen and Jarvan 4. definitly could make for great Heroes with their focus on Justice. Chosen Blade is definitly a thing, Real World for J4 (representing his ult trapping you), Garen having the Armor and Strength Gifts. Draven is a relentlesly glory-seeking hero, Darius a "ends justifies the means" one.

Quite obvious, which is why I might've missed her before: Shyvanna could make for a curious Dragonbreath and Skin Deep gifted Begotten. Throw in some Looming Presence, and something to resemble the AoE fire damage, and we're all good.

Comment

Working...
                                X