Caliban [Beast Minor Template]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caliban [Beast Minor Template]

The Begotten are children of the Dark Mother, their Horrors born in Her dark Lair, emerging forth to terrify and consume. But a Beast is not their Horror alone - their bodies outside the Primordial Dream remain as human as they were before their Devouring. And humans are known to have children. Most of the offspring of Beasts are human too, even after the Devouring. Some, however, for reasons unknown, retain a stronger connection to the monstrous side of their parent. These children, called Caliban by those with an affection for Shakespeare and/or theater, possess a portion of their progenitor's primal abilities and hungers.

Born of Monsters

Creating a Caliban is much like making any other mortal character - they are, after all, still mostly human. Where they differ is as follows:that they possess Unseen Sense (Primordial Dream), a Birthright and Atavisms like their Beast forebears, as well as a Hunger and the ability to acquire Beast-only Merits.

Unseen Sense (Primordial Dream)
    The children of Beasts possess an uncanny sense for products of the Primordial Dream's influence, if not their parent's general sense of the supernatural.

Birthright
    Caliban can purchase Merits as though they were a Cultist of a Beast with the same Family as their ancestor.

Atavisms
    All Caliban possess at least one Atavism, frequently one their parent had or one suited to their Family. Atavisms use the Caliban's current Integrity rating instead of Satiety, and can voluntarily lower their Integrity to trigger the Satiety Expenditure effect. Lair is treated as if they had 1 dot. They can use Experience to acquire others.

Hunger
    Caliban possess a Hunger like Begotten do though since they lack Satiety, its effects manifest in a different manner. They can roll for Feeding, measuring Satiety Potential as normal, but they subtract their current Integrity from the dice pool. Instead of points of Satiety, they gain Monstrous Beats. The Experiences gained from these Beats can be spent to increase Integrity or acquire Atavisms.

Merits
    Caliban can qualify for Beast-only Merits, as long as they can satisfy any other prerequisites.

Anathema
    The nature of the Caliban render them vulnerable to the Anathema imposed by Heroes - and without a Horror to protect them and their monstrous heritage so close to the surface, they can always be applied.
    Side-Bar: Mark of the Beast
    While Atavisms are usually subtle and only manifest outward signs to supernatural viewers, or when extreme effort is expended, Caliban have their inner-monster a bit closer to the surface. At lower Integrity (4 or less), their Atavisms start warping their bodies - never to the point they aren't recognizably human any more, but signs of them are clearly present.

So, here's what I've come up with so far. Additional flavor, or advice upon the mechanics would be appreciated. The purpose behind this is A) For the children of Begotten to have some bloodline-based effect (suitable for potential crossing with other splat's inherent minor templates) and B) offering an "intro" Mortal+ Template, for players to use some of Beast's mechanics without having to deal with all of them at once.
    Last edited by Vent0; 06-05-2018, 09:53 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

What about having there be two distinct 'types' of Caliban, one connected most strongly to the Horror, manifesting Atavisms, and the other more closely connected to the Lair and the Dark Dream, manifesting Nightmares? Perhaps the latter could lack a Birthright, but instead have some ability to manifest Lair Traits, although they wouldn't have an actual Lair? Or maybe they could have a Lair, but it's limited to only one Chamber? Their Pathways would have to be limited as well.
    Last edited by ajf115; 05-27-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

When I here caliban I think , the LIon

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
        What about having there be two distinct 'types' of Caliban, one connected most strongly to the Horror, manifesting Atavisms, and the other more closely connected to the Lair and the Dark Dream, manifesting Nightmares? Perhaps the latter could lack a Birthright, but instead have some ability to manifest Lair Traits, although they wouldn't have an actual Lair? Or maybe they could have a Lair, but it's limited to only one Chamber? Their Pathways would have to be limited as well.
        I'd call them something different, to keep the distinction clear. I think the Nightmares & Dreamscapes: Incursions from the Primordial Dream thread has Dark Lords (Humans who form a kind of Lair).

Honestly, You could carve out separate parts of the Beast template and have a lot of fun still. And if you were able to combine them? All the better.

Comment

We never really agreed on the Dark Lord mechanics though. Having them be the Nightmare minor template seems interesting though

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
            We never really agreed on the Dark Lord mechanics though. Having them be the Nightmare minor template seems interesting though
            Oh, I thought they had their own Lair (basically) and used those rules?

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Oh, I thought they had their own Lair (basically) and used those rules?

They had a lair, but I'm not sure if they could call it down or even give it traits. Also, if we're really into them being Persona 5 villains, they need to somehow be dungeon crawlable while still being only one chamber. Also, there was mention of powerful minions or something that never got expanded on.

Comment

They had a lair, but I'm not sure if they could call it down or even give it traits. Also, if we're really into them being Persona 5 villains, they need to somehow be dungeon crawlable while still being only one chamber. Also, there was mention of powerful minions or something that never got expanded on.
                Well, we have the Minions and Thralls Lair Traits now.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                  Two inspirational ideas:
                  • Primordial Dream-based predators that hunt Horrors. Not Insatiables (who steal Chambers) but actual critters (animal intelligence or not) that hunt the Horror itself.
                  • [cross posted] Dungeons - super-Chambers in the Primordial Dream with "depth". The Beast needs to enter at the shallowest layer and clear the depths to claim it (with some extra bonus). Like a Lair on its own, without a Horror (though it might be populated by other fearsome inhabitants). Beast-specific dungeon-crawls!

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                    Well, we have the Minions and Thralls Lair Traits now.

Thralls could work, but I forget how powerful they are supposed to be. I doubt they'll be as varied as the Shadows, but them being like the Shadow's masked forms if that was their true form, with one to three enemy types per Lair could work.

EDIT: Thralls by RAW with these guys wouldn't work. You get half your Lair in Thralls rounded up, and I assume these guys are never going past Lair 1 till they get Devoured. Plus, if these guys don't have atavisms, how do you determine which atavisms the Thralls get? Maybe individual enemies could be Cinder's Night Terrors for more powerful Lairs?
                    Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 05-28-2018, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Thralls could work, but I forget how powerful they are supposed to be. I doubt they'll be as varied as the Shadows, but them being like the Shadow's masked forms if that was their true form, with one to three enemy types per Lair could work.
                      I think Thralls use half the Horror's simplified Attributes and each has one of the Beast's Atavisms.

Comment

We should probably go to the general Incursions thread and leave this thread to the Atavism minor template though.

Comment

So, does anyone have any input on the Caliban? I'm doing something different with Hunger so that they can restore their Integrity without draining their XP, and so using the Satiety Expenditure effect becomes an actual option. If they did have Lair (and thus, Lair Traits) I could have just let them use "spend Willpower" option from there. But Lair doesn't fit their conceptual theme. Of course, Lair also is the key power driver behind Atavisms, so there is that too.

Is giving them the Birthright as well too much? It helps define their Family (and thus, in-Family Atavisms). I thought about letting them purchase one as an Atavism, but it doesn't fit in with other Atavism mechanics enough to be directly equivalent.

Comment

How about implementing Hunger as not a “full” Hunger, but a specialized long-term Aspiration? Or maybe it’s a series of self-asserting short term Aspirations that change on context; the Aspiration becoming more intense after using an Atavism.

EDIT: I recall Yossarian posted some additional, non-official content on Primordial Cultists and Heralds - maybe there’s something to look for there?
                            Last edited by 21C Hermit; 05-29-2018, 02:20 AM.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                              How about implementing Hunger as not a “full” Hunger, but a specialized long-term Aspiration? Or maybe it’s a series of self-asserting short term Aspirations that change on context; the Aspiration becoming more intense after using an Atavism.

EDIT: I recall Yossarian posted some additional, non-official content on Primordial Cultists and Heralds - maybe there’s something to look for there?
                              Hungery adds another Vice - so good for Willpower gain, not so much for restoring Integrity.

The various "Birthright Merits" are good, though. I'll swap out the normal Birthright for those, or the ability to otherwise buy those.

An Aspiration could work, since that leverages the existing XP systems. Would it enable enough gain, though? And does they existing sort-of-Hunger help with it's "Intro to Beast's" goal or hinder?

Comment

Working...
                              X