Caliban [Beast Minor Template]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

An Aspiration could work, since that leverages the existing XP systems. Would it enable enough gain, though? And does they existing sort-of-Hunger help with it's "Intro to Beast's" goal or hinder?
    This would depend on how much the player and the ST leverage the system, I suppose.

EDIT: Hmm, how frequently did short-term Aspirations could be refreshed again? Or how frequent long-term ones be qualified for Beat gain?

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

This would depend on how much the player and the ST leverage the system, I suppose.

EDIT: Hmm, how frequently did short-term Aspirations could be refreshed again? Or how frequent long-term ones be qualified for Beat gain?
      Aspirations grant a Beat upon completion and the target is 1 per Session (for Short-term ones).

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Vent0 I threw a little something together for Nightmare-wielding mortals.

Hag (Supernatural Merit; •••)
        Effect: Your character is “hag-ridden”, plagued by nightmares. But the kiss of the Dark Mother allows them to harness their terror. Characters with this Merit may learn Nightmares for 4 Experiences each, and may activate High Satiety effects for a point of Willpower, and Satiety Expenditure effects by suffering a Breaking Point. If the amount of Satiety matters, for the effects of Nightmares, use 10- Integrity. Without the accumulated terror of Satiety, however, Hags are often dependent on Mystical Equipment to help their dice pools compensate.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post

Effect: Your character is “hag-ridden”, plagued by nightmares. But the kiss of the Dark Mother allows them to harness their terror. Characters with this Merit may learn Nightmares for 4 Experiences each, and may activate High Satiety effects for a point of Willpower, and Satiety Expenditure effects by suffering a Breaking Point. If the amount of Satiety matters, for the effects of Nightmares, use 10- Integrity. Without the accumulated terror of Satiety, however, Hags are often dependent on Mystical Equipment to help their dice pools compensate.
          What would their Dicepool be? Straight attributes?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
            What would their Dicepool be? Straight attributes?
            Indeed. Attribute + Equipment Bonus

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Indeed. Attribute + Equipment Bonus

Talk about unreliable powers even with all but the most powerful mystical amplifiers. Though I take it that was the point?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Hmm. Why not just go straight Satiety = Integrity for determining the High Satiety effect and Dice Pool?

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                  Hmm. Why not just go straight Satiety = Integrity for determining the High Satiety effect and Dice Pool?
                  I considered it, but since Satiety is supposed to be derived from Breaking Points and losing Integrity, it felt thematically wrong. On the other hand, it does give the really interesting image of the indomitable witch with rock solid Integrity, which synergizes pretty well with the rules for handling Ephemeral Beings.

Master Aquatosic the idea was that Hags/witches need either absolutely spectacular Attributes to pull off Nightmares on the fly, or need all the ritual regalia they can muster. I'm reconsidering that decision now.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Satiety is a stat that goes from 0 to 10. There is another stat that goes from 0 to potentially 10. Willpower points. Willpower points is never used as a trait otherwise, but I think the fleeting nature of Willpower points matches Satiety enough to work as a substitute. Willpower is even tied to the soul (as seen in the soul loss rules) just like Satiety is tied to the Horror a Beast has instead of a soul. I'd use it for the dice pool (with 0 Willpower points prohibiting the roll at all, like 0 Satiety) and the High Satiety effect.
                    Willpower points equal to Resolve + Composure should always count as High Satiety as to not make it impossible for characters with a combined Resolve + Composure less than 7 to achieve High Satiety. I say Resolve + Composure instead of Willpower dots because there are ways to lose Willpower dots as well. Maybe the Satiety Expenditure effect can lead to lost dots of Willpower? Not automatically, though, as that'd be way too taxing.
                    If you do it like that I also think the Hag Merit should have a drawback applicable to characters with low Willpower points. Not quite sure what.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                      Satiety is a stat that goes from 0 to 10. There is another stat that goes from 0 to potentially 10. Willpower points. Willpower points is never used as a trait otherwise, but I think the fleeting nature of Willpower points matches Satiety enough to work as a substitute. Willpower is even tied to the soul (as seen in the soul loss rules) just like Satiety is tied to the Horror a Beast has instead of a soul. I'd use it for the dice pool (with 0 Willpower points prohibiting the roll at all, like 0 Satiety) and the High Satiety effect.
                      Willpower points equal to Resolve + Composure should always count as High Satiety as to not make it impossible for characters with a combined Resolve + Composure less than 7 to achieve High Satiety. I say Resolve + Composure instead of Willpower dots because there are ways to lose Willpower dots as well. Maybe the Satiety Expenditure effect can lead to lost dots of Willpower? Not automatically, though, as that'd be way too taxing.
                      If you do it like that I also think the Hag Merit should have a drawback applicable to characters with low Willpower points. Not quite sure what.
                      [Technically off-topic, but...] As you've pointed out, while Willpower has the capacity to reach 10, it is hardly a given for characters, which makes the exact comparison to Satiety somewhat difficult. Still, treating current Willpower as Satiety does have the same consideration - keeping the pool high enables the HS effects, which spending for the SE puts at risk.

For a low willpower drawback, what about mirroring the various "psychic" merits - unwanted usage. Since Nightmares count as Hard Leverage, that is going to ruin impressions fast.

Comment

I forgot to mention that I think that a capped Satiety equivalent is a good thing. Whoever has this Merit (be they Caliban or just regular humans) should have a harder time than Beasts when using Beast powers, dice pool-wise. Especially since it's so much easier to regain Willpower than Satiety.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
                        X