Using Beasts as antagonists

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Beasts as antagonists

For a one shot chronicle I'm looking for a boogey man type of antagonist and I was thinking why not a Begotten? Any tips or thoguhts about that? The theme of the game could be "Growing Up Sucks" with a bunch of teents discovering about the uglier truth of the world.

Are the players high school students?
    What about a Talassi with Hunger for Punishment?
    In the school people starts to vanish, the players investigates and discovers all the dirty secrets of the kidnapped people.
    In the end a nerd, meek and loner, is the Beast keeping the bullies captive for punishment in his Lair Chamber modeled on the school basement.
    The player could also decide in the end that the Beast is the "good guy"of the story...

Comment

They work pretty easy as it, I've done it before though I've used the Inheritances, which are more physically monstrous. They have a lot of powers you can use to hit the entire PC group but not necessarily kill them all in one hit the way a high-specc'd combat person could.

Comment

Beasts are great as one-shot antagonists, or even longer term ones. A Predator makes an easy Serial Killer. A Collector, a thief or abductor. A Tyrant could as easily lord over an office.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Maybe have the players try to enter the world of part time jobs and their boss turns out to be a Talassi Tyrant?

Their lair could take the form of a dungeon, with the employees forced to perform slave labor under grueling conditions?

As they toil away in the master's dungeon, they are slowly drained of any hope of freedom or creativity, until they eventually become a mindless, corporate drone who simply takes orders and doesn't ask questions?

Comment

I think answering the question of how growing up sucks will go a long way in deciding which Beast you have, with, hell, that being the point of the lesson. And from there, it's probably easiest to see the answer to that when you look at the lies the characters really believe.

So, you know. What are the character's delusions?

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
            Work Blog Coming Soon
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
            Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
              I think answering the question of how growing up sucks will go a long way in deciding which Beast you have, with, hell, that being the point of the lesson. And from there, it's probably easiest to see the answer to that when you look at the lies the characters really believe.

So, you know. What are the character's delusions?
              As far as they developed their concepts we have two overtly opmistic guys and a nice guy that acts in a far harsher manner than he is. We could say that they believe the world is a safe place and adults can be trusted.

Comment

Originally posted by damocles23 View Post

As far as they developed their concepts we have two overtly opmistic guys and a nice guy that acts in a far harsher manner than he is. We could say that they believe the world is a safe place and adults can be trusted.
                A Ravager is likely smacking their lips after hearing that.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Ravager (to destroy that sense of safety) or Tempter (to corrupt that trust in adults), I am thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                    Ravager (to destroy that sense of safety) or Tempter (to corrupt that trust in adults), I am thinking.
                    You mean an Enabler?

My takes would be Ravager, Tyrant, and Nemesis, depending on the particular nature of that trust in adults(and hell, why not all three, have a little brood), but I think the most insidious form would be a Tyrant-the adults have power because they take it from you.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                    Work Blog Coming Soon
                    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

You mean an Enabler?
                      Yes. I knew it wasn't Tempter (that's a Demon categorization), but my mind blanked on what it actually was.

My takes would be Ravager, Tyrant, and Nemesis, depending on the particular nature of that trust in adults(and hell, why not all three, have a little brood), but I think the most insidious form would be a Tyrant-the adults have power because they take it from you.
                      Which would also fit into "Growing up sucks" in that it (usually) means you have to work, which for most means working for someone, and thus under their power (to a greater or lesser extent).

Comment

Do you plan on the monsters truly being evil or trying to teach a lesson, even if your characters don't see it that way? Either way works, though

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                          Do you plan on the monsters truly being evil or trying to teach a lesson, even if your characters don't see it that way? Either way works, though
                          Somewhat ambiguos. The Beast in question may think they are giving a lesson but their methods are downright cruel. It's the kind of Beast that would not see themselves as evil but everyone would disagree. Even other Beasts may think "this guy is cray cray".

Comment

All three of them? Not the downright cruel part, but the "this guy is Cray Cray" part. Just wondering because so far, unless I'm misinterpreting it, all three beast are of a different family and or hunger, you sure not one of them could possibly be the "only sane man" among them?

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                              All three of them? Not the downright cruel part, but the "this guy is Cray Cray" part. Just wondering because so far, unless I'm misinterpreting it, all three beast are of a different family and or hunger, you sure not one of them could possibly be the "only sane man" among them?
                              It culd be but I'm planning on having only one Beast, though. Since my players want to do a one shot and don't know anything about CofD I'd like to play up the inscrutable and creepy side of Beasts.

Comment

Working...
                              X