Beasts in the Hedge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beasts in the Hedge

Hey does a beast with the maze lair trait protect them from the confusion of the hedge?

The confusion of the Hedge is dramatically more involved than the mundane tilt of the Maze Trait and has relatively little to do with getting lost in normal terms, so probably not.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Yeah, CtL2 describes the Hedge as actively trying to mislead you, to the point that Hedge navigation uses the same subsystem as a chase scene. That said, Beasts supposedly warp the Hedge* with their presence, so I personally think it would be reasonable to give a Beast with Maze a +2 bonus to Hedge navigation rolls (equivalent to the Hedge Sense merit).

*The Beast core refers to CtL1 p. 212-213 when describing this effect, using Lair instead of Wyrd. However, the new edition of Changeling replaces this subsystem with Hedgespinning, and I'm still thinking about how to apply this to Beast.

Comment

Well technically speaking a Beast's immunity to most Lair Traits will come best when they've performed an overlay of a Lair trait.
        So one could make a case that the Hedge will normally do things to screw up a Beast, but if a Beast overlay's their Lair for the Maze trait then the Hedge can't force itself through the Lair that way to screw with the Beghotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
          The confusion of the Hedge is dramatically more involved than the mundane tilt of the Maze Trait and has relatively little to do with getting lost in normal terms, so probably not.

Mmm, I'd have to disagree. Dreams can be pretty disorienting by themselves, especially when you aren't aware that it's a dream. Adding to that is the fact this takes place in a nightmare landscape that is specifically tailored for invoking terror in those who trespass within it, and the Lair can be even more disorienting than usual.
          Last edited by Nyrufa; 08-06-2018, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Mmm, I'd have to disagree. Dreams can be pretty disorienting by themselves, especially when you aren't aware that it's a dream. Adding to that is the fact this takes place in a nightmare landscape that is specifically tailored for invoking terror in those who trespass within it, and the Lair can be even more disorienting than usual.
            That would be true if we were talking about an intruder to the Lair, but we're talking about the Beast.

Comment

Working...
            X