Talassi nightmares

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talassi nightmares

How do you separate the what they represent from say, the hopelessness of the anakim, and the depths of the makara? It seems the combine the 2 so I'm having trouble seeing how to keep their feeding and nightmares unique

Well remember the family nightmare is more an archetype than what the Beast needs to feed. Plus its not like there can't be overlap in Beasts, so not a huge issue there. Now the if we were going for how imprisonment would distinguish from hopelessness, well I mean people get out of jail doesn't mean that there aren't people still afraid of being locked up.

Comment

Ok, but what I'm primarily confused about is how to get them a unique flavor. For example, what separates a talassi predator from makara predators (who are noted to use traps)

Comment

The difference as I see it is intent and why you fear being trapped.

With the Makara, you fear mostly that you are trapped somewhere that's gonna kill you. Your worry is death with minutes, hours or at most weeks.

With the Talassi, the fear is not just the trap, but what the being who set the trap wants with you. It's all the sick mental and physical tortures your imagination cooks up as possibilities now that you are within their domain. It's not dying in the trap that scares you, it's having to live in it.

Like the Inguma, it's ironically a very human fear, for at least in our world, it's largely humans that desire to capture others for reasons other than lunch.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Hmm, ok, i think I get it now. Is it ok if you can give examples of how a ugallu and makara tyrant would do things different than a talassi

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
            Hmm, ok, i think I get it now. Is it ok if you can give examples of how a ugallu and makara tyrant would do things different than a talassi
            With an ugallu tyrant, he sees every move you make. Every breath, every errant twitch, every half-thought moment of silent rebellion is analyzed. To suffer their tyranny is to be judged from on high for weaknesses, for uselessness, and then to be suddenly imposed upon or pinned down into the dirt to remind you of your place amongst the worms while the beast, pound of flesh in taloned hand from your scalp, returns to their Olympian mountain nest.

With a Makara tyrant, she sees almost nothing, hears almost nothing, yet feels a constant, insistent presence which places you firmly in her domain. Every business is owned, at least in part, by her. Every decision in the City Council goes across her desk first. She owns the business you work for, the bank you deposit at, your mortgage, your car, your life. You are surrounded on all sides by her presence. This is her fishbowl, and she the largest fish in it. You Just Live Here. Until she feels like a little snack....

With a Talassi tyrant, you are held in your position of subservience. Your hands are tied by student loans and threats of foreclosure. Your feet are bound by death threats to friends and family, knowing you could free yourself.... but only yourself. Your mouth is silenced by the fact that everybody else seems to love, trust, and respect him so much that your voice would only fall on deaf ears. His cameras surround you, his hooks are in you. He points to a cubicle, the warden issuing you a prison cell. Get to work. You're Here Forever. I Own You.

Popping in from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
              How do you separate the what they represent from say, the hopelessness of the anakim, and the depths of the makara? It seems the combine the 2 so I'm having trouble seeing how to keep their feeding and nightmares unique

The way I see it, while there may be some overlap between the Talassi and the other families, the main difference is the fear of being trapped.

Sure, you may not be able to fight back against the Anakim, but you can still run from them. You may feel overwhelmed by the Makara, but you can still turn back the way you came and return to your comfort zone.

When it comes to the Talassi, however, you can't run away because there's nowhere to run to. And by the time you actually meet the Talassi, you've wandered so deep into hostile territory that turning back is no longer an option.
              Last edited by Nyrufa; 08-09-2018, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Talassii are the fear of being bound, confined. The "Will I ever leave this shithole" type of life is what they inflict. Prison Wardens would be an excellent example. Banker who ties you down with a long-running contract. The Employer or Manager who makes leaving the job unthinkable due to contract conditions that would make Handing in your notice very expensive. The therapist you cannot live without because he made you co-dependent. The teacher who ties you down with workload.

Makara are about you being out of your comfort zone - that might be as simple As Getting you into a party with no one you know and making you do uncomfortable. The Manager who makes you, a singer, rap at an important gig. The Principle who makes you teach math, even though you Studied biology- At your revision day. The teacher who drowns you in work.
                The Taxi Driver who let's tourists out at the wrong spot in an unfamiliar city- possibly even a dangerous one.
                The survival Trainer or cave guide who 'loses' some of his charges so they have to fend for themselves.

Ugallu are about exposure: being wide open, having nowhere to hide.
                The Hacker that keeps sending you your passwords. The journalist who publicates your every mistake, secret, wrongdoing, thought. The Rival at your company: They always are one step ahead, know what you want to do, and where you fail.
                The Manager that rips everyone apart at their yearly evaluation. The teacher where you cannot cheat. The policeman that finds every piece of evidence, every crime. The therapist that confronts you with what you try to hide.

Comment

Beast Therapist.... worse, a Starving Beast Therapist....

*hides in corner shuddering and whispering "the horror..."*

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

Beast Police.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

The beast police huh lol. Whisperers as interrogators, talassi as jailers, anakim as enforcers, and ugallu to find criminals

Comment

Something something eventually it'll be Beast Machines.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                        Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
                        Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Well some horrors take the form of machinery (and I love the fact some take advantage to fool demons with them)

Speaking of which, is it believable to have a talassi lair with terminator like minions

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

Fun fact: I have a Makara Enabler therapist.
                            He struggles a bit ^^"

Comment

Originally posted by Wormwood View Post

Fun fact: I have a Makara Enabler therapist.
                              He struggles a bit ^^"
                              At least he's not a collector

Comment

Working...
                              X