Strange family ties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
    I respect Dave's statement and I know he's working on the BtP books (which there isn't a single person to go to right now AFAIK as "the" Beast developer), but I'd kinda want something like that to either be addressed more... I guess officially... before I take it as how things are supposed to be.
    Hence "who knows". Stuff like that's hard to gauge.

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
    Arcane, you did mean can't right? Sorta confused
    I said what I meant and meant what I said, yes. The only thing the Erased can become is a stigmatic, and that's telling as far as the Beast metaphysics go.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Ok, j was just wondering because I don't remember the erasure details

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
        The only thing the Erased can become is a stigmatic, and that's telling as far as the Beast metaphysics go.
        Wolf-Blooded Erased Stigmatic, here we go!

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Wolf-Blooded Erased Stigmatic, here we go!
          Erasure reads as a spiritual cleansing of all such things, so I doubt that even a Wolf-Blooded Beast would be able to keep the Wolf-Blooded aspect.

Which raises a couple of questions how that managed to work out.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Erasure reads as a spiritual cleansing of all such things, so I doubt that even a Wolf-Blooded Beast would be able to keep the Wolf-Blooded aspect.

Which raises a couple of questions how that managed to work out.
            But, as a brand new mortal, couldn't Lunacy make them Wolf-Blooded now?

And why settle for Stigmatic? Demonic Adoption should be open, right?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

But, as a brand new mortal, couldn't Lunacy make them Wolf-Blooded now?

And why settle for Stigmatic? Demonic Adoption should be open, right?
              I have no idea what Demonic Adoption is, but one assumes so, yes.

I do not have my copy of the Beast's Player Guide on me, so no direct quotes, but basically committing Erasure earns the ire of the Dark Mother, who then levies her supernatural weight against other claims on you. So, no, Lunacy-inflicted Wolf-blooding would not work. You decide to stop being a monster through Erasure, you get to stop being a monster pretty much period.(Exception includes the ever hanging God-Machine and other entities within that sphere.)

Comment

From the final note on the Erased in the BPG:

Originally posted by Beast's Player Guide
                The Erased can’t ever become another type of supernatural being. The Dark Mother precludes any kin from claiming the ungrateful Child. The God-Machine’s servants may find a use for her, as they are beyond the Dark Mother’s purview.

Comment

Technically it can be read to only prohibit future changes, not those the Erased already has access to. It's not a complete scouring of everything supernatural or the Erased wouldn't continue to have Satiety, Nightmares and Birthrights. What the Erased explicitly loses are things tied to their now dead Horror. Whether it's the Dark Mother ripping those powers out or the Erased simply lacking a vital part of using those powers is up for interpretation.
                  Not that I was particularly serious about my Wolf-Blooded suggestion.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                    Technically it can be read to only prohibit future changes, not those the Erased already has access to. It's not a complete scouring of everything supernatural or the Erased wouldn't continue to have Satiety, Nightmares and Birthrights. What the Erased explicitly loses are things tied to their now dead Horror. Whether it's the Dark Mother ripping those powers out or the Erased simply lacking a vital part of using those powers is up for interpretation.
                    Not that I was particularly serious about my Wolf-Blooded suggestion.
                    Which is odd, because I am always serious about my Hedge Ghost wearing a Reaper mask force-claiming a Werewolf by way of Idigam getting synthesized by a Strix to see what vomits out.

That asides, I suppose it could go either way, but I like the depth of offense implied by stripping old things away. You do not piss off the Dark Mama.

Comment

I have no idea what Demonic Adoption is, but one assumes so, yes.
                      When the Unchained Pacts "X is my child" for a character and integrates that into one of their Covers. Said child retroactively becomes Demon-Blooded (because they have/had a Demon for a parent now/always).

I do not have my copy of the Beast's Player Guide on me, so no direct quotes, but basically committing Erasure earns the ire of the Dark Mother, who then levies her supernatural weight against other claims on you. So, no, Lunacy-inflicted Wolf-blooding would not work. You decide to stop being a monster through Erasure, you get to stop being a monster pretty much period.(Exception includes the ever hanging God-Machine and other entities within that sphere.)
                      That's awfully presumptuous of her. (And one of the things that irks me about Beast - its claim to metaphysical truth/supremacy over the other game-lines).

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

When the Unchained Pacts "X is my child" for a character and integrates that into one of their Covers. Said child retroactively becomes Demon-Blooded (because they have/had a Demon for a parent now/always).

That's awfully presumptuous of her. (And one of the things that irks me about Beast - its claim to metaphysical truth/supremacy over the other game-lines).
                        Ah, I shall have to re-read Heirs on that then.

As for that, well, in this case, it's claimancy over someone who definitely fell under her purview-it's making sure this one shit doesn't get to enjoy those gifts after murdering her own. It's not like she's randomly slapping Auspices on other people. I never saw that aspect of the Erased as making the metaphysical grounding of Beasts as mandating a truth or asserting a supremacy over the whole cosmology.

Bad Children get grounded. Seems fair to me.

Comment

Also, let's be blunt, if any game has the monopoly on supremacy, it's Mummy.

Comment

(And one of the things that irks me about Beast - its claim to metaphysical truth/supremacy over the other game-lines).
                            That's not a thing. "Little bits of the dream of the world transmigrated into the human oversoul and brought the power of a place that feels more real to visitors than material reality does into the hands of a human actor, and the nature of thoughts and ideas and symbolism means the archetype of Monsters connects to actual monsters in a way that demands addressing" is not "the Dark Mother is the top dog and the truth of the setting" just because her influence is attributed to the inability of other metaphysical actors to add people who still have her power to their resources.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Games like Mage or Mummy seem to be all supremacy in truth. Beast just has it where the beast themselves believe they are all related, and even then, they don't actually know how besides "we are all the Dark Mothers children"

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                                Games like Mage or Mummy seem to be all supremacy in truth. Beast just has it where the beast themselves believe they are all related, and even then, they don't actually know how besides "we are all the Dark Mothers children"
                                Mage has deliberately shot itself in the foot as regard supremacy all over the place. Mage's gain power from Mysteries because the Supernal doesn't describe/influence everything.

Mummy, though, has a lot of positional weight to basically describing at least the foundation of everything. That doesn't account for everything, mind you, but it's a more stable base than anyone else.
                                Last edited by ArcaneArts; 08-15-2018, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X