X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
    -true fae

What do you think?

True Fae are creatures of dreams and raw emotion.

Beasts are creatures of nightmares and primordial terror.

Seems like there's a familial resemblance to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

True Fae are creatures of dreams and raw emotion.

Beasts are creatures of nightmares and primordial terror.

Seems like there's a familial resemblance to me!

Oh, also the fact they have their own pocket realms which are fashioned together from places they've experienced in the past and remodeled with traps and aesthetics that suit the Beast's personality.

And they have the power to create their own monstrous servants.

Really, the Begotten seem to be almost the same thing as True Fae, with the only major difference being they are overtly devoted to the aspect of terror. Where as the True Fae have a broader scope they can cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Oh, also the fact they have their own pocket realms which are fashioned together from places they've experienced in the past and remodeled with traps and aesthetics that suit the Beast's personality.

And they have the power to create their own monstrous servants.

Really, the Begotten seem to be almost the same thing as True Fae, with the only major difference being they are overtly devoted to the aspect of terror. Where as the True Fae have a broader scope they can cover.
        So true, but the main difference to me is that true fae lack a true "free will", that s why they are unplayable

Comment

So true, but the main difference to me is that true fae lack a true "free will", that s why they are unplayable
          Horrors of the Begotten are also limited to their 'instincts' and Hungers...

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Horrors of the Begotten are also limited to their 'instincts' and Hungers...

Final nail in the coffin is the concept of Legends and Anathemas.

Considering the True Fae are so obsessed with stories involving a designated script, and exploiting a very particular weakness in order to repel them...

Well, clearly, they have to be related!

Comment

I think it makes sense that Abyssals aren't Kin. Beasts are explicitly beings of the Astral, and the Abyss is very much the antithesis of all that "Mage cosmology" that Beast is apart of.

Comment

but wouldn't beast be kin to abyssal, they are pretty much oblivion, which is something to fear.

Also wyrdhamster, are you saying true fae being unplayable while beasts horrors are bound to instinct makes no difference? Because a difference is there, as the beast itself has freewill

Comment

Yes Beasts are playable and have freewill, BUT that's because of the human mind. A Horror By Itself without a Human component have about as much free will as an animal (if not less).

Comment

Family Ties (as all powers ) comes from HORROR, not the Beast ( human host ) itself. Horror is very similar to True Fae in that's it plays it's own narratives ( in the end, Horror IS the living but frightening story ) and desires first. So by this, I think that Family Ties to True Fae are in order.
                    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 11-24-2018, 11:19 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                      Family Ties (as all powers ) comes from HORROR, not the Beast ( human host ) itself. Horror is very similar to True Fae in that's it plays it's own narratives ( in the end, Horror IS the living stoy ) and desires first. So by this, I think that Family Ties to True Fae are in order.
                      actually, nightmares do not come from the horror, in fact nightmares become even more powerful when gorged, meaning the beast is not as attached to you.

As for kinship, yeah I agree with true fae, I was just confused and thought you meant far should be playable (I know, that's a really bad misinterpretation)

Comment

Nightmares do come from the Horror. It's just that the Horror is bad at using them since they require finesse that it just doesn't have. The Horror is the singular source or conduit (as the connection to the larger Astral) for all powers that a Beast has access to.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

oh ok, my misunderstanding then

Comment

Originally posted by reseru View Post
                            I think it makes sense that Abyssals aren't Kin. Beasts are explicitly beings of the Astral, and the Abyss is very much the antithesis of all that "Mage cosmology" that Beast is apart of.
                            Beast is not a part of Mage cosmology just because Mage got to the Astral Realms first. The Astral Realms are very much their own ecologies, and what the natives experience is very different from what Mages do.

The Abyss doesn't count as Kin(hypothetically, we still need text for it to be canon) because it's state of non-reality makes it alien to everything. You could have spirits, ghosts, or angels all somehow develop their own version of Family Ties and the Abyss wouldn't count any more for them than it does for Horrors and Beasts.

Unrelated, The True Fae arguement is garbled, but, like, you don't need to draw on an actual relationship and likeness for that Family Ties to work-Beast's horror being micro-symbols of Monsters has enough sympathetic power to cause the connection-so long as you are decently monstrous enough, that exists. The Watsonian answer for why the Abyss might not count stems from the fact that the Abyss is inherently anti-symbolic and meaningless enough to deny the sympathetic connection that would otherwise develop from the clear monstrosity of the abyss and it's anti-dreams.

Final note, Incarnates are playable and True Fae are not because, all other Doylistic answers asides, a True Fae is compromised by a solipsistic nature that destroys their sense of Self and Other completely, where a Incarnate is not. As broken and monstrous as an Incarnate is, they still know where they are, where their selves end and the wide world begins, a sense of self that True Fae simply don't have.

An Incarnate is the bird that has hatched, flown to, and eaten Abraxas. A True Fae is a bird that stayed in it's egg and refuses to acknowledge it's own death.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                            Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
                            Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Someone once made the case* that Beasts are able to form kinships because they are the monsters from the collective unconscious and that most of the other splats are tied firmly into those. IE Changeling are kin because the fear of True Fey stealing yourself or your loved ones away and leaving a puppet in its place wormed its way into people's head to the extent that its now a symbolic idea of a person being spirited away and returning so changed that they can't even fit into their old lives anymore. Whereas the Unchained don't fit the slot in the mind that demons occupy, and what they are is weird and doesn't neatly fit into archetypes most people worry about, I mean for frack's sake even when they offer you a deal to sell your soul it ends up having nothing to do with a person's actual spiritual self beyond the part where original person is dead.

*I don't remember who, where, and I'll admit a minor possibility that it was me, but I am seriously doubtful on that last possibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X