News Hunger and Families

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Hunger and Families

Each book brings a new Hunger and Family. Which do you think would be next?

One hunger I miss is one inherent in the legends of the Kitsunes, to inflict damage by indirect means using intrigue and gossip, something common in social climbers as well. When more precious than the conflict generated by the greater indirect intrigue would be satiety. Hunger for Intrigue.

Some kind of Hunger that replicates Sucubbus's tendency to destroy the reputation of his lovers and Yuki-onnas lead their victims to give up their survival by resting, something like Hunger for Temptation (unlike Enabler's hunger not to attack integrity but to psychological survival, social or physical if temptation is accepted and always something immaterial and punishment itself does not come from the Beast itself).

For new families.

One thing that really is missing is the representation of hidden fear, that which can attack you by mirrors (as in the game wolf among us), nightmares or even invisibly as a classic Witch that harms your life with subtle curses and curses and stealing your luck.

The Eshmaki are the fear of the dark, of the hidden dangers in the shadows, they ARE the hidden fear. Also, it's arguable the whispers is already the hunger of gossips, in a way of course

As for hungers, one thing to remember is they have a theme of being broad and of having been with us for a LONG LONG time as a fear all of humanity has

Comment

So, like, a lot of these are Inguma and Enablers or Whispers.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
      Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

The Sussuros do not mimic a Kitsune, do not seek to cause indirect wars and feed on it, destroying whole nations as in Ran of Akira Kusosawa, even with lies, feeding ambitions or seducing.

The famines and fears I have mentioned are from before civilization to the present.

The Eshmaki represent the fear of what the shadow hides that can hurt you. What I have quoted is a completely different fear, the fear of something that can manipulate the invisible world, that is of something that can control the superstitions and these to bring him indirect damages or even to control catastrophes and in even more powerful levels to bring the fear of the deformation of anxieties (represented by things that pass through mirrors) and security (things that attack in dreams).

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Linus View Post
          The Eshmaki represent the fear of what the shadow hides that can hurt you. What I have quoted is a completely different fear, the fear of something that can manipulate the invisible world, that is of something that can control the superstitions and these to bring him indirect damages or even to control catastrophes and in even more powerful levels to bring the fear of the deformation of anxieties (represented by things that pass through mirrors) and security (things that attack in dreams).
          1) "Manipulate the invisible world" and "control the superstitions" aren't exactly primordial trains of thought. People are afraid of invisible worlds and unknown rules, people are superstitious, and it's not really a thing where people are afraid of people manipulating the laws of spirits, angels, and the dead because such things are immutable. Remember, the core of all these fears is you can't fight the world.

2) The second half of these notions are kind of "magey" fears, the idea of people tapping into the arcane rules of the world to enact their will over man and nature, or the idea of the other as evoked by sources of reflection including the psychological evaluations that come with dreams. In both cases, they embody the fear of The Other, this person who is like you, but knows things you don't and evokes them against you at their whim and steal your face because they deserve it more than you. Arguments can be made for each of the main five if you want to do other spins, but mostly the Inguma.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
          Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Linus View Post
            The Sussuros do not mimic a Kitsune, do not seek to cause indirect wars and feed on it, destroying whole nations as in Ran of Akira Kusosawa, even with lies, feeding ambitions or seducing.

The famines and fears I have mentioned are from before civilization to the present.

Causing wars indirectly through lies sounds a lot like an Enabler at work, but could also perfectly fit a Ravager. So that's definitly covered.
            Eshmaki are the Nightmares of Darkness, yes. But whether something cannot be seen because it is in the shadows or because it is invisible makes hardly a difference, and both are covered. Being on the fringes and not being noticed is, after all, also part of the Eshmaki. See From the Shadows - the Atavism can literally turn you invisible. And not by 'being clad in shadows' or some such. Indirect damage/'Curses' is covered via Nightmares like "You Cannot Rest" or "Everyone hates you" or "Run Away" or "Cursed Object" etc.

What you mention in the opening post is more Atavisms and Nightmares-related than new Families and Hungers, imo. Some of what you aim for sounds very Changeling-y, so I imagine some Kinship Merits could fit.

Re: Enablers - I think you got them pecked wrong, they seem to be exactly what you are looking for. They do not punish anything at all, thats the Nemeses. What they do is make people break with their own beliefs - that usually targets Integrity (which is essentially psychological damage), but can very easily carry social and physical implications depending on the belief, which is far more often immaterial than not. Subtle manipulation, occasional lies etc. are their repertoire, as they cannot force people to 'sin', otherwise it wouldn't count. So Succubi would be quite archetypical Enablers, really.

Kitsune sound more like Whispers to me.

The Fear of Being Used could maybe work. You'd have to sell me on the concept, though, cause doesn't seem that strong atm.

Comment

Working...
            X