Explain Beast to me as if I was five

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain Beast to me as if I was five

This is the splat that most instigates me and I'm on the brink of buying the books, but I love my money and would like to know a bit more before going after it.

What the Beasts are, exactly, is one of the most crucial information that I couldn't gather from researching this forum and the interwebs. Whether the "Horror" is a true manifestation or similar to the Kindred's Beast is another. At first, I thought Beast was a game that allowed you to be Jason, Krueger and M. Myers or something like that, but I've seen stats for Dragons, Worms and similar... well, beasts.

What about the Lairs? I read somewhere that they have mystical (or something) pathways, but another thread talked about someone invading your Lair. Can a normal human use this strange pathways? Are they physical places or mere reflections of real places, while being located in the Shadow (or another realm whatsoever)?

How does one BECOME a Beast? Is it natural (Wolfy) or imposed (Kindred)?

And finally, I'm very interested in using them as antagonists in my table; are they strong for combat situations? What about as masters of a city? Do they share their Lairs with other Beasts? Are they socially oriented?

Do not curb your potential answer by the scope of my questions, anything you can add is appreciated!

At their most basic, Beasts are people whose souls are the mythical monsters of yore and their terrible Lairs(that a beast can make manifest in a number of ways), who go and build their legends by feasting upon the fears and shocks of humanity in accordance to their hunger, uncover the history of the supernatural in their area to bind their stories to their own (and make friends/resources out of them), and fight against the Heroes who come to stalk, kill, and make them part of their own deranged legend.

It gets complicated here, so I'll save a more complex breakdown of what Beasts are after answering your questions:

1) Are Beasts true manfiestations or similar to the Kindred's Besast?
    Putting aside the fact that a Kindred's Beast is it's own thing that can slip out and cause havoc in particular circumstances, A Beast's Horror is very much a distinct monster in it's own right, by and large chained to the Lair, which might be a problem if you couldn't creatively bring your Lair down on reality in places that resonate with it. They are mythic and folkloric monsters, bluntly,with equally mythic Hungers for Power, Hoard, Prey, Punishment, Ruin, Secrets, and Transgressions-but they are also psycho-spiritual incarnations of humanity, specifically their fearful relationship to the world and their attempts to make sense out of it. More on that later.

Point is, though, yeah, your Horror is something can tear a muthafucka up, at the times when you aren't busy being the Horror.

2) What are Lairs? Can they be invaded? What about the Primordial Pathways? Are they real or mere reflections?
    Lairs are spaces in the Astral Realms-specifically, they are spaces in the Primordial Dream, the part of the Temenos(Astral Realm tied to humanity on the whole, it's collective soul) closest to the Anima Mundi/Mother's Land(/Astral Realm reflecting the soul of the world). Lairs are, for all intents and purposes, a real extra-dimensional space that occupy where A beast's soul used to be that a Beast can bring elements of into the waking world by matching to other similar Traits(dangeorus Tilts that are active in the Lair), and can cross over into so long as the place they are in has resonance with one of the Lair's Chambers(individual parts of the Lair)(also there's ways of entering into the lair through sleeping people, different subject). Other people with the right tricks can also enter into the Lair. The Lair can have Chambers added to it by either traumatizing an individual in a place that has a Lair Trait and then eating the Astral reflection of it, or by learning enough about the site of a previous supernatural attack that caused similar damage to fully understand it, and then eat it's Astral Reflection.

Lair is also your Potency stat(Akin to Blood Potency or Gnosis) and you increase it by increasing your psycho-spiritual real estate/prominence in humanity's mindset as something nightmarish and at work, mostly by Sating your Hunger, Seeking Chambers caused by other supernaturals, Building Kinship, and fighting Heroes and Insatiable.

3) How does one become a Beast?
    Beasts are in a unique position in that they are born to this legacy of becoming nightmare monsters of myth, but get to choose whether they wear that mantle (how clear it is what they are getting into depends on the Horror that will fill in for their soul). Before the process begins, proto-Beasts are always a little bit different-they dream more deeply and seem to have more meaning in their dreams than most, and they were always just a little more different then their peers-some are highly empathetic and great judges of character, others are troublemakers and taboo-breakers, that sort of thing. The process of them coming into their legend is called the Devouring, and is a process where they start getting stalked by their Horror in their dreams, going through the same sort of torment that someone targeted by the Horror in their sleep would be. As the ravaging continues, a realization continues to grow until a the nascent Child realizes that the monster is themselves, at which point they can reject it-or allow themselves to be eaten, and wake up seeing out of the eyes of the monster they were always intended to become.

4) How do they do as antagonists, and what do they do well?
    Beasts, as a splat designed with crossover in mind, lots of minion options available to them(as of the Beast's Player Guide), a Hunger that give them a clear desire to chase after, and a Family, a denoter of the sort of nightmares they are(being Hopelessness, Darkness, the Deeps, Revulsion, Exposure, The Other, Confinement) and a slew of interesting power make them really neat antagonists no matter what sort of game you play. They can be Combat monsters or Social Monsters of Intelligent monsters or any sort of thing you want to work with depending on what sort of Atavisms(physical characteristics of the Horror that bleed across the lines of reality, claws that might not be seen but tear up a backside just the same, a enchanting voice guarenteed to draw people to the rocks, or very definitely real fire delivered straight with you every fucking breath) and Nightmares(soul-deep curses that cause the victim to suffer a specific fear coming true, whether it be that there are bugs everywhere or being unable to work on that paper that is due tomorrorw), but as a general rule they do well as a centerpole for monsters, able to empower many of the other splats and even pass off as them, and even spy the monsters in the crowd, as well as having a prodigious ability to world-walk and utilize their Lair as a mobile fortress/set of escape routes. They could be masters of the cities with these advanatages, or they could run wild hunts with the feral ones just as well, depending on how well Sated they are. (Note Satiety should be noted, because due to the change of play style that comes with how full they are, Beasts are often dynamic in how they are empowered at any given time).

Beasts in the same brood can connect and share Lairs. This does not affect Lair as a potency stat, but does facilitate pretty much everything else.

One big thing to remember about Beast is that is a game laden with psycho-spiritual symbolism and meaning. Yes, the Horror is a literal, physical monster, but it is also a primordial archetype of humanity's basest fears that both destroys and grabs the same things that humanity use to make themselves feel secure against the vicissitudes of the world. Yes, the Lair is a literal cave in a mountain, a sticking swamp in the lowlands, and a storm in a desert-but it is also a representation of your grip on the dreams of humanity, your presence as a nightmarish figure in the lives of people. Stuff like that.

Beast is a really cool game. It's very different from many of it's peers in it's mentality and it's questions(challenging most of the humanist questions of the other lines while somehow reaffirming that mentality), and what seems like a really simple game art first hides a surprising amount of depth. It has some really cool power sets, can work well on it's own but shines in crossover(if that's your thing), and always has clear directions for what could be done with the story should you need it while being simply versatile enough to tell any sort of story you want. It's definitely a cool game.
    Last edited by ArcaneArts; 01-06-2019, 08:24 PM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
    Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Adding in some things.

From what I can tell part of your confusion comes from the fact that "the beast" is also a the term for the more feral part of a vampire that just drives them to discard humanity and become nothing but the monster that runs around ripping open throats to feast on their blood. If it helps you to think on it, though Beasts as the Beghotten is the term you use for the entire individual. The human part is what it is, a human though they are dealing with the fact that they don't really have the little shoulder angel and devil any more so much as shoulder spider encouraging them to ignore the moral quandries and just go get lunch dangit. Otherwise they have the same drives and ambitions they had before their Devouring. The most basic part of a story is the human part learning to compromise and deal with their other half.

The other half of the Beast is referred to as The Horror. The Horror is the part that hangs out in a lovely little niche carved into collective unconsciousness of humanity and gained a bridge into the material world by becoming the other half of the Beast. They are hungry, always. Your Horror defines a few of the other aspects of the Beast. The most obvious being your Hunger, ie whether or not your Beast is one of those monsters that just chases down unfortunate souls who wandered into the woods at night and got lost ,probably a predator, one where the things lair is utterly bedecked in trophies of previous hunts, or if you hunt down people for some sort of transgression and make them pay for it.

As for Lairs being invaded and such, its tricky. See the Lair rests in a thing called the Primordial Dream (just think of it as part of the collective unconscious) meaning in order to invade a Lair you have to get a door open there. Not impossible, just for most people that requires having something else that can open the door for you. The fun part about Lairs is that, with the exception of the central chamber, each Chamber is just a nightmarish reflection of the real world area that created it. As a Beast one of your big tricks is actually to drag those parts of your Lair into the real world. Think being able to do the transition to the Otherworld from Silent Hill as defensive mechanism. Of course this is also the easiest way for other things to invade since you are temporarily bringing your Lair into the waking world and if someone can avoid getting kicked out when the waking world gets fed up with having it there well they're in now. Oh and because people have asked yes you can use your Lair as a method of fast travel between different chambers though you will only ever be able to exit your Lair in the spot a chamber was formed in. IE if all your chambers are in Pennsylvania and you are forced to retreat into your Lair while wandering Italy you'll be exiting in Pennsylvania and will have to take mundane means to get back to Italy.

Comment

Arc's post is awesome of course, but I'm going to try to do a much more succinct version as per the title of the thread. Please see Arc's more nuanced points if it doesn't seem enough.

Originally posted by blodmåne View Post
        Whether the "Horror" is a true manifestation or similar to the Kindred's Beast is another.
        The Horror is a real thing that exits independently. Geist has the closest comparison from other CofD games in terms of what the supernatural side of the PCs are.

What about the Lairs? I read somewhere that they have mystical (or something) pathways, but another thread talked about someone invading your Lair. Can a normal human use this strange pathways? Are they physical places or mere reflections of real places, while being located in the Shadow (or another realm whatsoever)?
        They do have mystic pathways, they can be invaded (though most normal humans can't get in on their own, the Beast can bring them in, or an invader could open it to normal folks too). They are reflections of real places in the Astral realm of the CofD; since the Astral contains dreams.

They undergo the Devouring where dreams of something horrible lead to them finally encountering the Horror seeking them out, and them bonding together.

How natural this is, is a purposeful ambiguity in the setting. Beasts generally perceive it as natural, but also frequently have help through the process from older Beasts.

And important thing though, is that unlike Forsaken or Requiem, the Devouring is always a choice. No external force can command the bonding that occurs the human and Horror must enter into their new state together.

And finally, I'm very interested in using them as antagonists in my table; are they strong for combat situations? What about as masters of a city? Do they share their Lairs with other Beasts? Are they socially oriented?
        Beasts have a very potent and varied power set, letting them occupy lots of roles as antagonists. Beasts can ally with the PC groups in other games, or antagonist groups as well. The fact that Beasts can bond as easily with the Lost as they can with Huntsmen is something that well studied Lost find very disturbing.

The can go beyond sharing and connect their Lairs to other Beasts' Lairs, supporting their social base unit of a Brood. Since Beasts can let others into their Lairs if they wish, there's a lot of potential there even if 'sharing' might not be the best word. My current Beast PC has a Chamber in his Lair where there's a small house with regularly refreshing supplies he uses as a safe house for his friends to hide in if other supernaturals or hunters are giving them problems.

Beasts aren't explicitly socially oriented, but they have a large number of powers/mechanics that makes being social with both other Beasts and other supernaturals far more valuable than not.

Comment

This is the splat that most instigates me and I'm on the brink of buying the books, but I love my money and would like to know a bit more before going after it.

What the Beasts are, exactly, is one of the most crucial information that I couldn't gather from researching this forum and the interwebs. Whether the "Horror" is a true manifestation or similar to the Kindred's Beast is another. At first, I thought Beast was a game that allowed you to be Jason, Krueger and M. Myers or something like that, but I've seen stats for Dragons, Worms and similar... well, beasts.

Do not curb your potential answer by the scope of my questions, anything you can add is appreciated!

If you want to play Jason and friends, you'll want to check out Slasher, which actually has a character archetype for those kinds of folk!

A Beast is the spiritual embodiment of one of humanity's most ancient fears. The core book offers the fears of Weakness (Anakim), Exposure (Ugallu), Darkness (Eshmaki), Revulsion (Namtaru) and Depths (Makara). The Player's Guide expands on this by adding two new fears of Others (Inguma) and Confinement (Talassi). Since Beasts are spiritual representations of such concepts, they can look like virtually anything. But classical monsters are the easiest way to portray them, if you have trouble coming up with ideas.

Beasts exist within two planes simultaneously. In the mortal world, they look human, but have powers and abilities that are clearly monstrous. In the Primordial Dream, however, they assume their true forms. It is also worth noting that Beasts sustain themselves by feeding on the terror of those around them. Beasts who have some form of moral code, or a conscience often choose to impart some kind of life lesson behind their feeding process. So that their victims come away wiser than they were before. This, however, is completely unnecessary, and the Beast is perfectly free to indulge their hunger without regard for the victim's well being.

Lairs are far more than just a supernatural hideout to seek refuge in. They are an extension of the Beast's very soul, and it can be expanded and altered to reflect their experiences over the course of their lives. Destroying the Lair has a catastrophic effect on the Beast to whom it belongs, so they have to be very careful about who they grant access to. Thankfully, the Lair exists within the Primordial Dream, and the vast majority of people can not just stumble into such a place without supernatural assistance.

That being said, Beasts do have the capacity to share a lair by merging them together with other Beasts. This, however, is a risky gamble even under the best of circumstances. If an enemy gains access to their Lair, they threaten not just one Beast, but every Beast who shares that Lair with them. Hopefully, they can find strength in numbers, but it's probably better in the long run to maintain separate Lairs.

As for how somebody becomes a Beast, that is up to the individual Story Teller to decide. Even the Beasts themselves don't have a definitive answer for that. Some believe that they are like Werewolves in that you were born a Beast, but raised to think you were human, until some event in your life caused you to realize your true nature. Others believe that a human can become a Beast through various triggers during the course of their lives. In either case, a Beast does not possess a human soul, as it is replaced by their Horror during a process known as The Devouring.

Yes, Beasts are very sociable. In their eyes, the vast majority of supernatural creatures are quite literally family. They believe in the creation myth of the Dark Mother, from whom all monsters originate. All except for Demons... fuck Demons! To this end, Beast is a game that was specifically designed with the idea of cross over games in mind. It's common to see a Beast running with a coterie of Vampires, pack of Werewolves, motley of Changelings, and so on. They also gain access to unique abilities that are specifically derived from their kinship with the other splats. For example, a Beast who forms a connection to the Vampires may gain an ability which lets them heal their wounds by consuming fresh blood.

Comment

Great reading on all posts!

From what I can tell part of your confusion comes from the fact that "the beast" is also a the term for the more feral part of a vampire that just drives them to discard humanity and become nothing but the monster that runs around ripping open throats to feast on their blood.
            I didn't, but the paragraph as whole was a delight to read, so I'm more than fine with it!

[A]s a general rule they do well as a centerpole for monsters, able to empower many of the other splats and even pass off as them, and even spy the monsters in the crowd [...]
            Perfect! Exactly what I need to instill fear on 3m tall wolves full of muscles.
            Is this innate or via powers? The question is based on a simple premise: are ALL Beasts capable of this, as shapeshifting to werewolves, or is it something specialized, like Protean claws to Vamps?

the Devouring is always a choice. No external force can command the bonding that occurs the human and Horror must enter into their new state together.
            Loved it!

All this new information drips ideas for a whole chronicle!

A few more questions, though:
            - If the Lair can become a physical place in the real world, can it be destroyed? Does the Beast lose their Potency stat?
            - What is their power fuel (essence/vitae/pyros)? Is it scarce?
            - If they are human, do they heal as humans?
            -- As an extension: can they be killed?
            - I'm not sure yet on the Horror thing-y. They seem sometimes to be separate beings, and sometimes not. This could very well be intended, and actually sounds cool. But, is it possible for you to FIGHT an Horror absent the Beast/Human?

There seems to be a whole lot of mystery in just these post to be able to make a Beast as an antagonist for my Dark Ages table.
            The next question may be a bit more indirect, but I hope I can gather enough information while I don't have my own book:

- I want to have a guy who "owns" a city from the dark. People do what he wants, without them knowing. I imagine there must be some powers, from what Heavy Arms said, that simulate a siren's call or something that could be used to entice a few important people, and then the others he just keeps in place with terror, the kind of terror that you experience alone, sometimes only with the corner of your eye. Understandable, this sounds a bit like I need a Vampire, but, my table is composed by Werewolves, one of them a Rahu, so he should have his time to shine too. Is this possible with a single Beast?

Comment

[QUOTE=blodmåne;n1279081Is this innate or via powers? The question is based on a simple premise: are ALL Beasts capable of this, as shapeshifting to werewolves, or is it something specialized, like Protean claws to Vamps?[/quote]

Beasts have a number of innate powers under the name of Kinship that help them sense, make positive impression with, impersonate, and bond with other types of supernaturals.

These are, however, limited if opposed by bought powers, and Beasts have Atavaisms that let them go beyond what they can do innately.

Think of it a bit like vampires and boosting Strength. They can spend vitae to augment Strength, and they can buy Vigor to boost it even farther.

- If the Lair can become a physical place in the real world, can it be destroyed? Does the Beast lose their Potency stat?
              Generally superimposing your Lair on the physical world doesn't last long enough for it to be damaged.

Destroying most chambers in the Lair is a setback but not going to cost dots of Lair; they just have to go through the effort of adding new Chambers. The Heart Chamber (the central and core Chamber) getting destroyed outright kills the Beast; so Beasts tend to guard it carefully.

Their fuel trait is also their Integrity analog: Satiety. It's not particularly scarce, since you get it by causing shock in humans in-line with your Hunger, plus a few other methods. The complication with Satiety is the more full you are, the better the meal has to be to count. A hungry Beast can feed on small easy sources, but as they get more full, their Horror demands meals with more meaning and effort behind them to count.

Without powers, yes.

- As an extension: can they be killed?
              Sure, though the Horror is much harder to kill off than the Beast itself.

I'm not sure yet on the Horror thing-y. They seem sometimes to be separate beings, and sometimes not. This could very well be intended, and actually sounds cool. But, is it possible for you to FIGHT an Horror absent the Beast/Human?
              It is possible. The Horror lives in the Lair most of the time. If someone goes into the Lair while the human part of the Beast is in the normal world, the Horror is very likely to try to kill the intruder unless they know it's a friendly. The game has rules for the Horror's traits in this circumstance.

Is this possible with a single Beast?
              Sure, it's just a matter of how much you want to give them.

Atavisms aren't exclusive. So any Beast could have any Atavism. Same goes for Nightmares. And all the extra goodies in the Beast Players Guide.

Comment

I didn't, but the paragraph as whole was a delight to read, so I'm more than fine with it!
                Glad you liked that bit.

Perfect! Exactly what I need to instill fear on 3m tall wolves full of muscles.
                Is this innate or via powers? The question is based on a simple premise: are ALL Beasts capable of this, as shapeshifting to werewolves, or is it something specialized, like Protean claws to Vamps?
                There are atavisms and nightmares that can do the trick more specifically depending on what it is your hoping to do and that would probably be more like picking a specific ability up. Other abilities that work in that field are more innate to all Beasts. For example one called Thicker than Water allows one to spoof being another supernatural. It won't let you shapeshift like a garou can, but it will be enough for them to give you the benefit of the doubt if you're claiming to be one. There's also a fun one that lets you detect other supernatural. It isn't precise enough to let a Beast pick out a werewolf from a crowd, but it will tell a Beast that there are other supernaturals in the area. It also doesn't tell them what the supernatural is innately, but a Beast can eventually learn their own tells. My old joke was a Beast first encountering a werecoyote by announcing, "Guys we have a not werewolf." then clarifying to the stares, "Well you know how werewolves have that series of piano notes in A flat, same notes but its D minor on a piccolo. And its not a changeling that's a jazz number." All the while the group is just staring at the Beast like they're insane because no one understands what the hell all this musical stuff means.

A few more questions, though:
                The Lair overlaps with realworld locations when you pull it in, you normally can't pull the thing fully out of the Primordial Dream. (One can never discount spectacular circumstances for a story.) That said destroying parts of the Lair is still possible, it just normally involves going into the Lair in the Primordial Dream to destroy the chambers and such since the overlap isn't that long.

Its called Satiety actually. The meter is actually kind of cool, when your Hunger is closer to zero your atavisms get stronger and your nightmares get weaker. When your satiety is closer to max your atavisms are weaker, but your nightmares get stronger. Though you can always spend points of Satiety to activate some of the super effects of a power. There's also the fun part where your Beast gets pickier as your Satiety gets closer to full. Like vampires just need blood it doesn't matter who it comes from if you're almost empty or at full on your vitae unless you have that specific flaw it doesn't matter. A Beast though is actually going to need more specific things, like a nemesis might be able to feed on low satiety by just going after smash and grab job criminals and end up needing to hunt multicontinental serial killer when their Horror is being more picky.

-- As an extension: can they be killed?
                Yeah, they heal as human, though there a few other tricks they can use to heal a bit faster. Killing them is still possible, just a bit trickier.

- I'm not sure yet on the Horror thing-y. They seem sometimes to be separate beings, and sometimes not. This could very well be intended, and actually sounds cool. But, is it possible for you to FIGHT an Horror absent the Beast/Human?
                They kind of are. The conciousness isn't always in the Horror, though it can be whenever the human wants and can get their eyes closed, if the human part isn't in the Lair then the most they can do is ride their Horrors senses. Mind you fighting a Horror in the Lair is still a bit of a danger considering the Lair doesn't hurt the Horror since it is the Beast's Lair, invaders though are going to have to deal with the fact that they entered a chamber that is defined by blinding winds stoking fire hot enough to get iron to turn pink.

There seems to be a whole lot of mystery in just these post to be able to make a Beast as an antagonist for my Dark Ages table.
                The next question may be a bit more indirect, but I hope I can gather enough information while I don't have my own book:

- I want to have a guy who "owns" a city from the dark. People do what he wants, without them knowing. I imagine there must be some powers, from what Heavy Arms said, that simulate a siren's call or something that could be used to entice a few important people, and then the others he just keeps in place with terror, the kind of terror that you experience alone, sometimes only with the corner of your eye. Understandable, this sounds a bit like I need a Vampire, but, my table is composed by Werewolves, one of them a Rahu, so he should have his time to shine too. Is this possible with a single Beast?
                A Beast is fully capable of playing catspaws and misdirection games like anyone else can. Though if you're talking being able to just to talk people into doing stuff and then have terrifying muscle to back it up then still yeah. I mean aside from just human methods, I find myself fond of siren's voice atavism so just bloody talking to people counts on playing to their vices with that fun reminder of the time I gave someone a hug goodbye and the next day they started a quarantine because the guy died of ebola.(plaguebearer is fun.) There are other methods that's just one I had fun with.
                Last edited by nalak42; 01-06-2019, 10:50 PM.

Comment

This was extremely informative. Thank you very much!

Comment

Whether or not the Horror is a separate entity is difficult to explain, due to the complex nature in which White Wolf depicts a person's soul in World of Darkness. I usually think of the soul itself as being the very essence of a person's identity and consciousness, but in World of Darkness, souls are more like spiritual batteries that fuel the body's motivations. You can even swap them out and not have any major side effects as a result.

Getting back on the subject of Horrors, though, they rip the Beast's soul apart during their Devouring and replace it with themselves. Instead of a human soul, you now have a literal monster guiding your actions.

Unlike most splats (Vampire, Werewolf, Changeling, est), there is a way to restore the Beast's humanity. As I mentioned, souls are replaceable, and one of the Inheritances you can claim as a Beast is to kill the Horror and replace it with a new, human soul. Of course, this would mean that you need to get your hands on another soul to perform the transplant, and it's not like souls are just floating around out there waiting for a new body to inhabit.

Comment

These are all really good answers, so I'll just chime in to say that if you do end up getting Beast, the Player's Guide is essential (and I say this as someone who worked on both books). It clarifies some vagueness in the core, and it adds a great deal more utility, both mechanically and narratively.
                      Last edited by Yossarian; 01-07-2019, 02:03 PM.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                      Podcast: The Breakup

Comment

Good, now I know who to blame for me going hungry because of RPG books. (j/k)
                        I'll start with the main book for now, if the troupe likes the "unknown monster" lurking in the shadows, I'll take a look at the Player's Guide.

Comment

Good, now I know who to blame for me going hungry because of RPG books. (j/k)
                          I'll start with the main book for now, if the troupe likes the "unknown monster" lurking in the shadows, I'll take a look at the Player's Guide.
                          I like playing the sin-eater in communities, you can blame me.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

I don't want to push you to buy the BPG before you've had a chance to digest and try out the core book... but I can't help but encourage you to get it as soon as you're itching for more. Oddly, despite the name as being a book for players, it has a crazy number of tools for a ST looking to use Beast as an antagonist NPC.

Beyond a lot of the great writing in it on stuff Yossarian brought up... there's just some great mechanical stuff for an NPC, especially one that's behind the scenes, running the show, and has fingers in lots of pies.

The added Inguma Family are experts at infiltration and hiding within other groups. The Whispers Hunger is good for the spider in a web of information. The Enablers Hunger is great for someone that holds sway over lots of people by having offered them transgressions and kept blackmail material on it.

There's a bunch of Atavisms in the book that are fantastic for non-physical intimidation and psychological warfare; as well as a mind-protection power that is wonderful for NPCs to keep players from other games using powers like Dominate on them reliably.

It adds some fun Merits (including the one that lets you have a Lair where other people can live in it I mentioned earlier), but importantly Kinship Merits you can learn from bonding with other supernaturals. This includes things like being able to temporarily turn yourself into an undead creature, and another to give yourself fangs and blood drinking (though not blood points, you can just live off blood instead of food and water)... dramatically increasing your ability to pass off as something else.

It has rules for minions called Horrorspawn. And rules for having cults dedicated to your Beast, granting them a whole new source of power.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                              as well as a mind-protection power that is wonderful for NPCs to keep players from other games using powers like Dominate on them reliably.
                              That Alien Mindset or did I miss something?

Comment

Working...
                              X