No announcement yet.

Explain Beast to me as if I was five

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding in that some people find bits of how the Beast Core was written distasteful* and the Player's Guide clarified or helped with those problems.

*Oh god the number of times I've had to argue with someone that Beasts do not have to do horrible things and give people heart attacks just because the line reads "the fear must be real" when its saying you can't do things like have a person buy a thing just so you can pickpocket it from them to feed your collector. Or the number of people who insist on how Beasts would be KOS just because Thicker than Water means Beasts get a good first impression and people want to argue that "no one would like them if they didn't have that mindrape mary sue power." I mean really you can get the same effect by just offering to pick up the check.

Comment

I probably wouldn't have brought that up.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
      Currently Working On: The Noble and the Sovereign, Blog

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
        That Alien Mindset or did I miss something?
        That's what I was talking about, yeah. Just didn't seem worth naming all the relevant Atavisms to someone that doesn't have the book yet.

Comment

Originally posted by blodmåne View Post
          Good, now I know who to blame for me going hungry because of RPG books. (j/k)
          I'll start with the main book for now, if the troupe likes the "unknown monster" lurking in the shadows, I'll take a look at the Player's Guide.

"Unknown monster" lurking in the shadows are the Eshmaki family. Their nickname is Lurkers.

The other families are the:

Anakim - nicknamed Giants, they represent the fear of being powerless.

Namtaru - nicknamed Gorgons, they represent the fear of all that is hideous and repulsive.

Ugallu - nicknamed Raptors, they represent the fear of exposure and are traditionally associated with flying monsters.

Makara - nicknamed Leviathans, they represent the fear of the depths and are traditionally associated with sea monsters.

Inguma - nicknamed Outsiders, they represent the fear of those who are different and are the most 'human like' of the families.

Talassi - nicknamed Captors, they represent the fear of confinement. Due to a curse placed upon this family, they are often negatively stereotyped as sexual predators.

Comment

one thing to note on fear of depth and confinement since the differences can be subtle

fear of the depths is like becoming a criminal or even a hunter, slowly getting in over your head until you realise you can't back out. confinement is like having someone blackmail into doing things for you and threatening to sell you out if you dont comply

Comment

I'm a bit late, so: what the others said is great, they have it pretty much all covered and the Player's Guide is a blessing even if you liked the Core

Edit: If you did not like the Core, the Player's Guide is instead the Holy Graal that dispels the Age of Darkness and brings peace to the kingdom
              Last edited by Cinder; 01-08-2019, 09:10 AM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Regarding their combat potential, with the right Atavisms and some Nightmares, they can (appropriately enough) be terrifying in combat.

Comment

Originally posted by vernuf View Post
                  Regarding their combat potential, with the right Atavisms and some Nightmares, they can (appropriately enough) be terrifying in combat.

Especially since anybody who isn't supernaturally perceptive often don't have the ability to see the monstrous side of their powers. When a Beast uses their claws against an ordinary human, it looks like they tore them apart with their bare fingers.

Comment

You guys should get a percentage of what Onyx will get from the book I'm buying, because this is pretty much made my mind:

The added Inguma Family are experts at infiltration and hiding within other groups. The Whispers Hunger is good for the spider in a web of information. The Enablers Hunger is great for someone that holds sway over lots of people by having offered them transgressions and kept blackmail material on it.

Comment

You guys should get a percentage of what Onyx will get from the book I'm buying, because this is pretty much made my mind:

Ah, yeah, the Hungers.

In addition to the 5 (or 7) families your Beast can derive from, there are also 5 (or 7) Hungers which serve as their primary means of harvesting terror from their victims.

Power - You inspire fear through dominance, making those around you feel inferior. A nickname for you is Tyrant.

Hoard - You inspire fear by stealing material possessions which hold personal value to the victim. A nickname for you is Collector.

Ruin - You inspire fear by shattering the victim's sense of security. A nickname for you is Ravager.

Prey - You inspire fear by knocking people down a few notches on the food chain. A nickname for you is Predator.

Punishment - You inspire fear by punishing others for their wrong doings. A nickname for you is Nemesis.

Secrets - You inspire fear by acquiring information that your victim wishes to keep hidden from others. A nickname for you is Whisper.

Transgression - You inspire fear by convincing others to violate laws, taboos and boundaries of their own free will. Usually with a high risk of being caught afterward. A nickname for you is Enabler.
                      Last edited by Nyrufa; 01-08-2019, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Just to be sure, 5 from basic and 2 extra from Player's Book?

Comment

Yep. Secrets and Transgressions are the ones that come from the Player's Guide.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

So, I'm back. Bought the main book, not the Player's Guide yet (RPG books are too expensive in my country).

I read the book en passant while I was traveling and let me say this: the bits of story flavor around the book are just marvelous. Sometimes I was the only one awaken in the whole plane, that unnatural feeling of being around a hundred people and still alone, and I got those goosebumps from reading - most likely, if an Horror was around, it could be feeding from it. Honestly, one of the best I read in my whole life regarding role-playing games.
                            Unfortunately, I didn't read too much of the rules, but I loved the Atavisms; Beast feels like it can be the better version of other major splats, with the correct choices - what you can do, I can do better.

But... one question remains: the form. Literally the form.
                            Are you in human form when you use Atavisms and in low Satiety levels? One idea I had is for a small and old fisherman from the Giant family (Anakin?), but I'm a bit fuzzy on how it would look like when he decides to rip a plate of metal with his bare hands.
                            Lastly... do they age normally or should my Giant Beast be Devoured later in life to reflect his appearance?

Comment

atavisms are scary in that nothing physically changes. if a beast were to scratch of your face with his hands, he would not grow claws, he would have regular hands that are somehow ripping your face off. if someone were to have mage sight or something similar, they would see the horror itself acting as the extension of the beast.

beast age depending on how big their lairs are, 5he more dots in lair, the longer they live and less they age

Comment

But... one question remains: the form. Literally the form.
                                Are you in human form when you use Atavisms and in low Satiety levels? One idea I had is for a small and old fisherman from the Giant family (Anakin?), but I'm a bit fuzzy on how it would look like when he decides to rip a plate of metal with his bare hands.
                                Lastly... do they age normally or should my Giant Beast be Devoured later in life to reflect his appearance?
                                Outside of the Lair?

It looks like an old fisherman ripped off a plate of metal with his bare hands. He both looks too frail to ever do that and feels like that sort of thing was child's play. The dissonance between the visuals and the atmosphere is a big part of the horror aesthetic of Beast-mortals can't see the Horror without the Lair, but they can feel it.

Exceptions include the various Atavisms where it becomes too much for the flesh to contain, such as Dragonfire, Infestation, Skin Deep and Ravenous Maw, and supernatural entities can more strongly sense the Horror(read: like, in a visual medium, most supes can see the Horror superimposed over the Beast), but for the most part-if something where reality couldn't hope for such an image but a nightmare would happily fill it in, reality looks like reality but feels like a nightmare.

Beasts don't slow in age until past Lair 5, at which point it's about 50 years on top of the lifespan per dot of Lair and aging slowing to match. Some of the Inheritances fudge the math, but that's largely Storytelling fiat and never goes a whole lot farther than the standard(so far).

Comment

Working...
                                X