Are som Birthrights power too nerfed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Throne
    started a topic Are som Birthrights power too nerfed?

Are som Birthrights power too nerfed?

Hi, i re read the Birthrights from the core and BPG, and found the Makara Birthrights (from Core), Inguma Birthrights from BPG, and other too, as... too low power if compared with the other from the books.
    Am i the only one to think this?

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    ahh, yes I see now. I actually agree once per day vastly diminishes the utility (which I think you acknowledged by saying its "crafty")

so I agree that that particular birthright should be able to see more use. however, I think what the ability does itself should change

Leave a comment:

• The Throne
    replied
    Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
    are you saying it's unfair that that they can only use one message per scene instead of multiple ones? while I can understand that, if you could, then spamming the ability can just get you an 3asy breaking point

and one can't forget that, say, you have an enemy, a witch, maybe a vampire. now the inguma with that birthright can send a message to somebody (maybe a hunter or someone who can stir up trouble) explitely stating what your enemy is. in this situation, you can build up a possible ally through paranoia (nothing like telling a werewolf their new friend is an undead monster right in front of them)
    EDIT: Sorry, by the book i read one time at day (session maybe?), i homeruled about the once at scene)

Yes: it is usefull, a crafty one too!
    But before thinking about a breaking point, i argue that a condition as Spooked, Shaken or Obsession maybe? Is more suitable, at the start.
    Paranoia is ALWAYS a good thing...for a healty meal, uhuh!

Take the Core mechanic of Namtaru Birthright: this is more versatile and possible everytime to everyone. I would that This level is feasable for any birthrights, for every family.

@ Deinos, i agree with you too. From Nightmare, Merit, roleplay... Beast are borned for this. Literally!
    Last edited by The Throne; 01-14-2019, 06:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Deinos
    replied
    Originally posted by The Throne View Post
    I cannot see this bunch of power as "equal" or simple variation of theme with same power.
    You're right. Whatever metric was used to balance Birthrights is totally alien to me.
    Also beasts don't really need help from Birthrights to inflict breaking points in my view.

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    are you saying it's unfair that that they can only use one message per scene instead of multiple ones? while I can understand that, if you could, then spamming the ability can just get you an 3asy breaking point

and one can't forget that, say, you have an enemy, a witch, maybe a vampire. now the inguma with that birthright can send a message to somebody (maybe a hunter or someone who can stir up trouble) explitely stating what your enemy is. in this situation, you can build up a possible ally through paranoia (nothing like telling a werewolf their new friend is an undead monster right in front of them)

Leave a comment:

• The Throne
    replied
    Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
    the powers should not be seen in a purely mechanical sense, the fact is the other birthrights give you different abilities that help with other roles. and the Inguma ability helps with communication but also in building up paranoia and fear in someone, which can be great for a breaking point to get a new edition to the lair
    Very true, but we have same cost and a xp system for balance sake: nobody want to pay more for less agency with power / ability / merit.
    See power only on mechinal side is a no-no, but take also this nuance...have a point, is not?

What do you think about lower the cost and/or upgrade or add some perk?

Example from Makara.

" Once per scene, a Makara can impose a -2 penalty on all Physical actions for LAIR turns on anyone within (Lair x 10) feet.
    She canchoose not to affect certain characters with this power."

Example for Inguma.

" Once for scene she may send the victim a message; this can take various forms such as a brief voicemail, a few lines of text on a mirror, or a single object no larger than Size 1."

And, at 2 xp Cost?

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    the powers should not be seen in a purely mechanical sense, the fact is the other birthrights give you different abilities that help with other roles. and the Inguma ability helps with communication but also in building up paranoia and fear in someone, which can be great for a breaking point to get a new edition to the lair

Leave a comment:

• The Throne
    replied
    Originally posted by Deinos View Post
    Yeah. Ugallu is borderline necessary in my view.
    At my table their is the most loved!

An example from my dubts.
    My beast, Namtaru, hit Lair 7. Good, now i can buy for 5 Experience (as another Dot? A Birthright? I feel this off, too).
    Now what is better to buy? A bonus that grant me + Lair to Health, or a -2 for all phisical roll for ONE turn at 70 feet? Or buy, at same price, the capacity to give ONE message, one time ad day, to a person?
    My money will be on the last of Talassi alternative birthrights: negation of a resistence for a roll at scene.

I cannot see this bunch of power as "equal" or simple variation of theme with same power.
    Last edited by The Throne; 01-14-2019, 04:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    not really. all the birthrights offer benefits for different situations, and accentuate their respective families innate powers

Leave a comment:

• Deinos
    replied
    Yeah. Ugallu is borderline necessary in my view.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X