A call for aid!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A call for aid!

So i am doing a Contagion Chronicle game in the future, and leading up to that game i have each player character start out as a mortal and through their own personal plot become some kind of supernatural. Now! I have of course included all of the traditional options: Sin Eaters, Vampires, Mages and so on, but i have also included minor supernatural templates and untraditional options such as Hobgoblins and Heroes to the list.

One of the characters could end up becoming a hero as her boyfriend is a begotten and his lack of control over his Satiety could easily lead to her being influenced by the primordial dream. Now i love beast and all so don't think i am one of those who want to subvert...the subversion. I just wanted to ask in case that happens, if any of you have stumbled upon homebrew rules for Heroes as player characters? I want to play up the struggle against becoming the sort of obsessive maniac that the majority of the heroes are, or if she can manage to keep her integrity up and not become a complete psycho. The character is actually pretty similar...at least for now, to Marlena Sarcosa.

Originally posted by Caedus View Post
    So i am doing a Contagion Chronicle game in the future, and leading up to that game i have each player character start out as a mortal and through their own personal plot become some kind of supernatural. Now! I have of course included all of the traditional options: Sin Eaters, Vampires, Mages and so on, but i have also included minor supernatural templates and untraditional options such as Hobgoblins and Heroes to the list.

One of the characters could end up becoming a hero as her boyfriend is a begotten and his lack of control over his Satiety could easily lead to her being influenced by the primordial dream. Now i love beast and all so don't think i am one of those who want to subvert...the subversion. I just wanted to ask in case that happens, if any of you have stumbled upon homebrew rules for Heroes as player characters? I want to play up the struggle against becoming the sort of obsessive maniac that the majority of the heroes are, or if she can manage to keep her integrity up and not become a complete psycho. The character is actually pretty similar...at least for now, to Marlena Sarcosa.
    I don't remember seeing any such rules around; however there's no reason that your Hero character can't use the rules that antagonist Heroes use and just... be a good person. Go after the really horrible Beasts, the ones who are monsters and who revel in their cruelty, rather than the (relatively) benevolent ones. Just... keep your Integrity up.

If you have to, it wouldn't be that hard to come up with a condition for gaining new Gifts that aren't 'kill a Beast'. Perhaps they can be gained by performing some great work for a community (e.g. helping them put themselves back together after a disaster)?

Or, you could just make the character a Hunter, and use the powers that Heroes get as mechanical inspiration for a homebrew set of Hunter powers.

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
      If you have to, it wouldn't be that hard to come up with a condition for gaining new Gifts that aren't 'kill a Beast'. Perhaps they can be gained by performing some great work for a community (e.g. helping them put themselves back together after a disaster)?
      I have a suggestion based on ajf115's suggestion. You could task your Hero with dissolving Chambers. She has to investigate what caused them to form, much like a Beast would. However, the moment a Beast could add it to their Lair, the Hero has to heal associated traumas, right the wrongs or help the Mortal community confront the problem that caused the Chamber to arise. If you want to show symmetry between Heroes and Beasts, you can make the process of claiming a Chamber more involved for the latter. They not only have to discover how the Chamber came to be - they have to prove to the Primordial Dream that they deserve to own it.

Such a Beast Hero duo could scout the Dream claiming useful Chambers and dissolving the rest, denying resources to competition.

~

Comment

GibberingEloquence had some stuff, last I heard.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

i am more looking for mechanical aid than plot aid per say, i can figure out plots and stuff. But i don't want the character to be mechanically left behind compared to the other characters. So if anyone has merits, alternative ways to earn gifts and similar then it would be appreciated

Comment

If you're going to allow minor templates to play alongside major ones you might consider allowing doubling up of minor templates. Mechanically Heroes are just not on par with Beasts and never will be. That's an intentional design choice. To level the field you could use another minor splat from another line, or micro templates from Hurt Locker, or even a Hunter compact/conspiracy.

Specifically, look at Lost Boys from Hurt Locker and the Merrick Institute from Hunter: Tooth and Nail. They're merit based options that can add a lot of oomph to a Hero.

Comment

When i say mechanically left behind i think more about...being defined as opposed to being powerful. Like we see the system for heroes as antagonists, but i want to have more of a system when they are taken into player hands. Like the gathering followers abillity of theirs, is just left up to the st with no crunch and the same with heroic tracking.

Comment

Caedus

I got just the thing for you. Check out this thread I made.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

ohhh i do like it, i don't entirely agree with the heroic stalking and the followers thing, but i found some cool alternatives to that in the Hunter book: Tooth and Nail

Comment

While weak, NPC heroes still are people who killed beasts (I think), so the ST is justified at making them hella badass profession 5 fated ferocity 5 "one shot you in one action" dudes.

PC heroes, on the other hand, are people who can be babbysitted by a brood, and hand fed any Evil Beast Villains they come across to deliver coup de graces. You use Real World to block enemy beasts.

Comment

Working...
                    X