X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kargle18446
    started a topic Improving on the Insatiable

Improving on the Insatiable

So the Beast Game I've been running has been progreasing nicely and I'd like to introduce an Insatiable as a new antagonist.

Now first of all I want to sayour that I like the Insatiable and think their themes and their fluff is solid and doesn't need changing for me at least. The mechanics however do leave quite a bit to be desired in my opinion for a number of reasons.

1) Horrible Form: So Insatiable are supposed to be monsters at their core and are described in the Night Horrors book as "may always access their Insatiable nature, even in public". The horrible form ability initially supports this, claiming an Insatiable can assume their form at any time similar to the Beast Rampant. However, this is only mechanically represented by a one time ability to inflict the "shaken" condition and the book provides no support in how to model a more permanent Horrible Form despite describing them for each example antagonist.

2) The Scism: The scism supposedly inflicts widespread panic across the effected area, cumulative eventually in the complete breakdown of peoples rationality. However once again there is nothing to mechanicaly support this outside of a social influence penalty.

3) Manifesting Lairs. Possibly the most throwaway part of their abilities, the Insatiable can manifest a temporary lair using satiety but there is no explanation at all as to how this works.

So with these being my main issues surrounding the use of the Insatiable I was wondering if anyone knew of any good homebrews or if anyone had any good suggestions for improving on these areas or if this is something I'll have to put some work into, *gulp*.

• Teatime
    replied
    Awww, duh! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Kargle18446 View Post
    1) Horrible Form: So Insatiable are supposed to be monsters at their core and are described in the Night Horrors book as "may always access their Insatiable nature, even in public". The horrible form ability initially supports this, claiming an Insatiable can assume their form at any time similar to the Beast Rampant. However, this is only mechanically represented by a one time ability to inflict the "shaken" condition and the book provides no support in how to model a more permanent Horrible Form despite describing them for each example antagonist.
    The Shaken Condition by default is gained after a scene or longer in the Insatiable's presence. Before that is the immediate compulsion to flee the sight of its Horrible Form and the subsequent rationalization of the encounter, which is nothing to sneeze at when combined with the equivalent benefits of a Merger.

Teatime, it's on the page you've quoted in the post-errata PDF:
    An Insatiable gains all of the bonuses that a Beast with 10 dots in Lair could gain during the Merger (Beast: The Primordial p. 239) except they do not gain the bonus to detecting ambushes.

Leave a comment:

• Kargle18446
    replied
    Originally posted by Teatime View Post
    I just skimmed the book but couldn't find anything about taking 10 points of benefits, though I could have missed it. I did find this quote, but it's not really helpful:

It doesn't really seem coherent, considering that Merger benefits can be taken multiple times. On the other hand, every stat-up from Merger is represented by a transformation of some sort...

I think you ought to just give your Insatiable some Atavisms and/or Dread Powers, no matter what the rules say. Insatiables can steal Atavisms from Beasts anyway, so you're not stretching the rules that far.
    Yeah I was drifting towards dread powers anyway. That's weird with the text though, my pdf book says the same but specifies a beast with 10 dots of Lair for the Merger.

Leave a comment:

• Teatime
    replied
    I just skimmed the book but couldn't find anything about taking 10 points of benefits, though I could have missed it. I did find this quote, but it's not really helpful:

Originally posted by Conquering Heroes p.98
    An Insatiable gains all of the bonuses that a Beast gains during the Merger (Beast: The Primordial p. 239) except they do not gain the bonus to detecting ambushes.
    It doesn't really seem coherent, considering that Merger benefits can be taken multiple times. On the other hand, every stat-up from Merger is represented by a transformation of some sort...

I think you ought to just give your Insatiable some Atavisms and/or Dread Powers, no matter what the rules say. Insatiables can steal Atavisms from Beasts anyway, so you're not stretching the rules that far.

Leave a comment:

• Kargle18446
    replied
    Originally posted by Teatime View Post
    You may lift the rules for Merger from the Corebook. The biggest challenge is in deciding how many benefits to give the Insatiable. Beasts get a number equal to their former Lair rating, so if you keep that rule the Insatiable's monstrous form will get stronger or weaker over time. If you go that route, you might make their power dependent on Satiety or Willpower instead.

Alternatively, just assume a number between 1 and 5 (depending on intended power of the enemy) and give them that many benefits.

Esurients have activation costs, so you may determine one to activate the monstrous form. It could be anything from Willpower, through Satiety and Lair ending with Health.
    If I'm not mistaken your meant to use 10 dots of merger benefits when creating an insatiable anyway? Also the merger benefits are all pretty stat ups, which is fine for beasts because antavisms cover your monsters powers whereas Esurients are kinda ....limited in nature I guess?

Leave a comment:

• Teatime
    replied
    Originally posted by Kargle18446 View Post
    You may lift the rules for Merger from the Corebook. The biggest challenge is in deciding how many benefits to give the Insatiable. Beasts get a number equal to their former Lair rating, so if you keep that rule the Insatiable's monstrous form will get stronger or weaker over time. If you go that route, you might make their power dependent on Satiety or Willpower instead.

Alternatively, just assume a number between 1 and 5 (depending on intended power of the enemy) and give them that many benefits.

Esurients have activation costs, so you may determine one to activate the monstrous form. It could be anything from Willpower, through Satiety and Lair ending with Health.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X