Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinslayers (STV Content)

Hello Beast fans.

So, inspired by some of the conversations we've been having on this forum, I did a thing:

https://www.storytellersvault.com/pr...790/Kinslayers

I think Heroes are one of the most interesting aspects of Beast, but they're not really implemented as well as they could be, and the dynamic between them and Beasts can be a problematic, especially considering Begotten can knock down buildings and Heroes have +2 swords.

This isn't to slag on anything that came before. The Heroes in the book can be very workable antagonists, and Conquering Heroes does a lot of interesting things with them, but I've been thinking a lot about how I'd do them differently. Think of this as a kind of Shard scenario.

This specific idea came up for me long ago during a conversation with a friend who wasn't all that keen about the mechanics for Heroes. He did one of the art pieces, and his Deviant Art account is linked in the file. He gets credit for sparking the concept (although I think I've seen a similar idea elsewhere).

Which is all to say, I hope you like it.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
    Podcast: The Breakup

Ooh, this has my interest.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Huh. I was wondering if a "playable Heroes" supplement was going to pop up on ST Vault but, well, here we are.

Comment

Huh, interesting take. I might try making some use of this.

Comment

It's not how I would do Heroes (obviously, for anyone familiar with my rhetoric) but it's definitely a cool take with some neat stuff going on with it. Might use it as an out of context antagonist at some point.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
            It's not how I would do Heroes (obviously, for anyone familiar with my rhetoric) but it's definitely a cool take with some neat stuff going on with it. Might use it as an out of context antagonist at some point.
            Yeah, it’s not even necessarily how I’d do it if I were, like, writing Beast 2.0, but I think that out of context villain thing is important.

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

Yeah, it’s not even necessarily how I’d do it if I were, like, writing Beast 2.0, but I think that out of context villain thing is important.
              I can just hear my players confusion dealing with Nightmare of the Ego.

"HOW IS IT HITTING ME WITH EARTHEN ARMS AND PINNING ANATHEMA ON ME."

Comment

Yossarian, can you describe, in broad strokes, how your Kinslayers differ from normal Heroes of BtP? I understand mechanics are what sells your stuff - but just general concepts that you embraced in SV supplement?

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                  Yossarian, can you describe, in broad strokes, how your Kinslayers differ from normal Heroes of BtP? I understand mechanics are what sells your stuff - but just general concepts that you embraced in SV supplement?
                  Sure.

In short, they’re Beasts with some limitations and alterations. They can do some of the things Heroes can (like stalking and tracking, and placing Anathema), and they track a different form of Satiety called Glory. That’s the long and short of it. It’s pretty toolboxy though.

Comment

I dig this. Definitely going to use them somehow, probably alongside regular Heroes. The Shards were a nice touch as well, I'll have to remember that for when I have time to start uploading my own work.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

I finally charged some money on my card and quickly got my copy of this. I like it! Writing quality aside, which is delightfully high but comes as no surprise, it touches some interesting points and builds upon new concepts and others that came up here and there (I swear I remember you talking about Hamartia, but hell if I know where).

Overall, well done! I think that nowadays my ideas for Heroes are more different from those described here than I would have thought in the past, but this is neverthless a really solid take that provides cool options, game hooks and stuff to think about. Gotta agree that the Shards are a nice touch too. I do think I can use it at the table, which is always good.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                        I finally charged some money on my card and quickly got my copy of this. I like it! Writing quality aside, which is delightfully high but comes as no surprise, it touches some interesting points and builds upon new concepts and others that came up here and there (I swear I remember you talking about Hamartia, but hell if I know where).
                        I've been chewing on the Hamartia thing for a while (at least since the core was in development). If there ever is an ST Guide, and if I happen to write on it, it's still a concept I'd like to explore, probably in a more detailed way than here.

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                        Overall, well done! I think that nowadays my ideas for Heroes are more different from those described here than I would have thought in the past, but this is neverthless a really solid take that provides cool options, game hooks and stuff to think about. Gotta agree that the Shards are a nice touch too. I do think I can use it at the table, which is always good.
                        Thanks!

Comment

Ohh, this is curious. Just the other day I was pondering Heroes-As-Beasts, as an outstretch from an old playable Heroes expansion project, right down to some of the limitations and alterations described. A different form of Satiety is an interesting concept.

Comment

Originally posted by YeOfLittleFaith View Post
                            Ohh, this is curious. Just the other day I was pondering Heroes-As-Beasts, as an outstretch from an old playable Heroes expansion project, right down to some of the limitations and alterations described. A different form of Satiety is an interesting concept.
                            I think it's a really natural idea (as I said above, I'm sure I've seen it before), even if it it's a bit contrary to some of the game's themes. But it's a shard, so it's fine to upend some of that. Giving them an alternate form of Satiety is what makes me interested in them as "Heroes" rather than Beasts with a grudge.

Also, people who've bought this, please consider giving it a star rating and/or writing a review. It's a little thing, but it's very helpful!

Comment

Working...
                            X