Why I Really Miss The Homecoming.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Really Miss The Homecoming.

I mean it really spoke to My, I have Autism and Depression. And probably ADHD and shit they Sometimes have similar Symptoms.

Before I was Medically Dignosed I thought I was just a Lazy Bitch,my parents still loved me but I didn’t love me.

After finding out I had depression I learnt how to deal with it better if not perfect.

I consider the Homecoming to be finding out that your Fucked up and different and learning to deal and cope with it.

Your not lazy you have a serious mental disorder that’s like calling someone ‘lazy’ because they have 30% of their bones broken. That was so comforting.

I also like that it was a Entirely Private Thing. I don’t like hanging out with people. Not always but I like to by Alone.

I consider it to be about learning there’s something Imperfect/ I don’t know how to phrase this /Flawed” about you

There's still homecomings.

"With her soul cleared away and the Horror finally replacing it, she claims a birthright she never knew she had. For Beasts Devoured by other Beasts, they have a big sibling to welcome them to their new family. For Beasts who experience the Devouring spontaneously, the Devouring is more of a homecoming."

Though that being said, one element I approve of in Beast is finding out things are going to be all right and that you aren't messed up anymore; its rarely, if ever, an inarguably benevolent act to embrace someone, but proto-beasts should probably changed immediately, or else they will suffer nightmares until they are changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Deinos View Post
      There's still homecomings.

"With her soul cleared away and the Horror finally replacing it, she claims a birthright she never knew she had. For Beasts Devoured by other Beasts, they have a big sibling to welcome them to their new family. For Beasts who experience the Devouring spontaneously, the Devouring is more of a homecoming."

Though that being said, one element I approve of in Beast is finding out things are going to be all right and that you aren't messed up anymore; its rarely, if ever, an inarguably benevolent act to embrace someone, but proto-beasts should probably changed immediately, or else they will suffer nightmares until they are changed.

That is different from the original Homecoming.

Comment

While I understand this is largely personal, there's a few things that seem.... questionable.

For example the Homecoming in the early drafts don't have anyway to emulate the "Before I was Medically Diagnosed," aspect. One of the reasons Homecoming was only OK for me, is that it lacks that external validation. The Homecoming's cathartic pay-off is lessened by its sudden and purely internal aspect. There's nothing in it besides a cheap handwave to get you from "I'm lazy," to, "I'm different," that makes you wonder why the majority of Beasts don't respond more with, "fuck, I'm super extra ultra Lazy and even worse of a person than I thought," to the Homecoming.

Having it be self-validating runs contrary to the experiences so many people say it resonates with, because those experiences vastly favor some level of external validation preceding the self-validation. You didn't just wake up one day after a really strange dream and realize you were suffering from severe Depression on your own, and feel empowered now to deal with it. People helped you name it, showed you a path to walk to cope with it, and while you still have to do that work (which might be very personal and private) the catalyst is still contingent on someone helping you out. Which Homecoming doesn't have.

Comment

I have no direct comment on how someone responds to Homecoming and Devouring personally, but I do have some stuff from previous comments that kind of wraps up a lot of my feelings on the Devouring, so I shall share that.

the nature of Devouring is a form of ouroborous-style actualization where the encounters with the Horror pre-Final Devouring is a psychic journey of collapsing one's persona( and Life) and their shadow(and Legend) into a whole new form of being and aspect of self, where a dreamer has encountered darkness, passed through it and became it, a crystal moment of understanding, that he then emerges from the otherside of, newly reborn in fuller clarity of self and the world.
          Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
          *insert some things about a bad alternative*, it really does strongly miss out on the strong metaphor-and-starting-character-beat that Beasts start on with the Devouring having been clarified and even defined as they are. They have come home not only because they have, you know, turned into monsters they always sort of knew they were, but because they have gone through a mythic realization of self, a metaphor that is as powerful for a transgender individual as it is for...well, anyone else. They have Devoured everything confining and defining and have escaped themselves into a fuller and more whole individual. This concept also creates interesting story potential for starting Beasts, because beasts start off at a point many stories-hell, many of the other gamelines-would actually end on, and therefore opens up a new cavalcade of character concepts and story concepts as we now answer the question of "now what?", which is primarily the dual matters of self-transcendence(enforced by Lair bleeding into Hunger and Chamber gathering, which builds into Kinship, and is heavily conflicted with by both Heroic and Insatiable confrontation) and self-reflection(to a lesser extent, admittedly, but that's not forgotten).

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

I also don’t like that teach though fear thing in reminds my of someone beating the shit out of there famloto teach them a lesson

Comment

Double post
              Last edited by Konradleijon; 04-04-2019, 06:56 PM.

Comment

double post
                Last edited by Konradleijon; 04-04-2019, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Konradleijon, please dont make 3 separate posts in a row. and I dont want to be mean, but you are kinda beating a dead horse. I'm saying this because bot only have you decided to talk about homecoming again while bringing up the same points, but you've also decided to bring in your opinion on lessons again

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
                    I also don’t like that teach though fear thing in reminds my of someone beating the shit out of there famloto teach them a lesson
                    It reminds me of basic training. And like it or not, fear and pain are effective teachers. Proof: The entirety of human history.
                    Last edited by Eternal Darkness; 04-04-2019, 08:37 PM. Reason: Typos, of course

Comment

Teaching through shock is effective but morally troublesome.. as it is presented in the game. The fact that Beasts embrace the Lesson Philosophy and it generally results in more ethical Beasts than those that reject it? It isn't really a celebration of lessons through shock, but an effective point of how damaging Beasts can be.

Not sure what this has to do with the Homecoming though.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                        Teaching through shock is effective but morally troublesome.. as it is presented in the game. The fact that Beasts embrace the Lesson Philosophy and it generally results in more ethical Beasts than those that reject it? It isn't really a celebration of lessons through shock, but an effective point of how damaging Beasts can be.

Not sure what this has to do with the Homecoming though.
                        Ugh Abstinence only sex Ed the Type where IF YOU HAVE SEX YOU’LL GET ALL THE AIDS is rightfuly thought of as Bullshit,

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post

Ugh Abstinence only sex Ed the Type where IF YOU HAVE SEX YOU’LL GET ALL THE AIDS is rightfuly thought of as Bullshit,
                          I...don't understand this as a response to Arms.

I mean, you're not wrong, but it has nothing to do with what Arms said.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Yeah... me too.

Comment

Anyways, as far as Lessons go, it comes down a simple question: Do what the fuck ever you want and fuck anyone who gets in your way, OR you can try and be constructive and use your feeding as a means to improve people's lives as much as you can, either by being the adversity that brings out the better in them or cutting the fucker's who ain't listening down.

Thing of the matter is that Beasts know the former is fine (enough for some, not accounting for how individuals react to it), because sating your Hunger feels good and the Horror asks for nothing else but? But it's also kind of a hollow run of things, a method of gorging mindlessly until you run into the existential question of "Fuck, is this it?" It also leaves you unarmed for any argument over the subject that could be resolved with anything more than a fist through the other person's face.

And what more is that Lessons become a further means exploring the self and one's relationship to the wider world, through friends, family, and enemies both mortal and supernatural, and ultimately the environment, which directly translates into further power by Feeding Hunger, Building Lair, Discovering Atavisms, Nightmares, and Kinship benefits, and more, so it basically just helping a Beast do what they were already doing by giving essential frameworks that allow them test all of these against some kind of boundary. Like art, a Beast's path of self-discovery and self-actualization is aided by some guidelines and restrictions, and the method of working through Lessons allows for the kind of contextualization that lets a Beast become.

And it's not like it's an either/or affair. A Beast can play at it for a while and then quit. It's not like other Beasts don't get it, even if the culture supports it.

Soooooo chalk me as one of those people who think the reaction against Lessons is kind of overblown, much like the reaction against Homecoming vs Devouring.(Though in that case, for me it really just comes down to them being words, and words are cheap.)
                              Last edited by ArcaneArts; 04-04-2019, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X