Another Ending: Graduation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Ending: Graduation

So I know that this doesn't work well with Beast as written, but a thought that might be interesting to pursue without some of the changes I'm muddling through in my head.

So Beasts are monsters, but they still have the attachments to humans they developed before. Following the theme of family, a Beast may wish to protect those people. From other supernatural creatures. From themselves. To this end, what if the Beast deliberately created and trained Heroes? Using the Hero as a shield for the people they care about, teaching them about what they should or shouldn't do in pursuit of that. Failure might lead to the psychopaths Heroes are portrayed as.

Ultimately, the goal of this training is "Graduation". The Hero gains sufficient power to kill the Beast, allowing them to protect the Beast's family from the Beast. When the Beast feels their Hero is ready, they invite them into their Lair. The Hero and Beast fight. And one of two things happen (well three if you include the Beast winning,) the Hero slays the Beast or the Hero accepts the Beast. In the first case this either ends in death or an Erasure Inheritance. In the second, a different kind of Inheritance happens akin to a stable Incarnate Inheritance. Essentially, the recognition and acceptance of the Hero frees the Beast from their Hunger.

I like this. I've actually done something sort-of like this in a game once, though i didn't think of it quite in terms of training your own watchdog.

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Darkness View Post
      I like this. I've actually done something sort-of like this in a game once, though i didn't think of it quite in terms of training your own watchdog.
      There could definitely be all sorts of reasons to do this. I was just thinking that a (reluctantly) card carrying villain might choose to engineer their own downfall. Or maybe even just to have fun. I imagine becoming a mentor and being the Mastermind behind someone else's trouble would be a great way to feed. Eventually, when you run out of competition to have your pet hero destroy you reveal yourself. Inflicting maximum psychological damage as the hero realizes that this person they trusted was actually the big bad the whole time.

Comment

I quite like this is well. The most interesting thing to me is the idea of a connection between a Hero and a Beast, it gives me a thought about somehow combining their influence into a single thing. What if a Beasts legends was intrinsically linked to a Hero? A Batman and Joker sort of deal where both are dependant on the other. Could be something worth exploring if it ever came up.

Comment

Originally posted by Kargle18446 View Post
          I quite like this is well. The most interesting thing to me is the idea of a connection between a Hero and a Beast, it gives me a thought about somehow combining their influence into a single thing. What if a Beasts legends was intrinsically linked to a Hero? A Batman and Joker sort of deal where both are dependant on the other. Could be something worth exploring if it ever came up.
          I wonder if you could get a symbiotic relationship going. Where the hero uses the beast to quiet the voice in their head that tells them they need to hunt a beast and the beast uses the hero to feed (not sure how this would work exactly.) Maybe in their off time the two are actually friends just trying to deal with this legend/mythic structure hoisted upon them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kargle18446 View Post

Man, i'd actually play this. in fact, i'm going to. Thanks for the inspiration.

Comment

Working...
            X