Beast, CHangeling's and other things.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paradim View Post

Seeing statements like this from you (and the over all really eloquent post) makes me really hopeful to find your name in the writing credits on any new Beast: The Primordial related books.
    That reminds me, I need to finish that "What I want to see in the Beast SG" thing.

I need to find out who's at the steering wheel for it, actually.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
      That reminds me, I need to finish that "What I want to see in the Beast SG" thing.

I need to find out who's at the steering wheel for it, actually.
      Yeah about that...

About a month ago in one of the MMNs, OPP listed a bunch of gamelines that were in active development as of that post, due to them planning out what's going to being the OPP 2019 Brochure...and both Beast and Promethean were pointedly not in the listed gamelines. There was this exchange in the comments section:

Originally posted by Jeremiah
      I notice Promethean and Beast aren’t being worked on. If you need someone to work on them I’m your guy!
      Originally posted by Eddy Webb
      A generous offer! However, the issue isn’t one of people — we have, at least count, over 200 active freelancers working with us, and we get new submissions every week. There are lots of other reasons why we might decide to let a line rest for a while, some of which we either can’t talk about in public or are out of our control entirely. But just because we haven’t put a book out for a particular line in a while doesn’t mean we won’t come back to it down the road.
      While he didn't get into specific reasons, considering what happened a few weeks prior to that MMN and who the line dev for Beast and Promethean 2e...I can guess as to one of the reasons why.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

Yeah about that...

About a month ago in one of the MMNs, OPP listed a bunch of gamelines that were in active development as of that post, due to them planning out what's going to being the OPP 2019 Brochure...and both Beast and Promethean were pointedly not in the listed gamelines. There was this exchange in the comments section:

While he didn't get into specific reasons, considering what happened a few weeks prior to that MMN and who the line dev for Beast and Promethean 2e...I can guess as to one of the reasons why.
        Figured that.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Yeah about that...

Ew, this doesn't bode well. I fear that means a Beast 2e, when it finally does happen, might get completely revised into something...not like the Beast i love at all in order to distance it from an unpleasant individual and appease the aggrieved. I hope that isn't the case, as softening the edges on Beast to make it more like the other games would likely kill its unique identity if it's done poorly. Ah well, nothing stopping me from ignoring it like I do most OPP shenanigans if it's terribad.

Comment

Actually, I think I'll go ahead and just make a separate thread on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Darkness View Post
              Ew, this doesn't bode well. I fear that means a Beast 2e, when it finally does happen, might get completely revised into something...not like the Beast i love at all in order to distance it from an unpleasant individual and appease the aggrieved. I hope that isn't the case, as softening the edges on Beast to make it more like the other games would likely kill its unique identity if it's done poorly. Ah well, nothing stopping me from ignoring it like I do most OPP shenanigans if it's terribad.
              That's a very pessimistic outlook for something that is many, many years away and won't happen until long after this has stopped affecting Beast as a gameline. If Beast 2e gets fucked it'll be because of future events or changes to the company or industry that are still relevant at that time.

Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Actually, I think I'll go ahead and just make a separate thread on the subject.
                Separate thread's up.

Comment

That's a good idea.

Anyways, back on point, one thing that can probably be played with more in future books of Beasts is that "terrible beauty" that the perspective of Beast offers-it's a brutal, harsh, and toothy world they expose, even with lessons, but on the other hand, hearth and home and the stark beauty of a world after the hurricane.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                    That's a good idea.

Anyways, back on point, one thing that can probably be played with more in future books of Beasts is that "terrible beauty" that the perspective of Beast offers-it's a brutal, harsh, and toothy world they expose, even with lessons, but on the other hand, hearth and home and the stark beauty of a world after the hurricane.
                    I think a book based around kinship would be great (both to show a side of terrible beauty as you have said, and to show a side as just plain monstrous)

and speaking of beauty, while unnatural, imagine a vampire finally being able to see the sun again in a beast's lair through kinship immunity

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                      and speaking of beauty, while unnatural, imagine a vampire finally being able to see the sun again in a beast's lair through kinship immunity
                      I don't know that it works that way; being able to protect guests from Lair Traits doesn't make the manifestations of those Traits stop being the things that they are.

Resident Lore-Hound
                      Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                        I don't know that it works that way; being able to protect guests from Lair Traits doesn't make the manifestations of those Traits stop being the things that they are.
                        I assume it would work that way. while yes, it is functionally sunlight, a beast makes kin immune to lair traits if he wants. it still follows dream logic and the books never put up an exception

Comment

I assume it would work that way. while yes, it is functionally sunlight, a beast makes kin immune to lair traits if he wants.
                          And none of the Tilts Lair Traits apply are "this is sunlight."

it still follows dream logic and the books never put up an exception
                          It follows nightmare logic. The books put up the idea that Beasts and their kin are kin because they're similar, not because the Begotten can plug the holes in their relatives' physicality in ways that disregard thematics.

It's also important to note that the ability to have Lair Traits active and not harm your guests is framed as protecting them from the Tilts, not making them immune to the Tilts, which is a thing that can only be done for other Beasts. You can manifest convenient patches of shade for your vampire friend in your Lair so they don't disintegrate, but they're still going to take damage if they spend long enough in the sunlight and get no special resistance to frenzy from exposure to it.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

And none of the Tilts Lair Traits apply are "this is sunlight."

It follows nightmare logic. The books put up the idea that Beasts and their kin are kin because they're similar, not because the Begotten can plug the holes in their relatives' physicality in ways that disregard thematics.

It's also important to note that the ability to have Lair Traits active and not harm your guests is framed as protecting them from the Tilts, not making them immune to the Tilts, which is a thing that can only be done for other Beasts. You can manifest convenient patches of shade for your vampire friend in your Lair so they don't disintegrate, but they're still going to take damage if they spend long enough in the sunlight and get no special resistance to frenzy from exposure to it.
                            the negation from lair traits is true in the facet that it blocks it from happening to them. And I cant say I know for sure how possible sunlight caused traits such as Bright would affect vampires that are given immunity. but I can say that neither of us are for sure on the matter, and while it's more likely that I'm wrong considering the circumstances, I'd leave it for a more "official" person to clarify on this issue

Comment

the negation from lair traits is true in the facet that it blocks it from happening to them. And I cant say I know for sure how possible sunlight caused traits such as Bright would affect vampires that are given immunity. but I can say that neither of us are for sure on the matter, and while it's more likely that I'm wrong considering the circumstances, I'd leave it for a more "official" person to clarify on this issue
                              There's a sidebar on page 103 that explicitly uses a Trait representing blinding desert sunlight causing a vampire to burst into flames as an example of Traits having greater or unique effects on other supernatural beings based on their own weaknesses.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

There's a sidebar on page 103 that explicitly uses a Trait representing blinding desert sunlight causing a vampire to burst into flames as an example of Traits having greater or unique effects on other supernatural beings based on their own weaknesses.
                                I understand that. it does not, however, state what happens when given immunity from such a trait

Comment

Working...
                                X