Frost, Fire, and Mountain Giants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frost, Fire, and Mountain Giants

I have a great love for the mythologies and folklore of many cultures and I generally try to base the characters I create for Beat as well as Changeling on mythical monsters and humanoids found therein. That being said, I am wondering what your opinions would be on which hungers best fit one of the 3 main giant species found in Norse mythology? I personally have Fire Giants as Anakim/Ravagers and the Frost/Mountain Giants as Anakim/Tyrants. Would you think that Frost and Mountain Giants could also be Ravagers or of another hunger altogether?

Originally posted by Darklander View Post
    I have a great love for the mythologies and folklore of many cultures and I generally try to base the characters I create for Beat as well as Changeling on mythical monsters and humanoids found therein. That being said, I am wondering what your opinions would be on which hungers best fit one of the 3 main giant species found in Norse mythology? I personally have Fire Giants as Anakim/Ravagers and the Frost/Mountain Giants as Anakim/Tyrants. Would you think that Frost and Mountain Giants could also be Ravagers or of another hunger altogether?
    I think the initial problem with this question is that in the mythology giants are... for lack of a better word, people as well as monsters - they vary. The giant(s?) that built Asgard's walls might be taken for a Collector, given their desire to claim Freya, while Surtr is unquestionably a Ravager. Utgard-Loki strikes me as an Anakim Tyrant, given his desire to belittle Thor, Loki and the human companion whose name escapes me.

All of this aside, I do find it interesting how the word jotunn is thought to have had its etymological roots in 'consuming', 'voracious/gluttonous' or 'greedy'. Very fitting for Beasts, given that you could translate 'jotunn' as 'devourer' or similar.

Comment

Working...
    X