Another Princess: the Hopeful, Beast: the Primordial thread,

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Princess: the Hopeful, Beast: the Primordial thread,

I read the Princess core book and loved all of it, I’m wondering about the a crossover game between them.

Or more likely a story idea or even Fan-fiction I could write. Cause no one I know play TTRPGs)That will probably include weird NSFW stuff,

So what are you wondering about them?

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

How would you do a crossover?

Comment

Is this for a Princess focused story with Beasts as additional characters? Beast focused with Princesses showing up? Or setting up a mixed group?

Comment

I mean, I usually start with the characters, or at least the group's reason for being together, which I can usually spin out from what the players find interesting that's shared or more or less closely related.

Since this sounds like a fiction, what that means is figuring out what you like in both settings, what forms of opposition do you like the idea of confrontation you like, and start stitching characters and logical plot skeletons from there.

If nothing else, make some characters for each that are the sort of characters you'd like to play, and then figure out why they would regularly work together/hang out together/build terrible things together, and then throws things at them.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

I am going to preface this by stating - I've never played Princess the Hopeful. I've read a bit of it and -almost- run it, but ... other's thoughts might be a better source of advice on this matter because I'm not speaking from experience like usual. But this is my immediate thought for what I would use for inspiration:

Batman and Superman. Batman = Beast. Superman = Princess (not powers - more like ideals and relationship to the people). On the one hand, they both want the same thing; To fight crime. For Batman, it's an obsession - it's not really something he chooses to do (in fact, he could probably be a lot more efficient out of a cape than in one) but something he needs to do, because a part of him is driven to do it. Superman though was born to power, and has a very firm moral compass - he has the power to make a difference and chooses to do so.

It feels like if you were to mix the venues together, you'd be trying to strike a balance similar to that - two forces, one light and one dark, ultimately with the same goal. It's here they find kinship, even though their methods and beliefs differ greatly. One might break bones, torture their victims, and thrive on fear - while the other inspires hope. They may clash in how they handle things. Heck, there may be times where that Princess is just as valid a prey as any other prey.

TL;DR - Make the Beast's Hunger resonate with the Princess's ideals.

P.S. Of course, this is only applicable to the normal PC princesses. Tears, Storms, and Mirrors would all have much different approaches. I feel like you could make a hell of a Hero out of a Mirror.

Comment

Jakondite totally agree.

Comment

With difficulty. To go to the Superman-Batman example above, Superman is generally eventually able to accept that Batman has limits that Superman doesn't that lead him to fight criminals the way he does. He's able to accept Batman is really trying to do some good and that he's put a lot of thought into doing that good.

Now Princess society... it doesn't accept that about Beasts. A Beast explains Lessons... Just self-serving nonsense. A Beast has to feed on fear or a terrible fear monster will run amuck? Stop or we'll hurt you. Now individual Princesses can certainly buck that trend, but the rest of their society is not going to accept it and is going to pressure the ones who do accept Beasts for what they are to conform.

Comment

Why wouldn't Princess society accept that a Beast is trying to do some good? A Beast's lessons is self-serving, but it's self-serving in a potentially good way from the outside perspective of other things that can appreciate the damage Beasts are capable of doing.

The whole "stop or we'll hurt you" is self-serving non-sense too. It just presumes that Princesses only response to Beasts will be to come up with justifications to kill them just for existing. Beasts can't stop (or they die), they can only try to direct the harm they cause in some productive fashion (or help other supernaturals cause harm to people). This is like telling a vampire that subsists off of bagged blood to stop because blood bags are important to medical practice... but that only leaves the vampire the option of feeding off people with the inherent risk of losing control and doing serious if not fatal harm. It's not "accepting Beasts for what they are," it's just a predicate for justifying killing them off.

Comment

I've done my time on this subject.

There's a whole lot more nuance that has come up since then, but I'd honestly rather translate that into other things.

Comment

Also, Princess society is...like, 60 percent "we grouped up for safety and effectiveness in numbers", 20 percent "Actual Internet Memes", and the final 20 is faint memories of The Kingdom+shared dreamlands. Probably has less organization or hard "rules" then Werewolf Tribes.

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
                        I read the Princess core book and loved all of it, I’m wondering about the a crossover game between them.

Or more likely a story idea or even Fan-fiction I could write. Cause no one I know play TTRPGs)That will probably include weird NSFW stuff,
                        There are several Story Hook idea threads scattered across these forums. My advise is to go through them, jot down those you like (and elements of those you partially (dis)like), and then try weaving those together into a possible story, adding your own ideas, modifications, alterations and so on, and doing the same thing with removals and changes, until you’ve come up with a story. Or at least the Premise for one that you can use as a springboard.

Note, however, that I’m still working on my first fanfic and my only experience with tabletop rpgs is a couple attempts at a single module that didn’t make it that far into the first session due to both the idiocy of my brothers and their inability to take anything with an actual amount of proper seriousness. And I’m a low-level(-ish) Autistic. What I’m saying is, is that you should take my advice with a pinch or two of salt.

Comment

I feel like one of the main things to play around with is the relationship (real or perceived by people in-universe) between the Darkness and the Dark Mother.

Comment

Originally posted by Voytek View Post
                            I feel like one of the main things to play around with is the relationship (real or perceived by people in-universe) between the Darkness and the Dark Mother.

I remeber reading somewhere on either these forums or RPGnet Forums that one possible view that Beasts could have on the Darkness was of an Insatiable that somehow managed to acquire a truly massive Lair.

Another antagonistic stance that Begotten could take (that I just came up with), is that the Darkness doesn't teach anyone any actual lessons, and thusly goes against the Dark Mother's wishes.

Of course, these are just two possible ideas of how this relationship could be fashioned. It all comes down to you, Konradleijon, and how you want your story to play out.

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                            Why wouldn't Princess society accept that a Beast is trying to do some good? A Beast's lessons is self-serving, but it's self-serving in a potentially good way from the outside perspective of other things that can appreciate the damage Beasts are capable of doing.
                            I agree, on the stipulation that a Noble would have to be able to appreciate just what would happen if a Begotten's Horror went unfed for too long (as in, long enough to reach satiety 0). At least, via their Lessons, Beasts can at least try to limit the harm they do in a way that's at least somewhat constructive.

Comment

Or just listen to the Beast when it tries to explain itself enough to decide to watch it rather than kill it.

It's super easy for most Beasts to demonstrate that they're holding back, and they have access to lots of bonuses to at least have a chance to get a few sentences in even with a different supernatural that's inclined negatively towards them.

Comment

Working...
                              X