Fear of Sickness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear of Sickness

I do not know how it is in your countries, but in Poland we have starts of epidemic panic from coronavirus COVID-19 from Wuhan. ( Even when we do not have official cases of disease. )

It made me wonder - What Family would represent best fear of epidemic or sickness? Namtaru maybe?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    I do not know how it is in your countries, but in Poland we have starts of epidemic panic from coronavirus COVID-19 from Wuhan. ( Even when we do not have official cases of disease. )

It made me wonder - What Family would represent best fear of epidemic or sickness? Namtaru maybe?
    It would depend on what aspect of the fear of sickness you're talking about. An invisible power which strikes you down for unknown reasons (i.e. how disease was construed for 90% of human history) has some Ugallu vibes to it. The sheer visceral hideousness of the ways disease can kill you and the realization that That could be me is very Namtaru. A force against which no strength of arms or body or spiritual purity can prevail is Anakim. Something which lurks amongst us in healthy carriers but can turn nasty in a day or less is, obviously, rather Inguma.
    Last edited by ajf115; 03-01-2020, 06:23 AM.

Comment

I agree with Namtaru, their Atavism affinity spoke a lot about.
      I am in Italy, and the fear is coupled with fear of the Other...

Comment

The fear of the Other feels very correct way to represent the paranoia from plagues- suddenly, everyone could be a threat. You can trust no one, touch no one. Any person could be an enemy- suddenly, you are surrounded by monsters. Even your family and friends could bring death upon you, or you could bring it upon them. Every stranger is a threat, and you are left all alone in the middle of the crowd.

But that's only one side of a plague- the other side is the fear of being consumed from the inside, or having your body turning against you, being helpless as you are getting eaten and corrupted by whatever made your body into its home. I think that Namtaru somewhat covers that angle, but I can't say I'm sure to which level.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

For some reason, I also think of Makara - true, the whole ocean- and depths-schtick doesn't fit here, but I have always felt that this aquatic theme is a bit more restrictive than the other families' themes and don't consider it an absolute must-have: whether you drown in an actual ocean or suffocate on quicksand in a desert (an 'ocean of sand') doesn't really make much difference to the Family, what matters is a sense of depth, or rather, being our of your depth. And falling victim to disease seems rather similar to falling victim to the forces of nature to me. It feels like a better fit than Anakim, at least.

But yeah, fear of sickness generally would be Namtaru to me - I mean, they even have an Atavism for it: Plague Bearer.
          Inguma is a suprisingly good fit for the paranoia accompanying an epidemic, though.

Comment

feel like Namtaru fit it just fine in terms of "can this be a family". Revulsion is heavily linked that which is gross and just seemingly unnatural, whith a feeling of "I cant end up like that". all of these are tied into sickness. and while is IS natural, sickness is SEEMINGLY not natural as it twists your body

Comment

Disease as a focus seems more of a Sin-eater thing. In terms of Beasts, any of them could realistically apply concepts of disease. Obviously disease can be a thing of Nightmares, but a player could easily define the effect of some Atavisms in terms of disease.

Comment

Originally posted by The Throne View Post
                I agree with Namtaru, their Atavism affinity spoke a lot about.
                I am in Italy, and the fear is coupled with fear of the Other...
                Italian too, in our country people are living it very "inguma"...

Comment

Germany seems to have been hit by a "Fear Is Contagious"-buffed "The Water Won't Last forever". People likely do more harm with their frantic stockpiling than the sickness itself will.
                  Which does sound like there's a Lesson in there, somewhere...

So yeah, whichever Family, they're likely to sport that particular Nightmare in combination with Plague Bearer.

Comment

By the way, reading dark eras companion setting about black plague, the soulless and the damned, it seems to me that despite six century of cultural and scientific evolution people behaviour during this kind of crisis hasn t changed too much.
                    Speaking about lessons...

Comment

And mentioning it, Black Death hit Europe in 13th century - but first it hit Byzantine Empire in 6th till 8th century, called the Justinian Plauge. And yes, people do not change their behavior since all that time. Justinian Plauge is canon event of Contagion that created God ( and Gods ) fearing Jeremiad Sworn - and we have topic about this and other Outbreaks here - http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...igins-of-sworn

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                      LGBT+ through Ages
                      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

So in Poland we have official part-quarantine now - closed are schools, preschools, public bathhouses, theaters and cinemas. Parents are staying with their children in home. Some work spaces also are closed. My partners private English school is closed so he has forced vacations. ( And I have planed before two weeks one. ) Today we were buying groceries and lines were enormous ( like 3-4 times larger than normal ) and on the length of whole supermarket.

It came to me we are like in some 'pre-post apo' state as society. Shalves in stores are starting to be empty. People are hoarding resources, staying in homes, limiting contacts. What kind of Family fears would that be?
                        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-12-2020, 01:04 PM.

LGBT+ through Ages
                        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I see a link to Talasii : Nightmare of Confinement.

Comment

Working...
                          X