Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Rules Hack] Legends Never Die

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Rules Hack] Legends Never Die

    Once per Story, if the Beast has their Health completely filled with Aggravated damage or is otherwise neutralized in a terminal fashion, he can sacrifice a Willpower Dot to cheat death by sending his Horror back to the Primordial Dream. The Horror spends some time in the form of a quasi-Unfettered (BTP Core, Page 234) and recuperating, but retains the memories and overall identity associated with its host. Once every [11- Lair] weeks, the Beast can make a roll to Inflict Nightmares [BTP Core, Page 99]. Since the Horror is but a shade at this point, there is no Satiety meter. Instead, every 5 Satiety it gains this way can be spent to heal 1 Aggravated damage. This is shortened to days if the Beast's Broodmates or Kin make a collaborative and methodical effort to keep the memory of his Legend going strong.

    What this entails varies between Broods, but could involve the creation of an effigy of the Horror, which must be placed in a location with Lair Resonance for the deceased Beast. The Broodmates must swear oaths of loyalty every single day around the effigy, from midnight to the first hour of the morning. Not only that, whenever a Broodmate successfully Feeds their Hunger, one point of Satiety is transferred to the effigy, which ever so slowly begins to twitch and whisper until the Horror fuses with it and the fallen Beast is resurrected. This process may be bypassed entirely via the "Restore The Heart" Obcasus Rite [BTP Player's Guide, Page 109]. However, while this is certainly much faster, it's not a true resurrection, just an approximation of the deceased Beast. If a Beast is killed by a Hero, no method of resurrection works on him at all, period.

    If the deceased Beast has a Cult, they can join whatever rite of resurrection is selected to further quicken the process by giving dice tricks to the roll for Inflicting Nightmares. The quickening is proportional to the number of Cultists: dozens give 9 Again, hundreds give 8 Again and thousands give Rote Quality.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 04-13-2020, 12:08 AM.


    Let Him Speak.

  • #2
    I like this. I always felt like the legend a beast builds for himself should be able to perpetuate a sorta immortality for him

    Comment


    • #3
      May I use this, in my own games? I love how it's "resurrection, kinda".

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
        May I use this, in my own games? I love how it's "resurrection, kinda".
        Go right ahead! That makes me very happy. Do send me a PM so I can know how it went.


        Let Him Speak.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
          May I use this, in my own games? I love how it's "resurrection, kinda".
          Maybe you could share the resultant train wreck with us on an Actual Play thread like they do in the Demon: The Descent Sub-Thread.

          Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
          I like this. I always felt like the legend a beast builds for himself should be able to perpetuate a sorta immortality for him
          I agree! As they say "Heroes always get remembered, But you know legends never die". And with all figures of speech, there's some wisdom in that. So why not make it a bit more literal, as far as the Begotten are concerned? It could also be used as part of a Plot Hook...... I think I'm getting the beginnings of an Idea!

          Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
          Once per Story, if the Beast has their Health completely filled with Aggravated damage or is otherwise neutralized in a terminal fashion, he can sacrifice a Willpower Dot to cheat death by sending his Horror back to the Primordial Dream. The Horror spends some time in the form of a quasi-Unfettered (BTP Core, Page 234) and recuperating, but retains the memories and overall identity associated with its host. Once every [11- Lair] weeks, the Beast can make a roll to Inflict Nightmares [BTP Core, Page 99]. Since the Horror is but a shade at this point, there is no Satiety meter. Instead, every 5 Satiety it gains this way can be spent to heal 1 Aggravated damage. This is shortened to days if the Beast's Broodmates or Kin make a collaborative and methodical effort to keep the memory of his Legend going strong.
          This inspires a number of questions that I feel compelled to give my own answers for.

          1) What about the Lair of the Beast in question? My answer is that it becomes a 'tamer' version of itself. As in a nightmarish Circus/Fairground simply becomes rundown and abandoned.

          2) What form(s) are such Beasts able to take, since they're now body-less (no matter how they're in such a state), if they're even capable of leaving their body? My response is that a Beast in such a state can leave their body and they can assume their human and Horror forms both, along with in-between 'hybrid' forms for both, kinda like a Leviathan's Depths.

          3) If the Beast has the Stalking Ground or Hunting Ground Lair Traits, are they capable of Manifesting at resonant locations? As far as I'm concerned, yes, albeit not physically. This, of course, means that they're more capable of inflicting nightmares since they'll be able to accurately apply them with far greater accuracy. And they still have the form-changing capabilities mentioned in the previous question.

          Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
          What this entails varies between Broods, but could involve the creation of an effigy of the Horror, which must be placed in a location with Lair Resonance for the deceased Beast. The Broodmates must swear oaths of loyalty every single day around the effigy, from midnight to the first hour of the morning. Not only that, whenever a Broodmate successfully Feeds their Hunger, one point of Satiety is transferred to the effigy, which ever so slowly begins to twitch and whisper until the Horror fuses with it and the fallen Beast is resurrected. This process may be bypassed entirely via the "Restore The Heart" Obcasus Rite [BTP Player's Guide, Page 109]. However, while this is certainly much faster, it's not a true resurrection, just an approximation of the deceased Beast. If a Beast is killed by a Hero, no method of resurrection works on him at all, period.
          Another could be maintaining the performance of various rituals performed by the Begotten's chosen community, in the case of a Totemic Beast. Or maintaining their workshop if the Child was a Primordial Sorcerer.

          Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
          If the deceased Beast has a Cult, they can join whatever rite of resurrection is selected to further quicken the process by giving dice tricks to the roll for Inflicting Nightmares. The quickening is proportional to the number of Cultists: dozens give 9 Again, hundreds give 8 Again and thousands give Rote Quality.
          This is definitely interesting. And could easily be considered 'In-Character' if the Cult was particularly Devout/Loyal to the Beast.


          Comment

          Working...
          X