Religious Beast; Begotten Worship of the Dark Mother

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religious Beast; Begotten Worship of the Dark Mother

Just hear me out please; so, I was listening to the quotes of Illaoi in her part of the LoL Wiki (because 1. I don't have the game, 2. I like listening to them and 3. why the heck not?) and I thought to myself "[TerrorCooper], you mad bugger, these lines seem akin to what might be said by a Begotten who worships the Dark Mother as a Deity/Goddess. What say you to us sharing this with our fellow fans of the gameline?" My response was a simple "Then what the hell are we waiting for?" and I hauled ass over to here to share this revelation. Anyways, in essence here's what I'm thinking; how would each of you play/run (depending on if you were a player or StoryTeller respectively) such a character? A casual worshipper (think the average Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, etc on the street) who hasen't developed their beliefs all that much beyond what the Children usually say about the DM? A Zelous/Fanatical Fanatic/Zealot with a complex belief system? Somewhere in between? And do they have followers, be thay fellow Beasts of a similar(-ish) mindset, Cultists inducted in by some Rite of Passage, or some combination thereof?
    I'd like to note that the only views I hold towards religion that are even vaguely negative is towards those of cloth who would try and twist, warp, and otherwise distort their religion's/belief system's teachings to justify things like abuse, torture, rape, murder and other such atrocities when said teachings actually discourage it.

A Beast's relationship with the Dark Mother runs the gamut of religiosity from apathy towards her to utter devotion transformed into building a full on cult to her (fortunately the Beast Players Guide has us covered for ways to implement things for more devoted Beasts).

As a player, I'd do whatever felt right for the character (currently: doesn't give a shit about the Dark Mother as deity, only as a story to explain the way of the world).

As a ST, I'd generally try to represent the range of possibilities as suits the needs of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by TerrorCooper View Post
      Just hear me out please; so, I was listening to the quotes of Illaoi in her part of the LoL Wiki (because 1. I don't have the game, 2. I like listening to them and 3. why the heck not?) and I thought to myself "[TerrorCooper], you mad bugger, these lines seem akin to what might be said by a Begotten who worships the Dark Mother as a Deity/Goddess. What say you to us sharing this with our fellow fans of the gameline?" My response was a simple "Then what the hell are we waiting for?" and I hauled ass over to here to share this revelation. Anyways, in essence here's what I'm thinking; how would each of you play/run (depending on if you were a player or StoryTeller respectively) such a character? A casual worshipper (think the average Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, etc on the street) who hasen't developed their beliefs all that much beyond what the Children usually say about the DM? A Zelous/Fanatical Fanatic/Zealot with a complex belief system? Somewhere in between? And do they have followers, be thay fellow Beasts of a similar(-ish) mindset, Cultists inducted in by some Rite of Passage, or some combination thereof?
      I'd like to note that the only views I hold towards religion that are even vaguely negative is towards those of cloth who would try and twist, warp, and otherwise distort their religion's/belief system's teachings to justify things like abuse, torture, rape, murder and other such atrocities when said teachings actually discourage it.

I've had Beast characters who run the gamut from 'doesn't care' to 'fanatical worshipper' and everything in-between. All are fun, all work. I have yet to do the 'deluded, hypocritical priest' type, though. Could be fun to try out on an antagonist.

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Darkness View Post
        I've had Beast characters who run the gamut from 'doesn't care' to 'fanatical worshipper' and everything in-between. All are fun, all work. I have yet to do the 'deluded, hypocritical priest' type, though. Could be fun to try out on an antagonist.
        Care to gift us with a couple of quotes said by the Begotten of a more theological bent? I’ve got an idea for a B:TP character who’s similar to Illaoi of LoL, but I’ve yet to fully coalesce their personality, at least mentally, and I feel the quotes might give me, and others, some inspiration.

Also, that priest comment indicates that you’ve run (or at least encountered) priests who were either delusional or hypocritical, but not both.

And one last thing; if anyone wants to share particularly awesome, badass, hilarious, stupid and/or otherwise interesting stories involving Beasts with a theistic view and approach towards the Dark Mother, then do so by all means.

Comment

"Some people don't have in themselves to do the right thing, what is necessary, to grow and change. Fortunately, Mother knows how to motivate them."
          Unfamiliar with LoL but I did have a subtle worshipper of the Dark Mother as a character. Took awhile for people to twig that she wasn't talking about herself...around the time they had to help with a sacrificial Rite.

"Mother always knows."
          "All motivation begins as fear. Fear of loss, of weakness, of death, of being unworthy...you aren't unloved child, Mother will always love you. She's just disappointed you aren't trying to be more."
          "There is a reason to be afraid. Mother made sure of that."
          "Choices are important, you can't put them off forever. Mother won't let you."
          "Mother has you."
          "Be a good boy for Mother dear, and remind them of the truth they are trying to forget."
          "Mother won't save you dearie, she wants you to do it yourself."
          "Mother knows you're sacred little one. It makes her happy."
          "Mother isn't angry...just disappointed."
          "Mother doesn't love you because you are strong. She just can't forgive weakness."

That last one I thought would give the game away, but nope.

"This will end in blood. Either way, Mother will be pleased."

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
            "Some people don't have in themselves to do the right thing, what is necessary, to grow and change. Fortunately, Mother knows how to motivate them."
            Unfamiliar with LoL but I did have a subtle worshipper of the Dark Mother as a character. Took awhile for people to twig that she wasn't talking about herself...around the time they had to help with a sacrificial Rite.

LoL is a MOBA game set in the world of Runeterra. One of Its main sticking points is the sheer number of Champions (playable characters) and their variety, meaning theres always something for you. And I'm guessing that the rest of the Brood/Toupe had quite the WTF?! moment when they realised what your character was talking about.

"Mother always knows."
            "All motivation begins as fear. Fear of loss, of weakness, of death, of being unworthy...you aren't unloved child, Mother will always love you. She's just disappointed you aren't trying to be more."
            "There is a reason to be afraid. Mother made sure of that."
            "Choices are important, you can't put them off forever. Mother won't let you."
            "Mother has you."
            "Be a good boy for Mother dear, and remind them of the truth they are trying to forget."
            "Mother won't save you dearie, she wants you to do it yourself."
            "Mother knows you're sacred little one. It makes her happy."
            "Mother isn't angry...just disappointed."
            "Mother doesn't love you because you are strong. She just can't forgive weakness."

ooohoohohooh, these gave me chills! They sound just like Illaoi in my head!

That last one I thought would give the game away, but nope.

"This will end in blood. Either way, Mother will be pleased."
            Yeah, I'd have definitely gotten clued in that your character wasn't speaking of herself. Or at least that something was up. And that last quote is AWESOME!

Comment

I take most of inspirations for religious Beasts from new Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - this Netflix series is about witches coven worshiping Satan as Father Figure and the leader of fear. Just change it to mother figure in your mind and you have dozens of inspirations for Dark Mother worship and Begotten society! We have whole topic on interpretation of CAoS as Beast chronicle.
              / Small spoiler - Later, coven turns even to direct worship of Hecate, that is one of tittles for Dark Mother. /

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
              X