Whiskey, Gin, and Teeth-Arcane Wrote Some Things

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    And doing poorly, from what little I have looked at it while banging my head on Clade Companion.
    Define poorly. It seems well reasoned and I've been a tad busy to respond to it, so what metric do you use to determine such a thing?

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

So nerds, I've been writing here and there, but today has a big ol' writing itch AND the room for it, so I imagine it's time for some conversation stirring.

Only problem is that I have a lot of interests and poor decision making on some days, so for the portion of the day I'm spending on games, I'mma leave it up to public consideration:

a) Heroic Lairs
      b) Chapter 1 of the Core Review (which will dig into how I think about Hungers going forward)
      c) Another Family and Forsworn, which if so, c1)which Family/Forsworn?

No promises that I don't also fuck off to finally catch up on Castlevania, She-Ra, Vivy, Fruits Basket, or Villianness, but since the itch is strong, direction would help.
      Last edited by ArcaneArts; 07-18-2021, 04:56 PM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Somewhere between
        A) Heroic Lairs (maybe they’re called Halls or something. Hall of Heroes.)
        C1) Namtaru versus Immortals(?)

MtAw Homebrew:
        Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
        New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
          A) Heroic Lairs (maybe they’re called Halls or something. Hall of Heroes.)
          Worth noting:

No, as far as I'm concerned, it's Lair. This is a game about Build Your Lair, it's a game about the consequences of Building Your Lair, it's about the consequences of Losing Your Lair, it's Lair.

Heroes primarily get away with it by not really thinking about it and having those who do not do that neccesarily thinking Beasts are completely full of shit-but mostly, it's a thematic thing and keeping people on point. Heroes who think about it as Lair do so because they take their cues from the Beasts and the Insatiable, and those who don't mostly don't because they haven't quite put two and two together. A rare few might call it something else, but most Heroes recognizng Lair need bigger answer than mere discomfort might discourage.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Oh, I just thought that the “haven’t quite put the two together” and the “rare few” would be the majority. Never mind then!

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Oh, I just thought that the “haven’t quite put the two together” and the “rare few” would be the majority. Never mind then!
              TO be fair, I haven't quite settled on Heroes dealing with their own heroism yet. I keep with them not quiterealizing they are Heroes because [current canon], and I think there's this interesting space of Heroes on the cusp of getting it but aren't quite there yet, but nothing I would slap a hog in the face with, if you know what I'm saying.

If you do know what I'm saying, please explain it back to me, because sometimes things just slip out of my mouth regardless of my intent.

Comment

Mmm, have you ever referred to Heroic Lairs somewhere else? Because I suspect there’s some context I’m missing here.

My train of thought from the above post to which I replied was:
                “Oh, so some Heroes can develop Lairs like Beasts do, by exploring their own Legend. Cool.”
                “But would that be the same thing as a Beast’s Lair?”
                “They are the same? Okay. Not so different, Heroes and Beasts (chuckles).”
                “Wait, so then these Lairs grow via shock and trauma and Legend too? Heroes who cultivate their Lairs would’ve realized that…”
                “Would a typical Hero even realize that, though?”
                “Hey, cognitive dissonance is a thing. Most of them’ll probably call it by some other name to sleep good at night.”
                “… Most of them would, right?”

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Mmm, have you ever referred to Heroic Lairs somewhere else? Because I suspect there’s some context I’m missing here.

My train of thought from the above post to which I replied was:
                  “Oh, so some Heroes can develop Lairs like Beasts do, by exploring their own Legend. Cool.”
                  “But would that be the same thing as a Beast’s Lair?”
                  “They are the same? Okay. Not so different, Heroes and Beasts (chuckles).”
                  “Wait, so then these Lairs grow via shock and trauma and Legend too? Heroes who cultivate their Lairs would’ve realized that…”
                  “Would a typical Hero even realize that, though?”
                  “Hey, cognitive dissonance is a thing. Most of them’ll probably call it by some other name to sleep good at night.”
                  “… Most of them would, right?”
                  So, If Arcane had her way:

-Heroes would have Lair and Satiety
                  -Heroes also have Hunger
                  -Heroes would still have Gifts instead of Atavisms and Nightmares
                  -Heroic Lair and Satiety would do different things from Beastial and Insatiable Lair and Satiety
                  -Forswearing would be a big factor in Heroic Lair because [redacted because if I share too much it basically can't be made into a book]
                  -All of these things (and more) would be universally loved and help elevate Beast from Trash Fire Game to It Was a Game That One Time in the eyes of the public.

There IS stuff beyond that, but, like, I need to nail motherfuckers to the board, stupid mothy bastards. Heroic self-awareness is very much one of those stupid mothy bastards.
                  Last edited by ArcaneArts; 07-19-2021, 01:41 AM.

Comment

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but a thought occurred to me as I was reading your recent Families and Forsworn essays. I was trying to dive into self-healing jello to reach a pile of coins at the bottom. I kept pushing my mind down into it, loving the experience, but it pushed back against me, exhausting me and preventing me from getting to the coins. More than once I would grab an insight I could verbalize from the jello, a coin or two that didn't slip through my fingers. But I didn't have the strength to just engulf the pile in my hands. Or perhaps, I did not know the secret routes where the matrix was weakest.

EDIT: My mind said "this sounds like something like you were talking about in your Makara essay", but I can't figure out whether it's the Forsworn or Beast experience of the fear of the depths. Maybe it was the Enlightened response, which I haven't read yet, but what was discussed in the Makara thread feels like some of my own "boxes are neat and comfy" foibles.

To get to the point of my overwrought simile/homage to your essay style, I was wondering if you would like to put together a summer reading list for the forum. I have a theory that if did my own reading through your non-fiction inspirations, and perhaps some of your novel ones, I might get more out of your essays. Right now, I ...feel a wisdom from them, but I can't articulate why largely.
                    Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 07-31-2021, 06:18 PM.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                      I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but a thought occurred to me as I was reading your recent Families and Forsworn essays. I was trying to dive into self-healing jello to reach a pile of coins at the bottom. I kept pushing my mind down into it, loving the experience, but it pushed back against me, exhausting me and preventing me from getting to the coins. More than once I would grab an insight I could verbalize from the jello, a coin or two that didn't slip through my fingers. But I didn't have the strength to just engulf the pile in my hands. Or perhaps, I did not know the secret routes where the matrix was weakest.

EDIT: My mind said "this sounds like something like you were talking about in your Makara essay", but I can't figure out whether it's the Forsworn or Beast experience of the fear of the depths. Maybe it was the Enlightened response, which I haven't read yet, but what was discussed in the Makara thread feels like some of my own "boxes are neat and comfy" foibles.

To get to the point of my overwrought simile/homage to your essay style, I was wondering if you would like to put together a summer reading list for the forum. I have a theory that if did my own reading through your non-fiction inspirations, and perhaps some of your novel ones, I might get more out of your essays. Right now, I ...feel a wisdom from them, but I can't articulate why largely.
                      Uh, off the top of my head?

The Monogatari franchise, The Persona franchise, Holic, Nightmare Inspector, King of Bandit Jing, Pet Shop of Horror, Alice 19th, Madoka Magica with as much information on the witches as possible, Flip Flappers, Wonder Egg Priority (Don't watch the finale, it ruined the whole damn thing, just stop on episode 12 and accept WEP has no ending), Shamanic Princess, Shuago Chara season 1, certain episodes of Sailor Moon-actually, a lot of magical girls shows do a good job of drawing lines between monsters and the fears and anxieties of the individual who spawned them, and psychological worlds where they might lair.

Taking a break from anime and manga, The Heroine's Journey from Maurleen Murdock, and On Monster's: An Unnatural History of Our Worst Fears by Stephen Asma, and, you know what, Erik Davis's Techgnosis is actually shockingly more related to this than you'd think.

Oh, also Fruit's Basket.

Also Psychonauts.

And Max Payne.

And Alan Wake. Remedy games in general, actually.

Also so obvious I nearly forgot it, the works of Freud, Jung, Lacan-modern psychoanalysis is much better to study, but the originals are much more accessible and have some deep roots in psychological storytelling. Jung's theories on Individuation, the persona and the shadow, and the archetypes in particular matter a lot.

Also Albert Camus's The Myth of Sisyphus.
                      Last edited by ArcaneArts; 08-03-2021, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X