Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Automata Family

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Automata Family

    This is what I came up with for a fanmade Family called the Automata. Hope you enjoy!

    ***

    Where do we start? With the origin of the Automata Family. Yes, this Family has a specific origin.
    Some time ago (not very long ago, probably after the Cold War) an Unchained sought an audience with the Dark Mother. For better or worse, it got one. The specifics of what the Unchained was looking for are unknown, but in general it desired a place safe from the God-Machine. And again, for better or worse, it got one, permanently.
    The Unchained was cast into the Primordial Dream which is where it exists still, though what form, no one knows. The first thing that this moment caused was that a tremor of no known origin rippled all the way through the Primordial Dream.
    The Primordial Dream, upon feeling this foreign element cast into it by the hand of the ancient goddess that ruled it, created a new Family, using the foreign element as the blueprint.
    And this was the Automata Family born.

    Most of this isn't actually necessary & this or any other origin story doesn't have to be accurate. What is important is that it touches on aspects core to the identity of the Automata Family. 1# that it is young. 2# that it has a connection to the Unchained.

    Now, the fear. Whereas, the Anakim is Powerlessness, the Ugallu is Exposure, & the Eshmaki is Darkness, the Automata is Technology. In fact, the fear came before the Family's name.

    The Horror of a Automata tends towards being mechanical, this however, appears to be the only common denominator.

    The Lair & Lair Traits. I see the Lair of an Automata as being emotionally cold, with omnipresent yet dim lighting, & a sense of unsettling uniformity despite no every room being unique. That said, it could go other ways. The Lair could be a junkyard full of broken down tech from the past or a series bright & cheerful of streets lit by billboards & neon lights. The possibilities are fairly broad the only real requirement is a sense of artificiality right throughout. As for Lair Traits, I say whatever makes sense.

    With Atavisms & Birthrights, I say the same thing I said with Lair Traits, whatever makes sense. To help with ideas, consider the abilities of the Unchained. They speak every language & are unparalleled liars. They make demonic deals for pieces of people's lives & use these to build Covers. They have powers called Embeds & Exploits.

    On Nightmares, it has been noticed that You Are Not Alone seems very common among the Family. Beyond that, the variation is great.

    Finally, consider that the Family was born of an Unchained. The Begotten of this Family could pick up secrets that the Unchained knew or maybe the God-Machine glitches, mistaking you for that very Unchained. It might be worth it to acknowledge that connection to get ideas for story hooks.
    Last edited by Krat05; 09-10-2020, 04:18 AM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Krat05 View Post
    This is what I came up with for a fanmade Family called the Automata. Hope you enjoy!

    ***

    Where do we start? With the origin of the Automata Family. Yes, this Family has a specific origin.
    Some time ago (not very long ago, probably after the Cold War) an Unchained sought an audience with the Dark Mother. For better or worse, it got one. The specifics of what the Unchained was looking for are unknown, but in general it desired a place safe from the God-Machine. And again, for better or worse, it got one, permanently.
    The Unchained was cast into the Primordial Dream which is where it exists still, though what form, no one knows. The first thing that this moment caused was that a tremor of no known origin rippled all the way through the Primordial Dream.
    The Primordial Dream, upon feeling this foreign element cast into it by the hand of the ancient goddess that ruled it, created a new Family, using the foreign element as the blueprint.
    And this was the Automata Family born.

    Most of this isn't actually necessary & this or any other origin story doesn't have to be accurate. What is important is that it touches on aspects core to the identity of the Automata Family. 1# that it is young. 2# that it has a connection to the Unchained.

    Now, the fear. Whereas, the Anakim is Powerlessness, the Ugallu is Exposure, & the Eshmaki is Darkness, the Automata is Technology. In fact, the fear came before the Family's name.

    The Horror of a Automata tends towards being mechanical, this however, appears to be the only common denominator.

    The Lair & Lair Traits. I see the Lair of an Automata as being emotionally cold, with omnipresent yet dim lighting, & a sense of unsettling uniformity despite no every room being unique. That said, it could go other ways. The Lair could be a junkyard full of broken down tech from the past or a series bright & cheerful of streets lit by billboards & neon lights. The possibilities are fairly broad the only real requirement is a sense of artificiality right throughout. As for Lair Traits, I say whatever makes sense.

    With Atavisms & Birthrights, I say the same thing I said with Lair Traits, whatever makes sense. To help with ideas, consider the abilities of the Unchained. They speak every language & are unparalleled liars. They make demonic deals for pieces of people's lives & use these to build Covers. They have powers called Embeds & Exploits.

    On Nightmares, it has been noticed that You Are Not Alone seems very common among the Family. Beyond that, the variation is great.

    Finally, consider that the Family was born of an Unchained. The Begotten of this Family could pick up secrets that the Unchained knew or maybe the God-Machine glitches, mistaking you for that very Unchained. It might be worth it to acknowledge that connection to get ideas for story hooks.
    It reminds me of one of the Vector in the contagion chronicle, where normal Beast's familiar links are replaced with ones to the infected and the god machine

    Comment


    • #3
      about the contagion chronicles, i have to say it had some bad luck. i mean they make a game about reality being sick and just a little while later a real pandemic happens. that is just rotten luck.

      but on the automata family, i like it. Fear of artifical intelegence, robots and cyborgs is a recent fear, and while i guess you could lump it in with the fear of the other that the Inguma represent (like how i lump in fear of alien abduction and fae abductions), but i love homebrew beast families.

      I would love to see more. like how the hungers play out and character examples.

      also, i cant be the only one who got the idea of a beast of this family with a horror of a Dalek.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think I'd need more convincing of the value of them as their own Family instead of just making tech-themed Horrors from the existing ones. The Inguma are an obvious choice around how fears of technology created AIs that will replaced us, but also the Anakim as Big Brother, the Namtaru as the disgust born of the uncanny valley, and the Talasii as the unease of technology controlling our lives and choices. The Families as supposed to be very deep set fears, and humans don't generally fear technology on a near instinctive level.

        Tying them to Demons is also a bit of a red flag for me. It's not that the idea itself is bad or anything, but from a game-play perspective, one Family getting Kinship bonuses with a group nobody else can (and nobody else getting a similar bonus) isn't really a warranted asymmetry. If you want to house rule Demons as potential Kin, do that.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
          I think I'd need more convincing of the value of them as their own Family instead of just making tech-themed Horrors from the existing ones. The Inguma are an obvious choice around how fears of technology created AIs that will replaced us, but also the Anakim as Big Brother, the Namtaru as the disgust born of the uncanny valley, and the Talasii as the unease of technology controlling our lives and choices. The Families as supposed to be very deep set fears, and humans don't generally fear technology on a near instinctive level.

          Tying them to Demons is also a bit of a red flag for me. It's not that the idea itself is bad or anything, but from a game-play perspective, one Family getting Kinship bonuses with a group nobody else can (and nobody else getting a similar bonus) isn't really a warranted asymmetry. If you want to house rule Demons as potential Kin, do that.
          Small nitpick, I would argue fear of big brother is Ugallu, with Anakim being more fear of tech that has to due with things like WMDs and such

          Comment


          • #6
            I was thinking Ugallu initially because of the obvious "Big Brother is Watching You," being an exposure thing, but I felt that it is, really, less about exposure and more being helpless in the face of technological control. Big Brother is a symbol of how humans have no control in face of the power of the oppressively large political machine.

            But that's sort of the nice thing here... there's no single answer as you can flavor Families pretty flexibly already.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
              I was thinking Ugallu initially because of the obvious "Big Brother is Watching You," being an exposure thing, but I felt that it is, really, less about exposure and more being helpless in the face of technological control. Big Brother is a symbol of how humans have no control in face of the power of the oppressively large political machine.

              But that's sort of the nice thing here... there's no single answer as you can flavor Families pretty flexibly already.
              Very true. Definitely part of the beauty of these being "primordial" fears.

              Anyway. I feel this Family just does not work in that it's directly tied to another supernatural along with it meaning it comes less as a fear born of human fear, but of the union between two supernatural creatures. Not only that but it has the trouble with demon kinship as Heavy Arms has said.

              Comment


              • #8
                Okay, two points to tackle here.

                #1) I get that it doesn't really fit with the other Families, that it's not a truly "primordial" fear. I like that. It paints the Automata being outsiders among the Begotten.

                #2) The Automata Family does not have kinship with Unchained. They are born from one & there is a definite connection, but that connection is not kinship. It something far less tangible than kinship & is likely entirely psychological.

                Wrapping this up, the Automata Family is nothing more than the product of my desire to make a Begotten Family & I like how it's turned out.

                Comment

                Working...
                X