Thunderbirds and other giant birds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbirds and other giant birds

I was wondering what Hungers would be most appropriate for an Ugallu whose Horror is based on the Thunderbird and other such mythological birds?

Depends on how you interpret them.

Going with the phoenix for a second (because as one of the two major monster types I want to play as, I think about phoenixes in Beast a lot), their role as sun symbol ties them to other strong mythological expressions-Power for the sun as the highest celestial body, the pinnacle of divine rule, Punishment for the sun as an icon of law and order, Ruin for when the sun is associated with drought. Hoard is a little weaker, and Prey is the most directly ruled out with the notice that no one knows what a phoenix ate.

For a Thunderbird, depending on the tribe you ask, they most strongly associate with Punishment and then probably Ruin or Prey from there.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Thanks for your insight. Would Power also work for a Thunderbird?
      Last edited by Darklander; 11-27-2020, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Mostly, it depends on the angle you're presenting it from. Storms and birds by themselves have a lot of Power ties across the world, so naturally there are going to be thunderbirds in the Primordial Dream where those meanings and iconography intersect. In this vein, it's often not hard to work with the fluidity of everything and get away with a lot of interesting combinations for mythological elements.

However, if the goal is less creative interpretation and implementation and more sticking to how the various tribes that had thunderbird mythology implemented them, they don't really have a role in building or destroying power that would make them ready Tyrants. Thunderbirds were representative of the various creator gods retributive aspects or as broadly applied forces that buffet and tribulate swaths of the world and that which lives upon it.

So, short version, if you wanna hew closer to 'mythological canon', probably not, if you want to play with dream-logic's quick and dirty associations, absolutely.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

And something I think it's important to stress: the game encourages you to interpret mythological inspirations as you see fit. The Primordial Dream contains vast arrays of Horrors that correspond to mythological creatures that all express that connection differently, because the Primordial Dream and humanity are in a constant conversation with each other.

The choice Arc put forth isn't a preference in how to play the game, its a choice the game asks you to make implicitly and enables your decision without forcing everyone playing to agree to the same point. A group can easily have PCs that are designed to hew very closely to mythology in their inspirations, and ones that take large liberties with it, and they work together just fine (or as fine as any Brood does).

Comment

No, that's very important, thank you Heavy Arms.

Beast is a psychologically driven game that levels natural elements and societal icons from throughout time to express inner truths and expressions. The Image of the Horror (Be it a Thunderbird or a fomor or a hectoncheires) is only as tightly bound or loosely associated with Families and Hungers as the pre-Devouring Beast connects it to their own psychology.

Beast is critically both a game about legacy and personal expressions. It's very much about both honoring, remembering, and embodying the past and chopping up the images and meanings from before and using them to new ends and beings. There's a reason I had a joke about how one thoroughly Nordic-inspried Beast didn't understand why another Beast had a Russian Horror in a Babylonian Lair.

At the end of the day, it's all self writ as world.

Comment

Again, I want to thank you both for your insights.

Comment

Working...
              X