X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TerrorCooper
    replied
    Just three left!

If I remember correctly, this just leaves the Ugallu, Nightmares of Exposure, with the Armored, Foresworn of Exposure, the Inguma, Nightmares of The Other, opposed by the Priests, Foresworn of The Other, and the Talassii, Nightmares of Confinement, against the Libertines, Foresworn of Confinement.

I've also thought up of other names you could ascribe to the Heroes of the remaining Foreswearings; namely, the Shielded, the United and the Unbound respectively. Hey! I never said they were going to be good names, just names that I had thought up.

Still, I'm completely loving these! Maybe you could move onto the Hungers after completing the Families? After taking a suitably long break of course! It'd just be interesting on how you develop them.

Though I can't help but wonder what would happen if seven Beasts (each 'born' to a different family) and seven Heroes (each Foresworn from a different fear) were to wind up all talking and conversing with each other enough to realize all of this, and subsequently decide to team up to help teach these lessons to all they can...

Also, just thought of something; would you and Cinder be willing to start working together with me to try and cobble this 'series' of threads with these four other threads which also try and revamp heroes? I might not be the fastest, or most mentally agile, of folks, but I'm persistent, and willing to try and take things through to the end.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by Leliel View Post
    Honestly, speaking as someone who is vociferously condemnatory of anti-vaxxers as a pro-vaccination Immortal should be...

Yeah, I buy that. The part that makes Immortals dangerous isn't the fact that they're obsessed with being healthy - they're obsessed with what could make them not healthy, and punishing it. This isn't an objectively wrong stance to take, but it is lacking in nuance, and it doesn't allow for "okay, we took all the precautions - and people still got sick, just not as many, because Murphy's Law is an ass." Someone must have failed, and done so intentionally, to that extremity.

Even acknowledging that sometimes, Shit Happens, is a bit more Namtaru than Immortal, because it acknowledges that one has to accept that the fear happens because it's legitimate. You can do everything right, and sometimes, you still get sick. And that doesn't mean you failed.
    I think getting at the heart of this side of Beast is very much "Your fears are valid and you should allow yourself to treat them as such and allow yourself to feel scared"

People lose their form, physically, mentally, and spiritually, for a lot of reasons, and a lot of them are outside of their control. We can't help it if a bee sting leaves half your face melted, some food ends up creating a permanent kink in your brain, or if a particularly bad relationship seemingly cripples the full extent of a person's ability to trust, and a big part of the Namtaru is that you treat these things as they are, and realize that you still have a life and worth regardless of them.

THAT SAID, for as shitty as the Immortals can be when they make it very much "It must be something about you" rather than permitting for just shit luck of the world...sometimes, they've got a point. Sometimes, someone else is making decisions that will cause other people to fail in their form.

Of course, the fact that they reject that their fear of revulsion comes from personal insecurities about the failure of form can quite often mean that the person doing that is them, but don't let them hear you say that.

That said, a small clarification, it isn't strictly about being healthy ,and the Immortal doesn't neccesarily concern themselves with healthiness. It has to do with the loss of form in all it's ways, and that the Immortal does not wither or wilt. THe body being eaten away at is just a very easy metaphor for it.

Leave a comment:

• Leliel
    replied
    Honestly, speaking as someone who is vociferously condemnatory of anti-vaxxers as a pro-vaccination Immortal should be...

Yeah, I buy that. The part that makes Immortals dangerous isn't the fact that they're obsessed with being healthy - they're obsessed with what could make them not healthy, and punishing it. This isn't an objectively wrong stance to take, but it is lacking in nuance, and it doesn't allow for "okay, we took all the precautions - and people still got sick, just not as many, because Murphy's Law is an ass." Someone must have failed, and done so intentionally, to that extremity.

Even acknowledging that sometimes, Shit Happens, is a bit more Namtaru than Immortal, because it acknowledges that one has to accept that the fear happens because it's legitimate. You can do everything right, and sometimes, you still get sick. And that doesn't mean you failed.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Brazier
    replied
    In my experience, people who are naturally healthy don't really think that much about health and sickness, and don't tend to have opinions about those less fortunate than they. They aren't, in a word, like Heroes. The people who can develop real Heroic obsessions of this type are the people who cultivate health - and those are also the ones who regard their health regimens as quasi-religious obligations, preach their merits to everyone, and condemn those who don't follow their rules. (Remember the line "How do you know if someone's vegan? They'll tell you"?) Those people are, unquestionably, motivated by fears of death and decay; they are the obvious counterparts to the Namtaru. People who just don't get sick? They take it for granted, and worry about other things.

In general, obsession is a more fertile ground for Heroic types than complacency. Even the Plain aren't complacent - their whole thing, after all, is preserving a reductive system of thought, by forcing things that don't fit inside it to conform. Someone who holds an absurdly simple view of the world, but doesn't much care about it and is never challenged on it, isn't Plain, just ignorant - the equivalent of someone who is never ill, and takes no pains to stay healthy. A Hero needs to deny the thing they fear, not blithely ignore it.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Soooooooooooooo.

Trigger Warnings, Covid-19.

In the wake of the new Most Collective Traumatic Event in people's lives since......Let's play nice and say 9/11 but honestly you could probably throw a dart at a sooner event-

In the wake of the Covid-19 Hellscape that was the majority of 2020 and still ongoing in 2021 thanks to the Delta Variant, what the fuck are we supposed to think about the Namtaru and the Immortal in this current environment? Someone is asking that question, and someone need answers.

Well, being unduly fair towards them, let's start with the Immortal and the fact they are not who you think they are.

I mean, they are? But they also aren't.

As much as the Immortals are absolutely the assholes who don't think that the plague was a real thing and refused to wear masks and get vaccinated because it's all a governmental conspiracy yo....they're also just as much the ones who vehemently did wear masks, keep distance, got vaccinated, and keep alert.

The Immortal is born from the idea that the things that inspire revulsion can never actually affect them, but that can come from a lot of different places. One Immortal eats healthy, exercises frequently without overdoing it, and generally stays on tops of their mental and physical health. Another one thinks the former is working too hard at it and just needs to enjoy life at their own pace in their own way. Neither one is not Immortal, because what makes an Immortal is the belief that failure of form(mental or physical) will never be a factor in their life.

In this way, one Immortal believes themselves Immortal because they DO get vaccinated, do follow governmental guidelines at all times, and generally try to stay on top of responding to a world-wide plague the way they're supposed to. Another Immortal believes themselves Immortal because they just don't think they have to bother with all of that- and honestly, they don't see why anyone else would either since being themselves works out so well for them, and if people are insisting otherwise, it's because they're trying to get to them.

And, without getting political about it (if you saw the original version of this post, I bet you had fun)-like, it's not invalid to think some people are responsible for you getting sick, but the Namtaru are valuable in recognizing that's not always the case, and more importantly that regardless of where it came from, you and yours still have a life to live after the plague, whatever form that might take. And the truth lies in the middle-live regardless, but take fuckers to task.
    Last edited by ArcaneArts; 07-19-2021, 01:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X