No announcement yet.

I Of The Storm-Test Case: Heroic Lair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to point out some untapped potential I see in this approach.

1) The way Forsworn affect causality around them and Insatiable Schizm can be combined into a unified system. The former would drive Heroic narratives, and the latter would drive nihilistic ones. Not only that, Beasts could be bootstrapped into that system. Each group would interact with it in a different manner, and deciding the exact mechanics would require care. Still, they would be in a three-way battle for the subcosciousness of humanity, and perhaps that of other monsters. Some canny Mortal occultists could get in on the fun, too. I entertained a similar though before, where nature of the Apex would affect odds of certain events within it's Hive. For instance, a spiteful Ravager makes publically destroying works of art an extra Vice for the inhabitants, but hurting anyone with visible burn marks is always at -2 dice. A different approach would be that Beasts carry dooms that can only be altered or avoided by challenging the system and changing their public perception.

2) With the entirety of the Bright Dream to play with, I think that limiting becoming Forsworn to realm of Heroism is not the way. Since Heroes must search the Temenos to find tools to destroy their Horrors, they can actualize in any place imaginable. They can find their weapon in their favorite movie, realm of finance, reflection of their school... The examples go for ever. Each Forsworn would be colored by the realm they've slain their Horror in. Within it, there would be their Lair/Stronghold/Happy-Place, like an apartment in Mr. Roger's neighborhood, with the Horror's mounted head over the fireplace. That approach would encourage Beast to roam the Bright Dream to find intel against their enemies.

~

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
      Ok,just had to get the reference out of the way.
      Do Beasts and Heroes sense each other?
      ​While I can't speak for ArcaneArts, I'd say that they can sense each other, at least to a degree, and in a sort-of 'By Proxy' manner.

Basically? They don't sense each other directly, but by how the Primordial Dream 'distorts' in their general vicinity (such being larger the more powerful they are).

Comment

i was curious, in those amazing revisions of the game,will it still be possible to take any mythological/folklorical critter and protagonist and making them a Beast or Hero?

Comment

Ok,just had to get the reference out of the way.
          Do Beasts and Heroes sense each other?
          Not directly. Heroes still have Heroic Tracking and Stalking, of course, but it doesn't get more direct than that.

What IS likely to happen is that both are likely to notice the presence of the other as they act and exist in the Primordial Dream. High Lair Children coming in is like a new predator entering an environment, or introducing a large object into a water system, and particularly active Children churn the Dream like a flailing child in a pool. In both cases, as Children sleep, their dreams become portentous, symbolically alluding towards the Child of note as they move through the Hive.

Originally posted by Teatime View Post
          I'd like to point out some untapped potential I see in this approach.

1) The way Forsworn affect causality around them and Insatiable Schizm can be combined into a unified system. The former would drive Heroic narratives, and the latter would drive nihilistic ones. Not only that, Beasts could be bootstrapped into that system. Each group would interact with it in a different manner, and deciding the exact mechanics would require care. Still, they would be in a three-way battle for the subcosciousness of humanity, and perhaps that of other monsters. Some canny Mortal occultists could get in on the fun, too. I entertained a similar though before, where nature of the Apex would affect odds of certain events within it's Hive. For instance, a spiteful Ravager makes publically destroying works of art an extra Vice for the inhabitants, but hurting anyone with visible burn marks is always at -2 dice. A different approach would be that Beasts carry dooms that can only be altered or avoided by challenging the system and changing their public perception.

2) With the entirety of the Bright Dream to play with, I think that limiting becoming Forsworn to realm of Heroism is not the way. Since Heroes must search the Temenos to find tools to destroy their Horrors, they can actualize in any place imaginable. They can find their weapon in their favorite movie, realm of finance, reflection of their school... The examples go for ever. Each Forsworn would be colored by the realm they've slain their Horror in. Within it, there would be their Lair/Stronghold/Happy-Place, like an apartment in Mr. Roger's neighborhood, with the Horror's mounted head over the fireplace. That approach would encourage Beast to roam the Bright Dream to find intel against their enemies.
          1) I'm inclined to agree, and part of that was why things like the Lore system I suggested a while back was considered. And while I want to keep the kids playing with each other, I'm definitely not against Occultists and persons of influence being able to fuck with it all.

2) I would want to keep some involvement with Heroism, because duh, but I'm not opposed with them interacting with the various realms of the Bright Dream in this way-it's one of those perks I felt like the Storm allowed us to really get into it. Even without the Storm's influences (because I can admit that's a little weak), yer not gonna catch me arguing against Beasts' having reasons to explore the Bright dream, and correspondingly allow players to explore the things people mythologize and the hows and whys behind it. The girl who made the Cassini satellite a Krewe Regalia is definitely not gonna say no to that.

i was curious, in those amazing revisions of the game,will it still be possible to take any mythological/folklorical critter and protagonist and making them a Beast or Hero?
          Nothing suggested would take way from that and I'm not sure why anyone interested in working on Beast would even think of messing with that,

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Working...
          X