Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playable without knowledge of the other Creatures?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playable without knowledge of the other Creatures?

Hello Folks!
    My english is not the best, so pls be indulgant 🙃

I own all the Core Rulebooks of the Chronicles of Darkness. Beast is currently the most appealing to me. I read Requiem roughly, but none of the other Books.
    Is it possible to run Beast without having a clue of the other creatures like vampires and werewolves? As i understand, Beast has a special place in the CoD, as it was designed to make crossover not only possible, but also rewarding. I play the old WoD for years, but the beings are pretty different compared to the CoD.
    Or should i really first deal with the other beings and sets of rules before i am going to be a Beast-Storyteller?
    Last edited by Wardoo; 01-06-2022, 11:49 PM.

Crossover isn't necessary, and rules-accurate even less so. If you have the CofD core book with its Dread Powers system, you can make monsters for your PC's Beasts to interact with to explore that side of the game... or just skip it. Beast does work without other supernaturals. Just be clear with your players so they don't invest in things or make concepts that expect a lot of that.

Comment

You can definitely play Beast without knowing anything about other gamelines. If you have the Chronicles of Darkness core rulebook, you can make use of the system for designing Horrors to create monsters to fill a similar role; barring that, you can have ephemeral beings using the Claim Manifestation or mortal characters with Supernatural Merits occupy most of the space for Kinship in your story.

As long as the characters in question aren't being portrayed by the players, you can get easily model a monster as a person with a handful of supernatural powers from any source you care to draw upon, possibly tweaking the way their Anchors and/or Integrity work to represent how their monstrosity pulls them away from humanity.

Resident Lore-Hound
      Currently Consuming: Demon: the Descent 1e

Comment

As the others say, you should be fine. You don't need to use the other splats if you're running a game. I would suggest checking talking with the group first just so they know if you're not working with other splats, or that you haven't got/read those books just to give them forewarning or find out if there's a particular interaction they really wanted to get in on. (And as Heavy Arms mentioned to avoid them putting resources into things that won't be useful for your game.)

Comment

I'm not quite sure I'm willing to agree with the skip it half of Arm's take, because Kinship and relationships to other monsters is a big part of Beast and how it's metaphors and psychological musings get explored and expressed, but yeah, You don't need any or all of the other gamelines for playing with that feature. You just need monsters in the community, and you can build that with the Horror Creation System for the ChroD core, or if you wanna keep the book minimum down, you can get creative through cross-stitching the Emphemeral Entities systems with Atavaisms and Nightmares.

Kelly R.S. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

To clarify a bit there: I don't mean skip it flippantly... just more, "don't stress over it." Yes, you're missing out on one of the great things Beast explores as a game, but... it explores a lot of things and I've played a lot of Beast and never gotten close to covering everything in one game. That's good, because it's why I keep wanting to come back to it. There's more than enough meat on the bones here for a game where the only active monsters in the community are Beasts to get into some pretty engaging parts of the metaphors and musings. But you do need everyone on board with it.

In my mind, it's better to do a fun game that doesn't try to do even something as big as Kinship is to the game, than get tied up in knots trying to make something work you're not sure how to do as a ST. If everyone wants to get deeper into it, then the game that didn't touch on it is experience as a group to build on and make it easier to figure out how to address things passed over the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
              To clarify a bit there: I don't mean skip it flippantly... just more, "don't stress over it." Yes, you're missing out on one of the great things Beast explores as a game, but... it explores a lot of things and I've played a lot of Beast and never gotten close to covering everything in one game. That's good, because it's why I keep wanting to come back to it. There's more than enough meat on the bones here for a game where the only active monsters in the community are Beasts to get into some pretty engaging parts of the metaphors and musings. But you do need everyone on board with it.

In my mind, it's better to do a fun game that doesn't try to do even something as big as Kinship is to the game, than get tied up in knots trying to make something work you're not sure how to do as a ST. If everyone wants to get deeper into it, then the game that didn't touch on it is experience as a group to build on and make it easier to figure out how to address things passed over the first time.
              Oh yeah, that I can stand with.

Kelly R.S. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Working...
              X