Beast: The Primordial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MCN View Post
    Welcome to ephemeral rules. They've always been counter-intuitive in my opinion. Someone dumb as a brick and socially inept but physically powerful would become both smart and charismatic upon turning into a ghost.

Thankfully, the only time that they'll come up is in astral combat, I think, so it won't be too much of a problem - you're not exactly working out complex mathematics, exploring deep into other realms, or social engagements in your Lair, where you use those traits. So, its more that a mentally strong person uses it to compensate for a weak body.
    Actually I always thought that the notion of maths and logics were pretty useless to ephemeral beings like spirits, much like getting any sense of how much weight they could clean and jerk, or how good their con artistry was. Just conglomerating these things into a single stat, Power, does a pretty good job of reinforcing the completely alien nature of ephemeral beings to corporeal things.

<mini-rant> Of course these rules also made making a nWoD version of Wraith "impossible" which resulted in the odd duck that is Geist. (Which itself is a silly name -- it's just German for "Ghost", imo calling the game Revenant would have made more sense... sorry, bonus rant over.) The Strix do show us a potential alternative for "ephemeral" beings by which a new version of Wraith could be built but folks wouldn't be too satisfied by it because Geist already scavenged so many of its central themes, e.g., Ego/Id as Psyche/Geist, Underworld setting, among other things. </mini-rant>

Comment

• Looking back over Dragonfire, I love how its use as a throwing attack means if you have a shield your ST could allow you to use the rules for catching projectiles to 'catch' the flame with your shield. Instant iconic awesome movie scene recreation, no house rules necessary. You can actually have the knight in shining armour block the Dragon's gout of flame with their shield as a basic feature of the power!

My custom legacy - The Disciples of Rathma - Life/Death focused Moros/Thyrsus Legacy, comments appreciated

Comment

• Originally posted by reaperfrost8 View Post
        I am kind of surprised that no one has mentioned bloodborne what with all the monsters and beasts in that game. The enemies are literally
        called beasts

Mehhh, in Bloodborne, the beasts are created through drinking the blood of elder gods, rather than through some spiritual incarnation. Although, I do believe there would be home brewed ways to tweak this into the game somehow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Mehhh, in Bloodborne, the beasts are created through drinking the blood of elder gods, rather than through some spiritual incarnation. Although, I do believe there would be home brewed ways to tweak this into the game somehow.
          Perhaps as denizens of the Primordial Dream? Or the offspring of such entities? Beasts (and most supernaturals, in their opinion) do descend from one, after all.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

• Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

Perhaps as denizens of the Primordial Dream? Or the offspring of such entities? Beasts (and most supernaturals, in their opinion) do descend from one, after all.

Well, vampires already reproduce through feeding blood to others. Maybe these guys have a similar ability; creating Begotten through a mutagenic process?

Comment

Working...
            X