X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nadir
    started a topic Bestial Creations

Bestial Creations

I'm very excited about the Beast the Primordial, especially the amount of room that the Families allow for creating some unique characters and concepts. Most of the examples of Souls in the pdf are solid; Great cats, tentacles sea creatures, huge serpents, spider, giants and dragons all harken back to ancient fears real and imagined. But the game taking place in a modern setting, I started to wonder about newer but prevalent icons for fear.

I thought about effectively technological versions of these ancient creatures, which in my mind amount to rather pathetic looking "b" movie cyborg monsters with lawn more blade hands and gear mouths. Then it occurred to me I was trying to anthropomorphize technology and that was completely missing the point of how awesomely open the Families are. They don't have to be humanoid or animals or even imaginary creature they can be anything and Steven King already gave us a great example.

Christine; yes your soul take the form of a murderous 1958 Plymouth Fury(Anakim, Hungry for Prey). Driving along the sections of highways and back roads that make up your lair. Now I realize this might not be work thematically or stylistically with everyone game, but it has gotten me excited for discovering some really out of the box ideas for Beast!

So, I'd love to hear people ideas for Beast's Souls. Whether taken from books and movies or your own creations!

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    Originally posted by TerrorCooper View Post

Definitely. A massive, primordial creature so deadly that its very footsteps poisoned the land, who's mere prescence could cause even the mightiest warrior to sicken and die, and which could not be beaten back by even the mightiest of armies. Such a creature would be utterly terrifying to face down.
    And probably a great if extremely OP example of an Incarnate Beast (only seen in his Horror form of course)

Leave a comment:

• TerrorCooper
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    Actually, I believe Godzilla would be an excellent way to interpret this. Godzilla was an allegory for the consequences of nuclear war. He was an enemy that could not be stopped with brute force, and he was so deadly that even his mere footsteps poisoned his environment. Godzilla may not look like a bomb with legs, but from a Beast interpretation, he would be perfect representation of a fear of nuclear weapons.
    Definitely. A massive, primordial creature so deadly that its very footsteps poisoned the land, who's mere prescence could cause even the mightiest warrior to sicken and die, and which could not be beaten back by even the mightiest of armies. Such a creature would be utterly terrifying to face down.

Leave a comment:

• MCN
    replied
    I'm really thinking of doing a dragon with a castle-themed Lair. Honestly, exploring and expanding the Lair are the biggest things I want to explore in this game.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Then, of course, you have the Gibdo professor. Man studies mummies for so long, he believes he is one, prompting his daughter who's like 4 years old to lock him in a padded cell and take care of him. And its suggested that he has a habit of doing this on past research projects.

Majora's mask was pretty fucked up!
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 06-16-2015, 03:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    Oh, yes, just seeing the Wallmaster's shadow was extremely stressful. Knowing they were in a dungeon meant feeling like you could never stand still and get your bearings for long.

I also recall Gyorg from Majora's Mask frightening me when I was young.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
    Thinking more about my Zelda brainwave. Deadhand from the Bottom of the Well creeped me right out as a child. It would most likely be Namtaru since it's a revolting, bloated, many-armed corpse-thing, though I could see an argument for Makara as well, since it lies within hidden depths (plus, grappling). It has a Hunger for Prey, I suppose, luring in Heroes with the promise of treasure. Lair Traits might include Mirages, Toxic, Engulfing, Maze, and Poor Light.

Incidentally, I wish there were a Merit that let you pick up more Lair Traits, maybe something similar to Terrible Form form Demon.

Meh, I didn't even notice what it was supposed to be until i was much older. I also notice Dead Hand has hooks for arms and attacks by lunging for your face / throat with its bite. Personally, I thought the Wallmasters were the more disturbing. You have to be constantly on the move or they drag you back to the start. No time to pause and catch your breath!

Last edited by Nyrufa; 06-15-2015, 04:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Diggs
    replied
    If you can explain to me how it would be scary in a nightmare then I think it is okay. If it is a car then it should look a certain way. I can see how a black car with darkly tinted windows that appears to be perpetually in shadow no matter how much light there is around could work. Basically, I would want to know if it was a scary car. I would be careful that you stay away from objects that are not motive unless you work out a way from the dream object to move. It doesn't need to be realistic. I wouldn't expect the "car" to use gas or necessarily have an engine. It has wheels so it can move around.

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    Thinking more about my Zelda brainwave. Deadhand from the Bottom of the Well creeped me right out as a child. It would most likely be Namtaru since it's a revolting, bloated, many-armed corpse-thing, though I could see an argument for Makara as well, since it lies within hidden depths (plus, grappling). It has a Hunger for Prey, I suppose, luring in Heroes with the promise of treasure. Lair Traits might include Mirages, Toxic, Engulfing, Maze, and Poor Light.

Incidentally, I wish there were a Merit that let you pick up more Lair Traits, maybe something similar to Terrible Form form Demon.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Probably due to the God Machine not being created by the Dark Mother. The God Machine created Angels, and Demons are created from fallen Angels, which means none of them are related to Beasts.

As for a technological themed fear, I'm having trouble coming up with ideas that don't seem ridiculous.

Actually, I believe Godzilla would be an excellent way to interpret this. Godzilla was an allegory for the consequences of nuclear war. He was an enemy that could not be stopped with brute force, and he was so deadly that even his mere footsteps poisoned his environment. Godzilla may not look like a bomb with legs, but from a Beast interpretation, he would be perfect representation of a fear of nuclear weapons.
    Absolutely! The Big G is an excellent example of technological fear. Still doesn't mean that someone can't do a Beast with a technological appearance if they want to

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Probably due to the God Machine not being created by the Dark Mother. The God Machine created Angels, and Demons are created from fallen Angels, which means none of them are related to Beasts.

As for a technological themed fear, I'm having trouble coming up with ideas that don't seem ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied

Well the concept of Beast isn't that you have a monster's soul, it's that you have a primordial monster's soul. You are a dragon, hydra, gorgon, harpy or whatever that's been born in this time. As for your idea of technologically based monsters, that's what Demon is about, and Beasts do not regard them as part of their family. Having a techno Beast would kind of misconstrue that belief.
    Why not? Visuals in way means they are family, and you could very, very easily have a fear represented by technology of some sort. Demons not being family has to do with the fact the God Machine is not kin to the Dark Mother. Not technology usage.

Anyhow, the idea that I'm working on is lifted from Meatloaf: A Bat Out of Hell. Not too different from a dragon with a Hunger for Hoard, it must steal religious icons and at High Satiety must steal those specifically of female angels or saints (go look at the cover of Bat Out of Hell II or III if you wonder why). He tries to teach that one must but their faith in God, and not in icons, but given that his legend is that of an abductor, he has some serious issues with fighting his Horror's urges. The Horror's Lair right now is a graveyard so hot you could fry an egg of a tombstone. Ghosts are this Horror's kin, so the Lair also imposes the Open condition upon anyone within it.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Originally posted by Nadir View Post
    I'm very excited about the Beast the Primordial, especially the amount of room that the Families allow for creating some unique characters and concepts. Most of the examples of Souls in the pdf are solid; Great cats, tentacles sea creatures, huge serpents, spider, giants and dragons all harken back to ancient fears real and imagined. But the game taking place in a modern setting, I started to wonder about newer but prevalent icons for fear.

I thought about effectively technological versions of these ancient creatures, which in my mind amount to rather pathetic looking "b" movie cyborg monsters with lawn more blade hands and gear mouths. Then it occurred to me I was trying to anthropomorphize technology and that was completely missing the point of how awesomely open the Families are. They don't have to be humanoid or animals or even imaginary creature they can be anything and Steven King already gave us a great example.

Christine; yes your soul take the form of a murderous 1958 Plymouth Fury(Anakim, Hungry for Prey). Driving along the sections of highways and back roads that make up your lair. Now I realize this might not be work thematically or stylistically with everyone game, but it has gotten me excited for discovering some really out of the box ideas for Beast!

So, I'd love to hear people ideas for Beast's Souls. Whether taken from books and movies or your own creations!

Well the concept of Beast isn't that you have a monster's soul, it's that you have a primordial monster's soul. You are a dragon, hydra, gorgon, harpy or whatever that's been born in this time. As for your idea of technologically based monsters, that's what Demon is about, and Beasts do not regard them as part of their family. Having a techno Beast would kind of misconstrue that belief.
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 06-14-2015, 11:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Jellyfish, I love your all concepts!

Originally posted by The Jellyfish View Post
    Eshmaki: Predator: The Black Hole: Everything, everyone, everywhere, ends. Even worlds, galaxies, and universes. You are the living embodiment of this idea. A howling rupture in reality, you relentlessly pursue those who thought they were untouchable. Not until you annihilate them utterly with the same tidal forces that bend light and crush stars.
    I would only point the Makara here have more sense - you know, Abyss and Depth of cosmos - Black Hole. But otherwise - perfect!

Leave a comment:

• The Jellyfish
    replied
    Eshmaki: Predator: The Black Hole: Everything, everyone, everywhere, ends. Even worlds, galaxies, and universes. You are the living embodiment of this idea. A howling rupture in reality, you relentlessly pursue those who thought they were untouchable. Not until you annihilate them utterly with the same tidal forces that bend light and crush stars.

Anakim: Ravager: The Wurm: The perfect expression of primal destruction, you live to tear down the greatest structures humankind has ever built, and their vanity with it. You devour anyone who tries to stop you in your gaping maw.

Namtaru: Tyrant: The Hive: Humans are such petty, selfish creatures. 3 billion ants and every one thinks itself the queen. You are so fortunate to experience perfect harmony, perfect unity. They could experience it too, with the right leadership...the ones left alive, anyway.
    Last edited by The Jellyfish; 06-13-2015, 05:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X