Homebrew Nightmares

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Water is Blood
    Like the water in Lough Derg shed by the she-dragon, CaorĂ¡nach, all water becomes blood.
    Dicepool: Manipulation + Satiety vs Composure + Supernatural Tolerance
    Normal Satiety: All water until the end of the scene to target character appears to be blood. Be in rain water, lake water, or drinking water all water is blood to them.

High Satiety: Even tears, saliva, and other clear bodily fluids are now blood for the end of the next scene.
    Satiety Expenditure: The target gets the Sickened Tilt.
    Last edited by imposterzilla; 06-14-2015, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Hmm. have you considered giving the beast the ability to make it rain blood with high satiety?

I mean if it wasn't raining before. I mean sure tears of blood is as thing, but hardly seems as impressive as say making it rain blood in doors.

Comment

A few ideas I had

I Need This (Daeva) - The Beast inflicts an addiction on the target, shaped by the Beast's own Hunger. It can be for a person's presence, a consumable substance, the thrill of a specific action, etc.

Curse of Cassandra (Acanthus) - inflicted on those who know too much, this assures that no one will believe them

It Must Be Finished (Deceived) - the victim is overwhelmed by artistic inspiration and recieves substantial bonuses toward their work, however literally everything else receives equally large penalties as their art drains and consumes them

I think a previous blog entry mentioned You Cannot Stop as an idea for Forgotten Sin-Eaters with car crash associations. I now that that (driving a car... often from the back seat? and not having any real control) is a recurring nightmare for me.
        Last edited by glamourweaver; 06-14-2015, 02:02 AM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I wonder about cross application of Kinship. I mean, can't kinship with a Fire-Touched Werewolf, or a Stricken Sin-Eater also potential allow a Beast to learn "You Are Infected"?

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
            I wonder about cross application of Kinship. I mean, can't kinship with a Fire-Touched Werewolf, or a Stricken Sin-Eater also potential allow a Beast to learn "You Are Infected"?
            I believe this is called out as the case right before it shows the Kinship Nightmares.

Comment

Originally posted by Aiden View Post
              Here's the first draft of one I made for Strix Kinship.

No Masks For You [Strix Kinship]
              You can't hide who, or what, you really are anymore. All masks are stripped away, all lies stand revealed, and you can hardly remember why they were there in the first place. Then you come back to yourself, and are left to face what people feel about the real you - if anyone is left when you're done.
              Dicepool: Wits + Satiety vs Composure + Supernatural Tolerance
              Normal Satiety: The victim loses the benefits of all forms of disguise whether it be from make-up, costume, or a vampire's Blush of Life. It cannot overcome more potent forms of obscuring physical identity, however; powers such as Obfuscate, or passive disguises like a Changeling's Mien or a Mummy's Sahu will not so much as flicker at this level.

High Satiety: Even spoken lies and partial truths are beyond the victim's ability to manage; they fail all social rolls to deceive others. The only way they can keep a secret is to refrain from communication, which can have consequences of its own. This may be overcome for a turn by spending a point of Willpower, but such a measure will not protect them from continued questioning.

Satiety Expenditure: The victim cannot regain Willpower from their Virtue, and must spend Willpower to resist any provocation or opportunity to fulfill their Vice. Supernatural beings without Virtue or Vice lose access to whichever replacement they have that reflects a connection to or facade of humanity (Life, Masks, Bone, etc.), and must spend Willpower to resist that which reflects their monstrous self (Legend, Dirge, Blood, etc.).

With Satiety expenditure the Normal effect's limitations briefly disappear. Things as a Changeling's Mien, a Mummy's Sahu, or active powers of disguise such as the vampire Obfuscate Discipline falter for a turn against a successful use at this level.
              I love this one, but why Strix? What's the connection there?

Actually it might make a good general one based on nightmares of being exposed (aka showing up somewhere naked).

Comment

Just ideas I had, not sure what mechanics it would have;

You are a Chair (Changeling Kinship)
                You realise you cannot move, though you're not bound in anyway, your limbs just won't move when you tell them. Then you realise you're contorted into a shape. It's uncomfortable and you can't get out of it. It's only when you look around and take in your surroundings, that you realise you're a piece of furniture now to whoever did this to you...

Constraining Chains (Ogre Changeling kinship)
                You awaken somewhere, a dank dungeon, a basement with rust covered walls... It's hard to tell. You got to leave and realise you've been bound to the wall. Then 'It' comes and you know you have to get away... You tug at the bonds, but they don't break... They seem to get tougher... And at the same time, they're cutting into your flesh... It hurts but you need to get away... Until you realise the chains are slicing into your flesh and ripping through bone much worse than however 'That Thing' could do so...

Unending Work (Wizened Changeling kinship)
                You're linked to a workbench and forced into work, perhaps repairing a small pile of items. It doesn't seem too bad - at first, but for every item repaired it seems two or more take it's place. The pile grows larger for every item fixed and soon a supervisor comes and announces you're not working fast enough. You try but the pile keeps growing and soon the supervisor is using harsh words, threats to loved ones, they whip and cajole and cause you pain and the only way they'll stop is when you finish but the pile just keeps getting bigger...

Comment

Originally posted by wander View Post
                  Just ideas I had, not sure what mechanics it would have;

You are a Chair (Changeling Kinship)
                  You realise you cannot move, though you're not bound in anyway, your limbs just won't move when you tell them. Then you realise you're contorted into a shape. It's uncomfortable and you can't get out of it. It's only when you look around and take in your surroundings, that you realise you're a piece of furniture now to whoever did this to you...
                  http://romanticallyapocalyptic.com/blog/shoe

Comment

No One Walks Here (hunters in darkness) - imbues a location with a fearsome aura that creates rumors guaranteeing MOST people won't dare violate your territory.

Comment

All According to Plan (Genius Slashers): Your target's actions always end up working in your favor.

Somebody Else's Death (Abmortals, Sin-Eaters): Prevent one target from dying at the expense of another character's life

Dust to Dust (Immortals): Your target becomes decrepit and ancient-feeling, making them physically feeble but granting them ancient knowledge

Soaked in Blood (Blood Bathers): Your target believes themself to be covered in blood and viscera, and feels compelled to clean themselves, possibly scrubbing to the point of injury

Hypocrisy of the Champion (Heroes): Your target is completely incapable of questioning their motives, assuming that because their are right, their actions are justified, and vice versa

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

I added Hunter, Demon and Mummy to my list of cWoD Kinships.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

It Watches You: (Spirit)
                          Step 1: Nature of the Fear (Everything around you is alive and judging you, [The Shadow is Animistic])
                          Step 2:
                          • Normal Effect: Inflicts the Shadow Paranoia Condition.
                          • High Satiety: Also Inflicts the Spooked Condition.
                          • Satiety Expenditure: Compels the Target to repeat actions in a ritualistic manner to appease the spirits.
                          Step 3: Manipulation (subtle dread) + Satiety vs Composure (provokes an immediate reaction) + Supernatural Tolerance
                          Step 4: Ask the audience; is this too much?

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

This isn't Yours (Frankenstein Kinship): the victim becomes convinced their body parts don't really belong to them and have their own agendas. Satiety expenditure makes the latter point actually true.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                              This isn't Yours (Frankenstein Kinship): the victim becomes convinced their body parts don't really belong to them and have their own agendas. Satiety expenditure makes the latter point actually true.
                              Dang it, I was thinking of posting something similar, based on Alien Hand Syndrome:http://syndrome.org/alien-hand-syndrome/

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."
                              I find Nick Spencer and Richard Spencer to be equally repulsive.

Comment

Hmmm... I'm considering something like "You Can't Breath" as a General Nightmare (or possibly Silent Geist Kinship, but it's pretty ubiquitous), playing off claustrophobia and particular suited to a Sphinx Beast ("Sphinx" literally meaning "Strangler")... however, would it be best just to make that a particular way the damage-inducing fear of "Behold, My True Form" manifests?

Comment

Working...
                                X