No announcement yet.

Homebrew Nightmares

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't it sad that you can't do Kinship with Unchained?

Comment

Can Not Trust Yourself: (Changeling/Fetch)
      Step 1: Nature of the Fear (Self Sabotage taken to extreme; your troubles are self inflicted, [The Person in the Mirror Won't Let You Win])
      Step 2:
      • Normal Effect: Reduces the Threshold for the Exceptional Successes against the victim to 3, as the target subconsciously foils their own efforts.
      • High Satiety: The victim treats a successful roll as though it only earned a single success.
      • Satiety Expenditure: Also inflicts the False Memories (Persistent) Condition; the victim goes into denial and refuses to believe that anyone else is in any way responsible for their failures.
      Step 3: Wits (Self Doubt, sneaky, etc) + Satiety vs Resolve (erodes self-confidence) + Supernatural Tolerance
      Step 4: Ask the audience; is this too much?

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by Jesuncolo View Post
        In and of itself, yes - but I think a special case of something beyond the reach of kinship and the Beast's frame of reference provides a more valuable plot hook.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

...I've posted three Nightmares and only just realized I haven't put anything for an Exceptional Success for any of them and have no idea where to start.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

I can't think of a good nightmare, but I do have a house rule: a Nightmare doesn't work on the being who inspired it (I'm mostly thinking of the individual rather than which species or faction they belong to). It's a distillation of how they're scary, thus on some level the Nightmare's power is also their power, so it has no hold on them.

Comment

As a good rule of thumb, okay, but I'd allow for exceptions.

I mean yeah, a morbus isn't going to be afraid of disease, a spider host isn't likely to be afraid of spiders either, etc.

But one of the more prominent fearmongers in fiction is obsessively terrified of the very thing he uses to terrify others.

So just because say, someone else makes other people fear death doesn't mean they don't fear death too.

Comment

Enemy At the Gates (Pure) - you can inflame the bigotries of a target, feeling vehemently threatened by whatever group they harbor suspicion of/contempt for. While this obviously has overtly evil uses to inflame prejudice driven persecution, it can also be used to do things like expose a bigot's true colors, teach them the foolishness of their ways, etc. Then again, since you have to have established Kinship with the Pure to learn the Nightmare, that says something about the Beast in and of itself...

Break Your Mother's Back (Changeling) - instill a fear of violating silly superstitions in the target. With satiety expenditure you can actually tag them with condition to elicit dramatic failures for violating some bad-luck taboo.
                Last edited by glamourweaver; 07-06-2015, 04:26 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
                  I can't think of a good nightmare, but I do have a house rule: a Nightmare doesn't work on the being who inspired it (I'm mostly thinking of the individual rather than which species or faction they belong to). It's a distillation of how they're scary, thus on some level the Nightmare's power is also their power, so it has no hold on them.
                  You've never been afraid of yourself? Of what you could do? Ever took a step back to meditate on what you've done and how you'd have reacted if someone else did it on you? The butcher probably has nightmares about being hooked and chopped. Batman took this name because of the fear the bats invoked in him. Many people go crazy over the acts they've commited.

Vampires fear vampirism more than anything because it would destroy their soul. Werewolves are trying to control the beast within and some fear the power of the Gauru. Mages have an integrity analog based on how prudent they are with their powers. Prometheans fear their very existence because of the Flux they generate. I think Nightmares should be usable against the one that inspired them. A bonus to resist might apply, but not immunity.

Glorious Useless-Post Prana
                  Cost: 2m; Mins: Linguistics 1, Essence 1 Type: Simple
                  Keywords: Mute
                  Duration: Instant
                  Prerequisite Charms: Ten-Characters Methodology

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum Opus View Post
                    You've never been afraid of yourself? Of what you could do? Ever took a step back to meditate on what you've done and how you'd have reacted if someone else did it on you?
                    All the time, but it's not something other people are going to fear me over, which is what makes the basis for a Nightmare. Batman might be afraid of bats, but he can stand quite calmly amid a horde of them, and summon them to his aid, so it's not a fear that has a lot of power over him.

Comment

I really wanted to make a beast with Mage Kinship, but neither of the Mage Nightmares were really doing it for me. Here's the one I came up with. It's kind of halfway between All Your Teeth Are Falling Out and Everything You Do Is Worthless.

You Don’t Understand Anything [Mage Kinship]
                      It turns out, all along, you’ve misunderstood everything! All of your study, years of effort, is for naught! You know no more than the day you started.
                      Dice Pool: Intelligence + Satiety vs. Resolve + Supernatural Tolerance
                      Normal: The Beast chooses a Social or Mental Skill. The victim suddenly “realizes” that their understanding of that field is incorrect and find comprehending any information related to it difficult. The victim takes a -2 penalty to mundane applications of the chosen Skill.
                      High Satiety: The victim is completely bewildered by the chosen Skill, as though all their training and knowledge were meaningless. Treat them as unskilled in that Skill (they lose all dots, Specialties, and take the unskilled penalty).
                      Satiety Expenditure: As long as the Nightmare is active, the Beast may spend 1 Satiety to reduce the victim to a chance die on a single roll.
                      Exceptional Success: Treat all of the victim’s failures as dramatic failures.

Comment

I have one more for the homebrew lines:

Eight Deadly Words (Dethroned Princess)
                        The worst words a writer can hear from an audience is "I Don't Care What Happens To These People". Like the most broken of Nobility, you understand what loss truly is, and you can tear away at the very ability of a person to care for others.
                        Dice Pool: Manipulation + Satiety vs. Resolve + Supernatural Tolerance
                        Normal: The character ceases to care about others. New impressions made with them are poor, and they don't recover Willpower (or Wisps, for Nobility) when performing acts on other's behalf or interacting with friends, including the True Friend merit, even if it would fall under your Virtue to do so.
                        High Satiety: The target temporarily becomes a high-functioning sociopath, unable to empathize with others (imposing a -3 penalty to Empathy and Animal Ken) and straining their relationships with others. Any time they would gain a beat from helping others, they instead gain a beat for acting in a self-centered manner.
                        Satiety Expenditure: The target becomes utterly solipsistic, believing everyone else simply isn't a person. They may not make Empathy rolls of any kind, except to activate supernatural powers (such rolls lose the Empathy rating from their dice pool), and they are incapable of considering the emotions of others, nor the consequences of their actions on those around them. They lose their Virtue entirely and instead gain a second Vice: Selfish. Willpower gains from each vice are tracked separately, and so you can regain from both in the same scene.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicSwordsman View Post
                          I really wanted to make a beast with Mage Kinship, but neither of the Mage Nightmares were really doing it for me. Here's the one I came up with. It's kind of halfway between All Your Teeth Are Falling Out and Everything You Do Is Worthless.

You Don’t Understand Anything [Mage Kinship]
                          It turns out, all along, you’ve misunderstood everything! All of your study, years of effort, is for naught! You know no more than the day you started.
                          Dice Pool: Intelligence + Satiety vs. Resolve + Supernatural Tolerance
                          Normal: The Beast chooses a Social or Mental Skill. The victim suddenly “realizes” that their understanding of that field is incorrect and find comprehending any information related to it difficult. The victim takes a -2 penalty to mundane applications of the chosen Skill.
                          High Satiety: The victim is completely bewildered by the chosen Skill, as though all their training and knowledge were meaningless. Treat them as unskilled in that Skill (they lose all dots, Specialties, and take the unskilled penalty).
                          Satiety Expenditure: As long as the Nightmare is active, the Beast may spend 1 Satiety to reduce the victim to a chance die on a single roll.
                          Exceptional Success: Treat all of the victim’s failures as dramatic failures.
                          "You know nothing, Jon Snow!"

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."
                          I find Nick Spencer and Richard Spencer to be equally repulsive.

Comment

I like how plenty of these could work with others as well- The Consensus Is Wrong and You Don't Understand Anything could easily be Genius Kinships as well.

Narrative Causality (Changeling or True Fae): Of course the butler did it. Of course the bomb only gets disarmed with one second left. Of course cars blow up when you shoot them. Of course stepmothers, foreigners, and people with mustaches are evil. At least, that's what the target thinks- this Nightmare forces the logic of fairytales and fiction onto the victim, making them assume that the most cliched answer must be the right one.

Colorless Green Ideas Sleep Furiously (True Fae): The true horror of the Fae comes from how they can causally break the rules of reality and drag their victims off into bizarre realms where logic and physics are about as important as knock-knock jokes. This Nightmare attacks the victim's perception of reality, warping it so that up can be down, down can be purple, 1+1 can equal Uranus, and the floor is lava.

Ludd Was Right (Genius, Clockstopper, any monster with a Luddite or technological bent): The target becomes fearful of modern technology and distrustful of science.

Burden Of Proof (Banisher, Clockstopper): The target becomes aggressively skeptical, demanding massive amounts of proof for even the most vaguely out-of-the-ordinary occurrences.

The Reptilian Agenda (Lemurian Mane): The target becomes fearful of reptiles and celebrities, believing that both are part of an alien conspiracy to rule the world from the shadows.

The Fight Is Hopeless (Seer of the Throne): The target begins to fear that their enemies, and the supernatural forces behind the scenes in general, are much too vast and too powerful to be opposed, and they can only hope to be spared by bowing down and serving their superiors.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesuncolo View Post

I must admit, I would have liked a "God doesn't love you" nightmare...

Comment

Originally posted by wander View Post
                                Just ideas I had, not sure what mechanics it would have;

Constraining Chains (Ogre Changeling kinship)
                                You awaken somewhere, a dank dungeon, a basement with rust covered walls... It's hard to tell. You got to leave and realise you've been bound to the wall. Then 'It' comes and you know you have to get away... You tug at the bonds, but they don't break... They seem to get tougher... And at the same time, they're cutting into your flesh... It hurts but you need to get away... Until you realise the chains are slicing into your flesh and ripping through bone much worse than however 'That Thing' could do so...
                                Constraining Chains (Ogre Changeling)
                                You awaken somewhere, a dank dungeon, a basement with rust covered walls. It's hard to tell. You try to leave and realise you've been bound to the wall. Then 'It' comes and you know you have to get away. You tug at the bonds, but they don't break. They seem to get tougher even as they’re cutting into your flesh... It hurts but you need to get away, until you realise the chains are slicing into your flesh and ripping through bone much worse than however 'That Thing' could do so...
                                Dice Pool: Presence + Satiety vs. Stamina + Supernatural Advantage

Normal: None of us want to be tied up. Being bound leaves one vulnerable and without the liberty to fight back. The victim suffers the Immobilized Tilt as if his arms and legs are both bound for the scene. He rolls Strength + Athletics to break free at a -2 penalty.

High Satiety: The victim suffers the Immobilized Tilt as if he were hogtied, inflicting a -4 penalty to all escape rolls.

Satiety Expenditure: The victim’s fear is so overpowering that he can barely concentrate enough to think clearly. In addition to the Immobilized Tilt, he suffers from the effects of the Insensate Tilt.

Exceptional Success: The phantom restraints placed on the victim seem to have a life of their own. Each attempt to break free only causes them to tighten further, injuring him further. In addition to the point of damage he suffers with every roll, the victim suffers additional damage equal to the number of failed dice in a Stamina roll.

-=-

Not sure if this would even be a Kinship Nightmare for the Ogre Seeming, now that I look at it. It seems to make more sense if it were tied to a specific kith instead. Like the Brollachan. Or even the Leechfinger.
                                Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-29-2016, 12:48 AM. Reason: Changed the Resistance Attribute from Composure to Stamina.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                                Age of Azar
                                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
                                X