No announcement yet.

Homebrew Nightmares

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we get an admin to move this thread to the Beast Board?

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

I'll Show You All! (Hoffnung Genius)
      They mocked me, said my theories were nonsense. They had the nerve to call me mad!? But they'll see the truth soon enough.
      This Nightmare implants a delusion into the victim, one that they feel compelled to prove to others, even through violence.
      Dice Pool: Manipulation + Satiety vs. Composure + Supernatural Advantage

Normal Effect: The target gains a non-Persistent version of the Obsession Condition, tied to proving a specific delusion is true.

High Satiety: The victim become dangerously fervent. Any time they fail to convince others, they suffer a Breaking Point.

Satiety Expenditure: The target's mind has been thoroughly bent, permanently placing the delusion at the front of their mind. The Obsession Condition inflicted is Persistent.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

First time I've written a Nightmare; hope I did alright. I'm not too aware of what is in the God-Machine Chronicles that differs from the previous version of World of Darkness.

Dem Bones Gonna Look All Over You (Sin Eater, Boneyard power)
        Something overcomes you - the sense of being observed from an obscure angle by eyes that cannot be seen. Something is haunting you, you're sure. If only you could just see it.

Dice Pool: Presence + Satiety vs Composure + Supernatural Resistance

Normal: The target becomes paranoid about being seen, whether they are within a building or not. They gain the Obsession condition to try and discover their observer, but are convinced to constantly look in the shadows, corners or in areas that people generally cannot fit. They feel a sensation that is akin to a when a Sin Eater enters an active Boneyard.

High Satiety: The target hallucinates and sees reflections of someone indistinct watching them, or see someone out the corner of their eye, but they can never catch them within their vision.

Satiety Expenditure: If the Beast remains within a mile of their target, they may project whispers into the target's ears, further disorientating them. This voice is distorted, though vaguely resembles their own voice.

Exceptional Success: The target takes a penalty to their Investigation rolls equal to the Beast's successes.

Comment

You Wet the Bed(Common)- The Beast causes the Victim to become filled with Embarrassment, Shame, and Disgust about themselves becoming grossed out and uncomfortable in their own skins.

Worked out the concept but not the mechanics yet.

First Post Back By the way, returning player that's been away since about 2009 shortly after Geist...Glad to be Back
          Last edited by Neksys; 12-15-2015, 02:56 AM.

Keep your Friends Close and your Enemies at Knife point.

Comment

Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
            Because, surprisingly, there wasn't already a thread for this, even though Nightmares are literally designed to be homebrewed. Here until we get a Beast forum. Ideas or fully crunched mechanics are both fine, as are Nightmares based on homebrew templates.

You Could Wake Up Dead Tomorrow (Sin-Eater): "Oh Bart, don't worry, people die all the time. In fact, you could wake up dead tomorrow.". No idea what it would do, I just couldn't resist.
            Decided to try and flesh out this conceptual Nightmare.

-=-

​Anything Could Kill You (Forgotten Sin-Eater)
            Don't worry, people die all the time. In fact, you could wake up dead tomorrow.
            Dice Pool: Manipulation + Satiety vs. Resolve + Supernatural Tolerance

Normal Effect: The Beast can convince the target that a completely innocuous object, place, or situation is incredibly lethal. This inflicts the Paranoid Condition related to this compulsion for the remainder of the scene.

High Satiety: A Sated Beast who uses this Nightmare can make the paranoia so overpowering that the victim succumbs to it. He inflicts the Resigned Condition.

Satiety Expenditure: By expending a point of Satiety, the penalty levied by the Paranoid Condition is increased by half the Beast's Lair dots (rounded up).

Exceptional Success: The Nightmare also inflicts the Shadow Paranoia Condition
            Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-28-2016, 02:16 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
            Age of Azar
            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Stay Out of My Head (Any supernatural prone to mind reading or mind control)

Dice Pool: None, see below

Action: Reflexive

Normal: The Beast takes a -2 on his roll to invoke another Nightmare. In return he can "store" the Nightmare inside his mind for 24 hours. The next time someone uses a supernatural power to read or influence the Beast's mind that person is subjected to the Nightmare. The Beast may choose not to activate the Nightmare, if he is aware his mind is being accessed.

High Satiety: The Beast may store a number of Nightmares up to his current Satiety. All Nightmares use the original roll.

Satiety Expenditure: The invocation roll for the other Nightmare suffers no penalty and achieves an exceptional success at three successes instead of five.

Exceptional Success: None, an exceptional success triggers the exceptional success result of the affected nightmare.

I'm also thinking how to make a Fetch based voodoo doll or Dorian Gray style nightmare. The horror trope of shared damage has pretty good precedent and would be cool to play with, I'm just thinking about how to make it effective without killing somebody outright

Comment

Another Nightmare concept given mechanics.

-=-

Curiosity Killed the Cat (Guardian of the Veil)
                Dice Pool:
                Wits + Satiety vs. Resolve + Supernatural Advantage

Normal Effect: The target becomes convinced that any attempt to investigate bizarre or supernatural occurrences is incredibly dangerous, and will obsessively avoid anything unusual. He gains the Obsession Condition related to this.

High Satiety: The dangers perceived by all things bizarre and supernatural is so overpowering that it more often than not drives the target to flee. He gains the Frightened Condition to reflect this.

Satiety Expenditure: The Conditions inflicted by the Nightmare become Persistent.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                Age of Azar
                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

You Are One Of Them (Frankenstein Promethean)
                  Dice Pool:
                  Occult + Satiety vs. Resolve + Supernatural Advantage

You hate me because i'm a Monster? Look at yourself.

Normal Effect: The Victim becomes convinced she is becoming an Promethean,she sees stiches growing between her fingers and joints,or her sking becomin infused with ectoplams

High Satiety: The victim gets a taste of the Torment all created go through sooner or later, she starts to become more agressive and vengeful,she takes a 2 dice penalty on all not related to hurt someone over a slight.

Satiety Expenditure: The Victim is afraid to leave her home,terryfied Disquiet may turn her loved ones against her,she gains thr agoraphobic condition

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post

You Are One Of Them (Frankenstein Promethean)
                    Dice Pool:
                    Occult + Satiety vs. Resolve + Supernatural Advantage

You hate me because i'm a Monster? Look at yourself.

Normal Effect: The Victim becomes convinced she is becoming an Promethean,she sees stiches growing between her fingers and joints,or her sking becomin infused with ectoplams

High Satiety: The victim gets a taste of the Torment all created go through sooner or later, she starts to become more agressive and vengeful,she takes a 2 dice penalty on all not related to hurt someone over a slight.

Satiety Expenditure: The Victim is afraid to leave her home,terryfied Disquiet may turn her loved ones against her,she gains thr agoraphobic condition
                    I think this could be re-phrased as Nightmare based on Prometheans in general. Normal Effect gives something like a self-imposed Shunned Condition and High Satiety gives something like a Berserk or Aggressive Condition. However, agoraphobia is kind of specific and too psychiatric of a term for a Condition, methinks. Maybe a Nomadic Condition that makes the target abandon their jobs and homes as if they were a Promethean trying to not create a Wasteland.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Originally posted by GottaGoFeast View Post
                      I think this could be re-phrased as Nightmare based on Prometheans in general. Normal Effect gives something like a self-imposed Shunned Condition and High Satiety gives something like a Berserk or Aggressive Condition. However, agoraphobia is kind of specific and too psychiatric of a term for a Condition, methinks. Maybe a Nomadic Condition that makes the target abandon their jobs and homes as if they were a Promethean trying to not create a Wasteland.
                      That would be rhemathically better,thanks.

Comment

You Cannot Warn Them
                        There are things out there in the dark. You can see them, crawling beyond the light. You need to tell everyone, warn them not to step into the shadows. But no matter what you try, no matter what you say, they don't understand. And you can only watch as they go beyond the light

Dice Pool: Manipulation + Satiety vs Resolve + Supernatural Advantage

Normal Effect: The victim of this Nightmare finds it impossible to make himself understood by others. No matter what he says, his words are heard as gibberish, idiotic, irrelevant or irrational. This only applies to the spoken word however and does not effect writing. It will, however, effect sign language if the person uses that as their primary means of expression (if they are mute or deaf for example). Recording the person's words and them playing them back will not make them any clearer. The Nightmare attacks the victim's ability to communicate, not the abilities of those around him to comprehend.This effect lasts for a scene.

High Satiety: Even the written word is corrupted by the Beast's power. The victim cannot use writing to communicate either, nor other secondary means of communication such as sign language or semaphore. This applies regardless of what the victim is using to record his words. No matter if the victim uses a computer, pencil and paper or carves his words into stone, they are equally unintelligible. This effect lasts for a scene but anything written or recorded during this period remains nonsense.

Satiety Expenditure: Whatever the victim could not make others comprehend, he can no longer understand. The victim cannot decipher the speech (or if this is used at High Satiety, writings) of others. What is being said does not change, the victim simply cannot understand. This effect lasts for a scene.

Exceptional Success: The effects of the Nightmare last for a number of days equal to the Beast's Lair.
                        Last edited by ajf115; 10-16-2016, 01:36 PM.

Comment

So. Any thoughts on it?

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                            So. Any thoughts on it?
                            It looks pretty solid to me.

Here's a somewhat-beneficial (for some given definition of beneficial) Nightmare:

Hide Your Love and Hate (Winter Court Changeling)

Know this: Emotion is weakness. Showing weakness is death. The moment any of these strangers know what you're really feeling, they'll have a thousand knives to twist in your heart. Make your heart like stone and nothing can touch you.

Dice Pool: Wits + Satiety vs Resolve + Supernatural Tolerence

Normal Effect: The victim finds displays of emotion deeply unsettling, be they her own or those of the people around her. For the rest of the scene, she must spend a point of Willpower to make any kind of social roll.

High Satiety: The victim's heart hardens like an arctic glacier. Add the number of successes on this Nightmare to her total number of Doors. (If you aren't using Social Maneuvering rules, subtract the Beast's Lair from any social rolls made against the victim.)

Satiety Expenditure: The Beast swallows the victim's heart whole, guarding it against intruders. For the rest of the scene, any mundane social rolls made against the victim are automatically reduced to a chance die, and supernatural powers that would manipulate the victim's emotions invoke a Clash of Wills with the Beast.

Exceptional Success: The Nightmare lasts for 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                              So. Any thoughts on it?
                              Dang. Imagine this being used alongside any of the Facets of my Shadow Gift of the Word.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                              Age of Azar
                              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post

It looks pretty solid to me.

Here's a somewhat-beneficial (for some given definition of beneficial) Nightmare
                                Somewhat beneficial, indeed.

This basically is a good way of turning a warm, empathetic soul into his complete opposite.

In other words, nicely done.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                                Age of Azar
                                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
                                X