No announcement yet.

Homebrew Nightmares

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made my first Nightmare. What do you think?

It's In Your Blood

There's nothing you can do to fight it. The abominable seeds planted generations ago are about to bloom. All the weaknesses and deviances of your ancestors are hiding in your own blood and calling for you. You're doomed to suffer their same fate as your own body and mind will betray you. Soon everyone will be able see it”

Dice Pool: Intelligence + Satiety vs. Resolve + Supernatural Tolerance

Normal: the victim gain the Paranoid Condition. She becomes convinced that there's some horrible secret or perversion that plagues her family which has tainted her very own genes. All those who can expose it or that are in the process of learning more about the past of her family and its members are seen as a threat.

High Satiety: the victim gains the Broken Condition.

Satiety Expenditure: the victims enter a state of fugue. She attempts to flee the area and will violently attack anybody that tries to stop her even in the slightest. If that happens, she won't stop until her target is dead, at which point she regains her sense of self and won't remember much of the events, aside from a nightmarish recollection that has nothing to do with what really happened

Exceptional Success: For the duration of the Nightmare, the victim suffers a -2 penalty on breaking point rolls
    Last edited by Cinder; 02-17-2016, 04:55 AM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
      Made my first Nightmare. What do you think?
      Awesome work, as usual

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Here is a nightmare I made for a game I was running. The backstory behind this is my players are playing themselves from 4 years ago. At that time I (who happens to be the ST) am butchered by a rouge vampire. Turned into a puddle of red goo and meat jelly, along with everyone and everything in the house except for 1 person. My sister (the player who uses this nightmare) who witnesses this scene and is also witness to a vampire saving her life fighting against the other one.

They are all dead
        In order to take this Nightmare a character has to have at least one close loved one slain by a supernatural being and be helpless to stop it.
        "Everyone you ever loved, ever cared about, ever held dear is dead laying at your feet. You couldn't stop it, you couldn't help, the lake of there blood is washing against you and your pathetic self. Can't you hear their cries still echoing in your head, as they beg for mercy, for god, for you, or anyone to help. Can't you feel their blood washing over you, as you stand there helpless."
        Dice Pool: Manipulation + Satiety vs Resolve + Supernatural Tolerance
        Normal: The target cannot spend willpower to boost actions, as sorrow grips their heart and mind preventing them from putting their all into their actions.
        High Satiety: Target gains Depressed condition.
        Spend Satiety: Target views you as the only trustworthy being and a rock of salvation for one scene.

Depression
        you are depressed, more than sad your mind cannot find any form of joy any more. Your body aches and it takes effort just to roll out of bed and get food. You do simple things like work, eat, and crap because you aren't ready to die yet. The afflicted will only do the bear minium to survive, and must spend Willpower to do more.
        Possible sources: Supernatural powers, Life, Breaking Point
        Resolution: Seeking help
        Beat: Self Medicate- Gain a beat and the addicted condition to some intoxicant
        Last edited by HaplessWithDice; 02-18-2016, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
          Hide Your Love and Hate (Winter Court Changeling)
          I can't help but think this should be called "Conceal, Don't Feel." :P

It's In Your Blood is certainly evocative, but... I'm not actually sure what the first level of it does, in game mechanics terms?

Comment

I have the problem of having a lot of ideas but not being great at working out mechanics. Here's an idea I had, sort of meant to fill a hole in terms of abilities that let Beasts deal with ghosts: some sort of "ghost magnet" nightmare gained from a Sin-Eater or necromancer that makes the victim a target for ghosts. I'm thinking the normal effect draws ghosts to them, the high satiety effect makes them more susceptible to numina, and the expenditure effect turns them into an anchor/binds a ghost to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
              I have the problem of having a lot of ideas but not being great at working out mechanics. Here's an idea I had, sort of meant to fill a hole in terms of abilities that let Beasts deal with ghosts: some sort of "ghost magnet" nightmare gained from a Sin-Eater or necromancer that makes the victim a target for ghosts. I'm thinking the normal effect draws ghosts to them, the high satiety effect makes them more susceptible to numina, and the expenditure effect turns them into an anchor/binds a ghost to them.
              You Are Haunted?

Comment

Ah, another concept, one that I'm surprised I haven't seen or thought of before because it's such a classic "monster" power: a Nightmare that prevents or impedes the target from leaving a designated area. Doors close and lock themselves, people get lost and end up going back the way they came, space and geography change...for the name, maybe You Cannot Leave or No Exit (if you want to get away from the "You" formula).

Comment

Anyone come up with nightmares for Pangeans yet?

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
                    Ah, another concept, one that I'm surprised I haven't seen or thought of before because it's such a classic "monster" power: a Nightmare that prevents or impedes the target from leaving a designated area. Doors close and lock themselves, people get lost and end up going back the way they came, space and geography change...for the name, maybe You Cannot Leave or No Exit (if you want to get away from the "You" formula).
                    Kind of redundant isn't it? I mean sealed exits is already a lair trait. It is also doesn't really fit as a Nightmare as Nightmares are more anti-personal, but they don't really warp the world around the target.

Comment

They Are Ready For You (Hunter)
                      "They know everything about you. They know how to hurt you, how to trick you, how to end you. You have no secrets from them, and you will end here if they so will it."
                      Dice Pool: Wits+Satiety vs Manipulation + Supernatural Tolerance
                      Normal: The Beast's player asks the target's player one question about the target's template or information on the target's character sheet, which must be answered truthfully with a yes or no.
                      High Satiety: The Beast's player may instead ask up to (Composure) questions.
                      Satiety Expenditure: The question(s) may be about anything involving the target. If the target's player does not know the answer, the Storyteller answers instead.
                      Exceptional Success: By forfeiting all questions to which she would be entitled, the Beast may attempt to place an Anathema on the target as though she were a Hero, if and only if the target is a supernatural being. A Beast without the Sated Condition is immune as usual, as is a being with an Integrity-equivalent within its three-dot "optimal" range (that is, Clarity or Wisdom of 8, 9, or 10; Harmony of 4, 5, or 6, and so on). [Mechanics for non-Beasts with Anathema to be inserted here.]

It Has Your Face (Hunter)
                      "You can easily justify destroying things that aren't like you. But what do you do when the monster is a human being? What do you do when you behead it - him - and see your own face looking back at you?"
                      Dice Pool: Manipulation+Satiety vs Composure+Supernatural Tolerance
                      Normal: The Beast gains an Integrity track, starting at (10-Satiety), and counts as both a mortal and a supernatural being for purposes of the target's breaking points.
                      High Satiety: The Beast may make a cosmetic alteration to himself, as long as it makes him look more like the target.
                      Satiety Expenditure: Any breaking points the target suffers involving the Beast are made at a -1 penalty, cumulative with all other penalties.
                      Exceptional Success: Any damage or Tilts the Beast suffers are duplicated on the target.

You Don't Know The Rules (Mortal)
                      "The world doesn't make sense. The way it works keeps changing, and you can't figure out the pattern. It's almost maddening."
                      Dice Pool: Intelligence+Satiety vs Intelligence+Supernatural Tolerance
                      Normal: The Beast creates a taboo, which the target must be physically and psychologically capable of keeping without danger or harm, which is told to the target's player. If the target breaks that taboo (target's Resolve*2) times, he may no longer apply Attributes to his defenses against supernatural powers. The Beast is also subject to the taboo, and must spend 1 Willpower each time to break it.
                      High Satiety: The Beast is under no obligation to tell the target's player the taboo, but either her player or the Storyteller must tell the target's player when he breaks the taboo, and the target's player may ask a single question about the taboo with a yes-or-no answer. The Beast remains subject to the taboo.
                      Satiety Expenditure: Unlike other Nightmares, a Beast may spend Satiety on this Nightmare during its duration as an instant action. The Beast changes the taboo once and resets the counter, as though she had invoked the Nightmare again at her current Satiety. Regardless of whether she has the High-Satiety effect, the target is aware that the rules have changed and enjoys a one-turn reprieve.
                      Exceptional Success: Upon breaking the taboo the appropriate number of times, the target's unrolled defenses against supernatural powers are reduced to 0, and rolled defenses are reduced to a chance die.

They Just Keep Coming (Mortal)
                      "For every one of them you put down, two more take its place. You can't last forever, and you know that you will fall."
                      Dice Pool: Resolve+Satiety vs Stamina+Supernatural Tolerance
                      Normal: If the target engages in Down and Dirty Combat, two successes are needed in place of one. Attacks made against the target still work normally.
                      High Satiety: In addition to the normal effect, the target gains no bonuses from weapons.
                      Satiety Expenditure: All damage the target inflicts has its type downgraded by one step.
                      Exceptional Success: Any failure the target rolls on an attack is treated as a dramatic failure.

I'm making a fangame: Xeno: The Beyond. A space alien game about identity, conformity, isolation, and colonialism. Please help!

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                        Kind of redundant isn't it? I mean sealed exits is already a lair trait. It is also doesn't really fit as a Nightmare as Nightmares are more anti-personal, but they don't really warp the world around the target.
                        It could work if it was all hallucinations. A common event in nightmares and horror movies is doors refusing to open and getting lost.

Comment

Anyone got ideas for a Nightmare centered around "the cycle continuing itself", or the mechanics thereof?

nWoD Warhammer Fantasy RPG,
                          WoD Wraith: The Oblivion
                          and Infernum-style Demon: The Descent, Shadows of Abaddon --> http://madnessforums.com/forums/inde...opic,26.0.html

Comment

Originally posted by MrParaduo View Post
                            Anyone got ideas for a Nightmare centered around "the cycle continuing itself", or the mechanics thereof?
                            Which cycle?

The Stars Are Right (Mummy, Leviathan): Target acts as though something that was Fated has come to pass.
                            You Have Become What You Hate (Vampire, Hunter): Target begins transforming into a monster.
                            You Can (Not) Advance (Changeling, Mummy): Target is unable to achieve any kind of personal growth.
                            Last edited by jy3ext; 04-16-2016, 03:29 PM.

I'm making a fangame: Xeno: The Beyond. A space alien game about identity, conformity, isolation, and colonialism. Please help!

Comment

Idea prompt: You Cannot Trust Your Eyes (Changeling/Sin-Eater with Phantasmal Key)

Comment

Originally posted by jy3ext View Post
                                Which cycle?

The Stars Are Right (Mummy, Leviathan): Target acts as though something that was Fated has come to pass.
                                You Have Become What You Hate (Vampire, Hunter): Target begins transforming into a monster.
                                You Can (Not) Advance (Changeling, Mummy): Target is unable to achieve any kind of personal growth.
                                Doomed repetition of failure and/or action.

nWoD Warhammer Fantasy RPG,
                                WoD Wraith: The Oblivion
                                and Infernum-style Demon: The Descent, Shadows of Abaddon --> http://madnessforums.com/forums/inde...opic,26.0.html

Comment

Working...
                                X