No announcement yet.

Beast: Character Idea Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Lovecraftian Characters! Alfred De la Poer: Alfred used to be a smart guy. Sensitive, intellectual, he was however struck with a strong interest in genealogy which would prove his doom. Having served in Afghanistan, he barely survived an attack and re-evaluated his priorities. He started studying medicine and picked up genealogy, mainly because his own father (living out his life in an asylum) would never talk about his ancestors or why he left Ireland. Upon his father's death, Alfred was approached by a lawyer who broke the truth to him: he was old aristocracy! The last of a long line to be precise. His father broke with the rest of the family, thus he never found out about the tragic accident that killed most of them, and due to his situation was unable to accept the inheritance.
    This was a revelation without equal, and Alfred decided to find out more about this family of his. He went to Ireland to claim Exham Priory, the ancestral estate. Soon, the Dreams started.
    Alfred has gone batshit-insane after finding out about his late family's secrets: among every of his ancestors' generations, there was a Beast, and they all had the same Horror. The Rats are... different. They cannot be satisfied with cutting someone, or beating someone up.
    No, their Hunger is quite literal - they need to consume. As the ancient Apex, and a more than just debauched influential family, the De la Poers managed to create a cult, and a secret chamber in which they did unspeakable things to humans, until they ceased to be humans and became cattle.
    It wouldn't do for nobility to feed on their subordinates, after all.
    Alfred went crazy, and has long periods of blacking out. All he knows about that time is that the Rats indulged in their Hunger to the point of slumbering, and him having to run away and keeping a low profile. At some point, the black outs became less, but the brutality stayed the same, as Alfred adapted to his new lifestyle, even started enjoying it. Under his Horror's Tutelage, he developed quickly, and after years became a fearsome force. Many a hunter met his end at the swarm's teeth, and a few Heroes met the same fate.
    At some point, he attacked a man on the street, and started chewing his face off right then and there.
    People didn't know that it was a Hero looking to kill him, and Alfred felt justified in defending himself. But now, he has all manner of people after him: heroes, the police, unhappy Kindred, neglected cultists and other hunters.
    For all his might: his time is running out, slowly but surely, and he knows that.
    But for some reason, he doesn't really care. All he can think of is making sure those after him never find out about his illegitimate son, because the bloodline must live on...

Family: Namtaru

Hunger: Prey

Horror: Rats in the Wall.

Life: Intellectual - Chess, history debates, correcting the museum guide: Alfred loves stimuli that challenge his mind.

Legend: Devouring - Alfred takes away and consumes pieces of people, and he wants them to be aware of it.

Lair: Exham Priori, the old estate of the De la Poers. While the mundane thing is a pretty enough, albeit slightly scary place, the Lair version of it is downright sickening.
    Rotting, Diseased, Echoing, Cramped, Toxic, Maze, Poor Light, Stench, Swarm, Unstable.

Nightmares: Behold, My True Form!, Fear is Contagious, You are not alone, All your Teeth are Falling Out, Rat's Everywhere!, You cannot Run

Atavisms: Infestation, Cavernous Maw, Limb from Limb, Relentless Hunter, Basilisk's Touch, Shadowed Soul, From the Shadows

Merits: Ancient Horror 5, Fast Refleces (advanced), Fist of Nightmares, Danger Sense (advanced), Direction Sense (Advanced), Encyclopedic Knowledge (Genealogy), Epic Potential (Dexterity), Guilty Pleasure (Cannibalism), Indomitable, Iron Skin, Iron Skin (epic), Iron Will, Killer Instinct (advanced), Parkour 5, Relentless Assault 5

Next one up will be Erich Zann and/or the scary old man!

Comment

• the whole "needing to actually consume people" thing seems more like an Insatiable though

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• The Fickle Mistress: It is often difficult to please a Collector, but none are quite as vexing as the one who calls herself The Fickle Mistress. A frivolous and aloof creature, The Fickle Mistress desires something for no other reason than she does not already have it in her possession. Once she obtains the object of her desire, it quickly turns to trash in her hands, and she finds herself turning to new prospective treasures that she may add to her growing collection. Many have risen to greatness because of her, and just as many have fallen to ruin for the same reason. Once she's had her fun with them, she loses interest, causing them to suffer without her continued protection.

Her horror is a thing of great beauty and merciless cruelty. A radiant goddess who shines down from the heavens, casting a smile upon those she favors. Her presence banishes that which would see you harmed; but the second she turns her gaze elsewhere, the dangers that threaten you sense their opportunity to strike. That is when you find yourself surrounded on all sides by the evils of the world.

Her Lair is the place where all treasures go to be forgotten. Things and places which once meant the world to her now lay abandoned, falling prey to the ravages of nature as plants entangle them in a mass of crawling vines. Nothing lasts long within her realm, as decay rapidly sets in, turning even the most sparkling of treasures into rusted junk. Destructive weather conditions sweep through periodically, demolishing whatever is too brittle to remain intact any longer, and making way for new treasures to be added to the collection. And, of course, there is the celestial gleam of The Fickle Mistress that shines down from the heavens, threatening to blind those who deign to venture through her Lair unprotected.

Life: Parental - as long as The Fickle Mistress desires something (or someone), she will use everything in her power to keep them safe. Even fighting on their behalf, should they need it. Such passionate love has fooled many into believing her to be a lady of fortune, naive to the fact that everybody's luck runs out at some point.

Legend: Unexpected - when The Fickle Mistress loses interest in one of her treasures, she abandons it cold turkey, regardless of the consequences involved. To be treated with such love and kindness one moment, only to be left helpless and alone in the next has caught many victims off guard, as they were not prepared to find themselves without her aid when they needed it most.

Family: Ugallu

Hunger: Hoard

Lair: Undergrowth (vines), Blazing Light, Decayed, Hurricane

Nightmares: You will never rest, Flying and falling, You deserve this

Atavisms: Eye of Heaven, Needs Must, Basilisk's Touch, Storm-Lashed

Comment

• Donny Reynolds

Inspired by a story by Rakshasarani that is one of the creepiest damn things i have ever read. If you have issues with abusive parental figures, be warned, cause this guy is a piece of work. I would never use him as anything other than an antagonistic foil to responsibly-feeding PC Beasts, and only if I cleared it with all other players first. Anyway, tw: child abuse and here goes.

Father: Sure, most people are lucky enough to be able to say they loved their parents. But can they deny that there was at least one time in their life when they feared them? Maybe they broke a precious item and feared their wrath? Maybe you declined an invitation to a party because you were just sure they would know? Regardless of how its used, it's undeniable how much power a parent can have over a child, and a person who has power over you is someone you cannot help but fear. And how much is a parent feared when love has no place in their household?

The Father is everything you feared about your parents. He sees all, he knows all and he knows you deserve. You never know wh itat will set him off next time, only that he demands you be good boys and girls and get Daddy his newspaper quickly. His Horror is simple to imagine. Just imagine the kind of picture a small child would draw of a violently abusive father: bulging eyes, sharp teeth set in a screaming mouth, a blood-red face (turned inside out in this case) and not a trace of mercy.

The man himself though, is pathetic. Too scared to truly fulfill his calling as a Nemesis and risk prosecution, he sates his Hunger by terrorizing his step-children and their friends. Get on his bad side and he'll show you the daddy face. And if you've seen it once, you never want to see it again.

Life: Paternal - He'll tell you day in and day out that he punishes them because he loves them and wants them to grow up into productive members of society. And if that requires traumatizing them into complete compliance with his exacting standards of good behaviour, so be it.

Legend: Powerhungry - In the end though, everything else is just a pretext for the sick thrill of having power over those weaker than himself.

Family: Ugallu

Hunger: Punishment

Lair:, Unstable, Maze, Sealed Exits, Cramped (one chamber only, based on his SUV)

Nightmares: Behold My True Form, You Deserve This, You Must Obey, The Daddy Face (Kinship: Nosferatu Vampire)*

Atavisms: Looming Presence, Mimir's Wisdom, In My Image (from the forums), Dragonfire (KND references for the win, even when highly inappropriate)

*uncertain on effect, but i wanted a less-lethal but still harmful and terrifying counterpart to Behold My True Form

This is my first try at this. how did it turn out?
          Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 03-29-2017, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• Master Aquatosic That's truly a nasty piece of work. Good job!
            Don't know about Insatiables, so can't comment on that. But basically, his Horror wants to eat Prey to really be satisfied. Just a finger might do the trick when hungry, but when he's gorged...
            Similar to how some Predators need only beat up their Prey when hungry to feed, but need to break bones when sated, or outright kill them when gorged.

Comment

• So, i am trying yo create a Anakin.
              I am thinking in one that drain the power of it's victims, in other words he is not giants, he shrinks you.
              This would be reached with manipulation and psychological attacks, he would destroy your soul in a way you just lost the will to fight.
              But i don't know what would be a good Hunger to him and i don't think the atavisms in the book cover this.
              Suggestions?

I thought in a hunger, i would be a collector that collect broken dreams and lost futures, i would take a mememto of it.

About the Atavism, i would need something that brake the victim soul, maybe something that give a condition or something that take away willpower (or maybe both atavisms)

I just need to think in a lesson... Maybe that you need to care about your dreams and your destiny?

I found a monster called Baku, it's a dream eater.
              Ok, the only thing here is that they can sometimes eat all dreams (including dreams of the future)
              But it's just it.
              Maybe i should create my won horror, i want a Japanese horror... So i was thinking in a horror that would take a form of a old wise man (a hermit), he would talk to you and give advices, but if he see that you have a dream or a future opportunity that you are letting away he will eat this, destroying your dream or potential future. When he will eat your future he changes his face to a more monster like.
              Last edited by draxdeveloper; 03-07-2017, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by draxdeveloper View Post
                So, i am trying yo create a Anakin.
                I am thinking in one that drain the power of it's victims, in other words he is not giants, he shrinks you.
                This would be reached with manipulation and psychological attacks, he would destroy your soul in a way you just lost the will to fight.
                But i don't know what would be a good Hunger to him and i don't think the atavisms in the book cover this.
                Suggestions?

I thought in a hunger, i would be a collector that collect broken dreams and lost futures, i would take a mememto of it.

About the Atavism, i would need something that brake the victim soul, maybe something that give a condition or something that take away willpower (or maybe both atavisms)

I just need to think in a lesson... Maybe that you need to care about your dreams and your destiny?

I found a monster called Baku, it's a dream eater.
                Ok, the only thing here is that they can sometimes eat all dreams (including dreams of the future)
                But it's just it.
                Maybe i should create my won horror, i want a Japanese horror... So i was thinking in a horror that would take a form of a old wise man (a hermit), he would talk to you and give advices, but if he see that you have a dream or a future opportunity that you are letting away he will eat this, destroying your dream or potential future. When he will eat your future he changes his face to a more monster like.
                See.. I'd have him actually be a Collector of Heights.... I.E he doesn't Just shrink you... He Takes your Height and adds it to his own... so starting out... he's Small. but given time and several victims, he is a Giant, a Patchwork Giant of different skin tones and stances.....

But then i'm abit of a weirdo like that.

Light and Dark are two Sides of a Coin... Humanity is What Happens when it Lands on it's Edge.

Comment

• How would he do that though?

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                    How would he do that though?
                    Dreams. The 'You Are Meat' and 'All Your Teeth Are Falling Out' Nightmares. The Looming Presence Atavism. Horrors work on dream-logic. It's only when they reach into the more physical realms that they become more limited by their laws. Atavisms and Nightmares are mutable, and can represent many things. It says in the book that Nightmares can easily be reskinned. AYTAFO could easily represent shrinking, or age, or degenerative disease, or a crippling weakness that falls upon one like a tidal wave.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post

Dreams. The 'You Are Meat' and 'All Your Teeth Are Falling Out' Nightmares. The Looming Presence Atavism. Horrors work on dream-logic. It's only when they reach into the more physical realms that they become more limited by their laws. Atavisms and Nightmares are mutable, and can represent many things. It says in the book that Nightmares can easily be reskinned. AYTAFO could easily represent shrinking, or age, or degenerative disease, or a crippling weakness that falls upon one like a tidal wave.
                      Maybe he Trades with you... Or Intimidates you.. you feel yourself giving him power...and with that he takes your Size. (Or part of it) after many meetings your little more then a couple of Inches tall and part of his Collection. He doesn't need you anymore. Welcome to the Zoo.. That's the chamber he uses to store people away when he's done with them. Tall walls, tiny Furniture, housing for people.

Maybe he Challenges himself sometimes and doesn't use his collected Size sometimes, he starts out like he was... and he works for every inch. Taking what he wants, gaining it step by Step, piece by piece. Those he Collects this way... he keeps in places of honor in his gallery.

He Approaches as a Friend, gives you what you need ("Just a taste, enough to see what I can offer") helping those that need it with things that shouldn't need to deal with. Part of the fear here would be that he can give you everything you desire/need with a "Small" price... But anything worth doing/earning is worth doing it yourself. Not getting it given to you... who knows when debts given are to be paid... and what is the price of having a simple life....?

Light and Dark are two Sides of a Coin... Humanity is What Happens when it Lands on it's Edge.

Comment

• Erich Zann and the scary old man are on hold for now, cause I need to figure out some stuff there first.
                        However, here you have a simple concept that should be alright to use for an early character.
                        ArchonAres #istilllikeourconceptmore

Alexander Johnson: A rock singer touring around. He teaches a lesson of „Your loved ones are not safe (enough)“ by entering houses and cutting some resident's hair (preferably, the youngest child's), then leaving a letter including the hair and the words „I could have“ to call upon the residents' Adult Fear. He prides himself on helping these people realize the threat of break-ins before something really bad happens and improving their security drastically. He is very satisfied if his sprees lead to reduced rates of break-ins and related accidents/offences. Sometimes, he takes his sweet time by visiting the same house over a period of days and doing little things first - misplacing books, keys, furniture, turning on the tv, whispering to or even touching people when they pass him by in the dark- to 'get their attention' before his great 'lesson'. He calls it his warm-up gig. That something like this could potentially end up traumatizing doesn't enter his equation, because hey - "Nothing bad actually happened, amirit?"

Family: Eshmaki

Hunger: Ravager

Horror: The Banshee mourns the death of a family member before his time is due, making her a bad omen. Alexander tries to fulfill her desires with a twist, turning it into a warning rather than a dooming message. Usually, the Banshee is satisfied by the resident's fear of what potentially could have transpired. Sometimes, it hungers for more, though - times like these, the residents will be left devastated by loss, and the whole neighbourhood will be horrified and in mourning.

Life: Proud – Alex has always been proud of himself, of his ability, his hard work, and now, his lessons, too. Anything he does that allows him to boast freely to someone about it satisfies this cornerstone of his identity. Boasting about break-ins isn't exactly smart, though, despite how well-intentioned you may come off, and the moment someone takes the time to compare the 'strange break-ins' and his tours will most likely be a bad day for him.

Legend: Watchful - Alexander feeds by dangling the possibility of what he could have done infront of his victims, letting them fully know he could've done something. He likes seeing them squirm, even more so when he is close.

Lair: A moonlit forrest with a lake.
                        Fog, Echoing, Poor Light.

Nightmares: You are not alone, You deserve this

Atavisms: From the Shadows, Siren's Treacherous Song, Shadowed Soul

Comment

• Jaad al-Shahin: don't call him a terrorist, he gets very irritated when people use words they don't understand the proper definition of. He's actually more of a hitman, one who doesn't particularly care about collateral damages once he's been given a contract. Jaad, if you couldn't tell by his name, is a middle eastern man who has come to embody one of the urban legends of his people, the Ifrit. An incarnation of smoke and flames, the Ifrit is heralded as a spirit of vengeance, which is what Jaad has chosen to capitalize on. When somebody feels they have been wronged, they get in touch with him. They speak their grievances to him, offer the payment he requires and then turn him loose upon society. He doesn't just go after his contracted target, he goes after their supporters, their loved ones, their property and businesses. He burns everything to the ground so that nobody will dare follow in his victims footsteps. Sometimes, though, the lesson doesn't always stick; and that's when he receives yet another contract from a wounded party.

Life: Shy - Assassins typically don't go around announcing themselves to the public. If somebody needs to get in contact with them, then they should already know the proper channels for doing so.

Legend: Vicious - More than a hitman, the Ifrit is a spirit of vengeance and fiery retribution. Once a target has been designated, its punishment is spectacularly brutal in its performance. Destroying his victim's livelihood, as well as their lives in general.

Family: Namtaru

Hunger: Punishment

Horror: Pitch black smoke and fiery embers coalesced into the silhouette of a man, the Ifrit is horrifying to look upon, much less approach. Its touch leaves anything smeared with greasy black soot, assuming it doesn't burst into flames. It is unbarred by mortal security measures, for it lurks in the shadows like a wraith, emerging from the dark pits and unleashing fiery hell upon everything in sight. Then, when its work is complete, it fades into the night, leaving nothing but smoldering ashes in its wake.

Lair: Fog (smoke), Thin Air, Burning

Atavisms: Dragonfire, Shadowed Soul, Unbreakable

Nightmares: You deserve this, You can't wake up, You are not alone.

Comment

• Samantha Wade: Samantha is a young teenager that has only recently accepted her nature as one of the Begotten. Having had to suffer because she rejected her nature upon her Homecoming/Devouring at a very young age, he Horror often ran rampant, which lead to her spending a year in an asylum, under close observation of what seemed like a group of scientists that studied her (actually, docs trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with her to help). She escaped, killing all of them, and hid. After some time, she met someone who helped her accept what she is, and that she can use it for good.
                            Now, she goes after people abusing children (alcoholic fathers, pedophiles, uncaring doctors, drug pushers and gang leaders, and everything in between), often stalking them, then luring (or chasing) them into her lair. Most don't make it out again. Those who do know to stay away from children, and are often traumatized and mutilated. Her lesson seems to be„Stay away from children“, as she tells herself, but it really is „What looks helpless could still kill you“.
                            Despite her young age, Samantha is a force to be reckoned with, having been a Beast for the majority of her life.

Family: Eshmaki

Hunger: Prey

Horror: A pale, tall, gauntly-muscled humanoid with a featureless 'face' that opens like some sort of carnivorous flower, extending five petal-like mouth flaps to reveal a huge lamprey mouth.*

Life: Loyal – If Samantha considers you family, you have nothing to worry about.

Legend: Relentless – Once the Hunt is on, the prey WILL be hunted down.

Lair: A spore-infested dark Forest, and a factory basement covered in Meat Moss.
                            Darkness, Toxic, Disruption (Electronics), Echoing

Nightmares: You are not alone, All your Teeth are Falling out-reskined to You cannot Move, Bugs everywhere-reskined to Slimy Slugs Everywhere. Behold my true form- reskined to My Mind over your Matter, You cannot wake up

Atavisms: Relentless Hunter, Unbreakable, Shadowed Heart, Limb From Limb, Cyclopean Strength
                            Merits: Advanced Direction Sense

Have I been reading the TV tropes section of Stranger Things, specifically the Character Entry on the Demogorgon? Why, yes, I have, how did you know?
                            Yes, this is a poor attempt at making an 11-inspired Beast. 11 would be better as a Deviant, I know, but her close relationship with the Demogorgon, some of the kids' early suspicions and the Upside Down making an awesome version of a lair just were too temptative not to try to turn into a Beast.
                            The Atavisms are mainly meant to represent the sturdiness and danger of the Demorgon. Some Atavisms, the Nightmares and the Advanced Direction Sense merit are mostly used to re-create effects from the series: Eleven's ability to track people, her Psychokinesis to harm (Beholdmytrueform) or subdue (All your teeth are falling out) people, the Slug-thing visions, the general paranoia of something being out there, the flickering of the lights.
                            Oh, and I pieced the Demogorgon's description from lines I stole from TV Tropes. In case I wasn't clear enough on that. Always state your sources, guys! =)
                            P.S: The Demogorgon's need to go after blood was actually placed on it – it's an Anathema =P

Comment

• I'm Musing about Making Sans as a Begotten..... Afterall he does have a Hunger for Prey. And Vengance.

Comment

• Originally posted by RickmanUK View Post
                                I'm Musing about Making Sans as a Begotten..... Afterall he does have a Hunger for Prey. And Vengance.

I thought he had a hunger for ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                                X