No announcement yet.

Beast: Character Idea Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really a character concept, but I feel a really great Beast story could be made out of "The Dragon of Mordiford" (Also known as "Maud and the Wyvern"). A wyvern hatchling (In this case a proto-Beast, probably a troubled child) is befriended by a girl named Maud. In spite of her parents ordering her to keep away from it, Maud still visits the wyvern in the woods- feeding it, playing with it, cuddling, etc. That is, until the wyvern fully matures. (Homecoming. Ugallu Predator) The wyvern feasts on sheep and cattle, destroying anyone or anything in its way except for Maud. She stubbornly stayed with the wyvern, trying to get it to turn its attentions elsewhere, and while it wouldn't hurt her, no one else was safe. One day, a knight shows up (Experienced Hero) and kills the beast with contemptuous ease- even as Maud pelts him with rocks in an effort to turn him aside. After the wyvern dies, and the Hero marches off to claim his reward, bewildered as to why she's not thanking him, she throws herself over the corpse and sobs inconsolably.

When I was a child, this story really struck me. I still was in a 'black and white' frame of mind, and so I wanted to side with the knight- but because the story was about Maud, and not him, I was still sad when the wyvern was killed. I knew it was a monster. I knew it was killing people, destroying their farms, but I didn't want it to die because Maud showed there was some good in it. And when it did die, I was upset instead of relieved, which is terribly confusing to a five year old who just wanted to read a story about a dragon.

In my opinion, the character you could get out of this is a mortal who was childhood friends with the Beast, and never abandoned them- no matter how monstrous and inhuman they became. They could enter the Beast's Lair at will, bring out the best in it, and are utterly determined in their pursuit to change them, even if it seems futile. The story of the Dragon of Mordiford isn't about the knight or the wyvern- it's about the little girl.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

A famous, high-profile actor who takes up cannibalism to feed his Hunger for Prey.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

I made an Ugallu Nemesis who can be summed up in a single sentence as "Kenshiro with a PHD."

Comment

So, this isn't a character idea, but an example of something I've run into while playtesting both Beast and Hurt Locker Material in my PbP game.

Luke is a Makara Predator with Strength 3 and Brawl 5 (Grappling Specialty). He is attacking a Hero after being dealt 5 Aggravated Damage by a Bane Weapon (a fishing gaff-hook)

In this attack, Luke is using the Clinching Strike Merit, Ground and Pound Merit, Limb from Limb Atavism and Monster From the Deep Atavism. He started with 5 Satiety.

Luke Chetty rolled 5 successes using 10d10 with the World of Darkness nWoD system with a target of 8, rerolling on 9 or more with rolls of 2,9(+8),6,6,2,9(+10,3),8,3,3,3. Strength + Brawl (Asset Skill) + Specialty (Brawl) + WP (Grapple) - 2 (Wound Modifiers).
          Luke Chetty rolled 4 successes using 7d10 with the World of Darkness nWoD system with a target of 8, rerolling on 9 or more with rolls of 8,9(+5),3,10(+7),8,5,1. Rote Action (Ground and Pound).

It turns out that is enough to do 28 AGGRAVATED DAMAGE in a single attack. Cause the Arm Wrack Tilt and Knockdown Tilt.

Here is the breakdown of that damage.:
          • Limb from Limb does Arm Wrack or Leg Wrack Tilt on an attack that does more damage than the victims Stamina.
          • Spending Satiety on Limb from Limb causes the attack to do Aggravated Damage. (Reflexive Action)
          • Spending Satiety on Monster from the Deep makes the attack ignore Defense and can attack all enemies within Lair x2 yards. It also adds Lair to Weapon damage. (Reflexive Action) 1 Lair = 1 Aggravated Damage Weapon Modifier.
          • Low Satiety on Monster from the Deep makes Unarmed Attacks 2L and causes the Knocked Down Tilt on a successful attack. Now 3 Aggravated Weapon Modifier.
          • The Clinch Strike Merit inflicts standard Brawl damage when initiating a grapple instead of sacrificing the opportunity to damage someone in order to grab. (Instant Action) (8 Aggravated Damage)
          • Exceptional Success on the Grapple allows 1 Maneuver on a grapple [Damage Move] (8 Aggravated Damage)
          • Makara Birthright allows 1 Maneuver on a Grapple [Damage Move] (8 Aggravated Damage)
          • Ground and Pound Merit: When using Brawl to strike or inflict the Damage grappling maneuver on a prone opponent, you may declare your character uses this maneuver. You gains the Rote benefit (re-roll failed dice) to your attack, but automatically fall prone, and if grappled, your opponent automatically breaks free. (4 additional Aggravated Damage)
          I'm guessing the Devs aren't expecting a base character (0XP) to be able to do 28 Aggravated Damage on a 5 Success Grapple Attack?

What do you guys think?

Comment

I don't know if they expected anybody to stack all that stuff together.

Comment

Well if both go to print as is, then there is nothing stopping a player from using them as written.

That's why I am bringing it up.

Comment

You are using two playtest documents together. That's bound to cause problems.

That said, I don't think your math is right.
                • Limb from Limb inflcits the Arm or Leg Wrack Tilts
                • Limb from Limb Low Satiety Expenditure makes it Aggravaged.
                • Limb from Limb sets the damage to 1L.
                • Terror from the deep's Low Satiety option sets the damage to 2L. This does not stack with the above, but the player would get to choose which applies.
                • Clinch Strike should not stack with the Damage Move in a grapple. If it does, that's a problem. But okay, we're at 7A for the first attack.
                • Exceptional Success allows you to pick a move. Damage move is acceptable. +7A, for 14A total.
                • You can't select the Damage move twice. It allows you to select an additional move, not the same move multiple times. Still at 14A.
                • The target isn't prone until after your action's conclusion, so this wouldn't apply.
                An aside, since you spend Satiety consecutively and not simultaniously, you'd have to start at 4 Satiety or less, not 5 or less, to pull this off.

So we have 14A damage, which is still obscene. The culprit is Clinch Strike which shouldn't be allowed to stack with the Damage grapple maneuver. There is a basic design principle that says no multiple attacks against the same target, so anything that allows you to get multiple attacks is obviously an error. That said, spending 2 Satiety is a pretty big deal. There is a Nightmare that lets you inflict +2L damage per Satiety expended, which can get deep into one-shot territory.

As for whether 7A damage can be a problem... Joe Standard Mortal with STR 2, Brawl 5 (Grapple), Professional Training [Brawl] 5, Street Fighting 3, Cheap Shot 2, and 2L weapon can get pretty close to matching that damage output. It'll deal Lethal instead of Aggravated damage and won't inflict the Arm Wrack (though it will inflict Knockdown). So a combat-focused Beast is slightly better than a combat focused mortal. Functioning as intended, I'd say.
                Last edited by SoulGambit; 06-19-2015, 02:45 PM.

Comment

I agree with the principle that says Clinch Strike, Damage Move and Damage Move shouldn't stack, but there is nowhere in any of the texts that says that. Since it's technically 1 Attack with 3 Damage outputs, it's not 'multiple attacks' in the normal sense of it.

You can't select the Damage move twice. It allows you to select an additional move, not the same move multiple times.
                  Where does it say you can't choose the same move twice? Not that I don't agree with you, but where is it stated that you 'must' choose 2 separate moves in a grapple with an Exceptional Success?

An aside, since you spend Satiety consecutively and not simultaniously, you'd have to start at 4 Satiety or less, not 5 or less, to pull this off.
                  Limb from Limb Satiety Expenditure is the first one used, bringing Satiety from 5 to 4. Monster from the Deep is the second one used, bringing Satiety from 4 to 3 (Low Satiety Threshold) which allows all 3 versions of Monster from the Deep.

Another thing to consider is that the Character has the Systema (Style) at 3 dots, which allows the Knockdown Move, so he could use Ground and Pound on the second Damage Move (which would add 4 more Damage)
                  Last edited by Ninjar; 06-19-2015, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Clinch Strike is under playtest. 1 Attack with 3 Damage Outputs is functionally the same as multiple attacks, for balance purposes.

The wording of the ability precludes selecting the same move multiple times. It's even clarified in parenthesis. "When using grappling attacks, a Makara chooses one additional move, including during the turn when she initiates it (so one move when initiating a grapple, two for an exceptional success). Grappling is described on p. XX."

You have Set (A, B, C, D, E). I tell you to select one thing from that Set. Lets say you pick A. If I had told you to select two things from that set or to select one additional thing, most people would not interpret that as you being able to select A twice. That isn't "additional" or "selecting two things."

That said, I think we are getting pretty off topic. You should make a new thread if you want to discuss balance concerns, I think. This thread is for interesting Beast Character Concepts.

Comment

That Homeless Guy - Ugallu who wonders the streets of the upper class homes going through their trash for food. Late at night he awakens those who have domestics troubles, abusive spouses and cheating love ones, staring into their souls bringing what they thought they could hide to the surface. motionless he waits for them to react to his stair feeding on their panic "who is this guy, What does he know". Sometimes he even breaks into homes and leaves messages for the guilty.

Like the Sun I am relentless even in death...

Comment

Tyler Durden, an Eshmaki Nemesis with lots of Social and Fighting Style Merits, that hungers for bring low the socially powerful. Definitely rocking high Mystery Cult and multiple Professional Training and Alternate Identities, and Nightmares revolving in making the prey feel powerless. Also, definitely starting with Limb from Limb and Undersea Creature(?).

Crunch isn't a hobby; it's a calling.

Comment

Originally posted by Hexmeister Vic View Post
                          Tyler Durden, an Eshmaki Nemesis with lots of Social and Fighting Style Merits, that hungers for bring low the socially powerful. Definitely rocking high Mystery Cult and multiple Professional Training and Alternate Identities, and Nightmares revolving in making the prey feel powerless. Also, definitely starting with Limb from Limb and Undersea Creature(?).
                          Cameron Frye, whose Horror is a Tyrant that feeds on the the power that comes with basically owning the souls of everybody he knows.

Comment

Caution, a Raptor Nemesis whose Kinship with the spirit courts of the city intersections has led to an upswing in predatory behavior by the local Car Descants.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

The great leech of Tlanusi'yi (a giant leech from Cherokee legend), would be a great horror for a Namtaru or Makara (the leech is said to live in the caves beneath the Hiwassee river) Predator that terrorizes tourists in and around Murphy North Carolina (where the leech is said to live).

Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

Three-headed draconic Anakim Tyrant that uses Smaug-esque persuasion to tie people in a Gordian knot of paranoia and suspicion before sweeping in and sorting everything out, making everyone dependant on him in the process, without them ever noticing. Inspired by The Dragon, a play by Evgeny Schwartz

Comment

Working...
                                X