Beast: Character Idea Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
    Hmmn just thought, would a Drug Dealer, Pimp, gangster or prostitute work for a Hero?
    All of the above, so long as they can justify why they're still doing what they're doing. Justification is the heart of the antagonistic Hero. Of course, the justification doesn't have to be especially mystical. It could be something as simple as 'the gang will kill me if I try to leave, and then I won't be able to bring down the monsters'.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

• The Survivalist - Namtaru Tyrant
      Jonathan Monroe is everything Bear Grylls would like to be when it comes to Survival: no matter where he is dropped off, this guy manages to come through. Expeditions to the Antarctic, the Jungle, the Desert? Been there, done that. He was not well known, however, since he went as far as living completely on his own in the woods for a few years. Recognition was not what he was after: being self-reliant, and enjoying the world, and making sure he can last long, was what he was about. And that was before his Devouring.
      Now, with his soul a swarm of buzzing, hungry scarabs, the man managed to make friends with honest-to-goodness Ancient Mummies. Monroe is even a honorary member in one such illustrious group, with certain responsibilities but also rights. He helps his friend with the memory problem, but has to admit he is very curious about the ability to return from the dead. Might there be a way to get something similar for himself?
      He is traveling, but ever since, the desert stayed a special splace for him.
      Jonathan needs to feed this new hunger, though, and what better way than to put people into situations where he as a guide is no longer available, where they are forced to do something they think is ugly or disgusting to survive? Realizing their dependence on someone else, the fear of facing a situation one is not equipped to handle wakes people up to the fact that they are not fit to live on their own. That satisfies the Beast's desire to teach a lesson. Them realizing they are capable of things they would otherwise recoil from in revulsion, that satisfies the Namtaru desire to revolt and disgust. People also begrudingly admiring Jonathan for his abilities and superiority, that satisfies the Tyrant in him. And so, the Beast feeds on his customers every once in a while - preppers, survivalists, survivalist-wannabes, soldiers, hunters and city people wanting a taste of adventure.

Becoming better at survival in any meaning of the word, that satisfies all of him. After all, this Beast wants to last as long as he can in this dangerous, beautiful world...

Horror: Swarm of Scarabs
      Lair: A desert scene, with "burning sand", a blinding sun, the disgusting stench of carrion, and slithering snakes. One of his chambers is a street corner in NYC, with the street lights being on fire, the windows reflecting the desert sun, snakes hanging from street signs and dead and dying pets laying on the wayside filling the air with a horrible smell of decay. One cave in Peru is also a tomb, a strange mix of jungle and Sahara, with burning sand trickling down from above, illuminating the cave-tomb.
      Lair Traits: Blazing Light, Stench, Burning, Noxious Gases
      Atavisms: Infestation, Looming Presence, Relentless Hunter, Unbreakable, Shadowed Soul, Storm-Lashed, Wings of the Raptor
      Nightmares: Run Away!, Fear is Infectious
      Merits: Epic Potential (Stamina), Epic Orientation, Hardy, Survivalist, Eidetic Memory, Advanced Danger Sense, Encyclopedic Knowledge (Poisonous plants), Advanced Fast Reflexes, Hunger Management, Trained Observer, Patient.

Jonathan is geared towards surviving, as can be seen. With Infestation and Unbreakable alone, incoming damage is highly reduced unless Aggravated, especially when spending satiety, and Relentless Hunter and Looming Presence (+Epic Potential Stamina) only increase this resilience. Shadowed Soul gives him a way to outright evade notice or damage, and helps with vision in dark places. Storm-Lashed helps with weathering the weather, Wings of the Raptor with unwelcoming terrain. Storm-Lashed and Wings of the Raptor help with inflicting a debuff/Tilt like Knockdown and escaping. Which is needed, since he has little abilitites when it comes to DEALING damage - Jonathan wants to teach people about themselves, about their reliance on others. Once they are aware of that, they need to decide for themselves in how far they want to change that or adapt to that. He has no interest in causing physical harm directly.
      His Nightmares are similarly meant to make people freak out (so they end up in troublesome situations) and/or leave him alone (Looming Presence helps here, too).
      In his chosen field, his Training makes him good (Hardy, Survivalist), which is only enhanced with his new abilities (Looming Presence for more Stamina on rolls, Relentless Hunter against Fatigue, Toxic for Poisons, Infestation for movement/lack of air, Stench/Noxious Gases for resilience against that, Epic Orientation to find his way at all times + improve his tracking)
      Of course, he can call down Lightning Bolts with Storm-Lashed, and even a vicious sand storm if he spends the Satiety.

Jonathan has goals, despite having come a long way: He wants to become even more resilient (Iron Skin Merits), but even more important to him is to master the art of Parkour! After all, free movement is a thing with him, and there are situations where turning into a bunch of scarabs is not the approrpriate response. He is also looking for ways to steel his mind: being part of a cult makes it necessary to be able to hold a conversation, not something he is very accostumed to. Being able to stand his ground here is important, even more so considering the mind-bending abilities of some of his cousins (Iron Will and Indomitable). Finally, while not interested in inheritance, really, he is looking for a way to extend his time on this earth - The Descent seems to be his best bet so far. Studying Irem's culture (he relies on his Mummy friend for this) might help with that. Making Friends with Shamans might not be a bad call, either.
      Essentially, he searches for a form of immortality - Reinkarnation, to be exact. After all, he was the Scarabs. And the Scarab was the symbol of rebirth.

Comment

• I feel like the survivalist would be better suited as a Makara, as I imagine their primordial fear to be that of somebody being immersed in an environment they aren't adapted to. Traditionally being a human dropped in the middle of the ocean, but more modern interpretations allow for other sorts of environments, such as the desert. (ooh, a giant scarab that burrows amidst the sand dunes!)

Also, Namtaru do not desire to revolt and disgust people, they are inherently disgusting to be in the presence of. The Namtaru merely figured out how to weaponize that revulsion and make it a part of their horror. A Namtaru would be more appropriate to a survival game show in which they make people compete in gross out challenges.
        Last edited by Nyrufa; 08-30-2017, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
          I feel like the survivalist would be better suited as a Makara, as I imagine their primordial fear to be that of somebody being immersed in an environment they aren't adapted to. Traditionally being a human dropped in the middle of the ocean, but more modern interpretations allow for other sorts of environments, such as the desert. (ooh, a giant scarab that burrows amidst the sand dunes!)

Also, Namtaru do not desire to revolt and disgust people, they are inherently disgusting to be in the presence of. The Namtaru merely figured out how to weaponize that revulsion and make it a part of their horror. A Namtaru would be more appropriate to a survival game show in which they make people compete in gross out challenges.
          Hum, good point. Would also go better with the quest for knowledge. Hm...
          No Makara Atavism fits him well, really, though. Maybe a refluffed Heart of the Desert? An ability to 'swim' in sand instead of breathing in water, and instead of destruction by water, it is destruction by Sandblasting?

Another Idea: Disney Princesses as Beasts! Or rather, characters similar to and derived from Disney princesses =D
          We had that already, e.g. posted images in the inspiration thread, but still:

Mulan:
          A Dragon Horror. Mushu in Scary, basically. Challenging Societal norms, proving women to be as capable as men. Does so by hiding among men. Eshmaki Tyrant?
          Has Cyclopean Strength and Dragonbreath. Has the Poor Light and Burning Lair Traits, where the latter is realized through massive fireworks explosions.

Merida:
          Considering the prominence of Bearification, a big-ass bear like Mor'du as a Horror seems fitting. For added Horror, and due to the Freedom theme and association with birds, let's give that Bear WINGS. Ugallu Tyrant, proving herself above tradition and rules, and the equal to any guy.
          Eye of Heaven and Needs Must are Atavisms that would be fitting (and helpful with bow shooting), though she is also an excellent climber and has Wings of the Raptor.
          Her Lair includes the traits Mirage (Will-O-Wisps), Exposed and Poor Light, and her lair is a cave on top of the mountain she climbed to drink straight from the waterfall.

Ariel:
          Doubtlessly a Mermaid Horror. Makara for sure, with Alien Allure. Challenges the Racism of her people. Collector of all things human (from shipwrecks, though), so Makara Collector imo.
          Has Storm-Lashed, as she creates the storms that wreck ships, and Alien Allure to befriend the survivors as newest additions to her collection.
          Electrified, Decayed, Flooded, Downpour and Hurricane make for a horrible lair, that is meant to destroy and take down ships to the bottom of her sea.
          Also, probably has Heart of the Ocean and/or Suffocating.

Alice (yes, would make an excellent Changeling, still):
          Cheshire Cat is her Horror, and she focuses much more on Nightmares than the others. Among them, causing unrational fear (They are all around you, Cursed-Object-Nightmare), Loss of Memory and Identity Crisis (Tabula Rasa, You are an Imposter), a Time-stretching nightmare that makes minutes feel like an eternity, a sudden loss of and inability to comprehend sociatal rules and norms, and a nightmare that reduces mental understanding, so that even simple tasks look like ridiculous, illogical puzzles. She does, however, have Looming Presence, and From the Shadows. An Eshmaki Ravager that endulges in creating chaos, be it the Queen of Hearts' games or a public press conference: she loves causing a panic. Favored Traits include Mirages, Cramped, Sealed Exits and Crushing.

Tarzan (also works as a changeling):
          Has a giant Gorilla as his Horror, and as Anakim Nemesis punishes people that attack his family/friends mostly. Looming Presence and Cyclopean Strength, lair traits are slick, undergrowth, toxic and disruption to resemble a Jungle.

Snow White:
          Anakim Tyrant with Infestation and Alien Allure. Her Horror is a group of seven deadly dwarves. Focuses on being the most pretty person around. For added fun, Siren's Treacherous Song if anyone tries to challenge her to a sing-off - or a hero tries to get too close.
          Her Lair is actually the mines in which the dwarves toil away, with Cramped, Darkness and Jagged as Lair Traits.

Tiana:
          Voodoo-styled giant humanoid frog as her Horror, this Namtaru Nemesis protects her chosen spot - her cafe - from anything. Limb from Limb and Monster from the Deep are very helpful in that regard. Flooded and Slick represent the swamp, Razored the giant alligator.

Dr. Facilier (works better as a Demon, but here goes):
          Eshmaki Collector with his shadow being his Horror. Teaches people to value what they have. Uses nightmares to create ming-bogging effects where people believe they are attractive or a frog. From the Shadows and Shadowed Soul are his Atavisms. His Lair is a the Other Side (him being 'beaten' is him retreating after having taught his lesson) with Darkness, Mirage and Currents as Lair Traits (Currents manifest as those spirits pulling on you).

Belle:
          A Anakim Predator, The Beast is her Horror, obviously, the Castle her Lair. Despite Limb from Limb and Cyclopean Strenght, she relies more on Mimir's Wisdom and her Lair traits to harm her prey.
          Jagged, Engulfment, Closed Exits and Mirages (essentially, the animated furniture of the castle) soften the targets before she finishes them.

Pocahontas:
          A speaking wooden tree as her horror, this Eshmaki Nemesis is basically an eco-terrorist. With Witchwood, Storm-Lashed and Wings of the Raptors, she is fairly capable of causing quite some mayhem. Her Traits of Undergrowth, Flooded, Crosswinds and Hurricane support it further.

Comment

• The Heart of the Desert take sounds pretty cool, actually.

I wouldn't call Mulan a tyrant, as she didn't really do anything tyrannical during her story. She'd probably be a nemesis, given that she joined the military to help drive back the Mongolians, who were invading China at the time. She also buried their forces under an avalanche, pretty much leaving them to a slow, gruesome death.

As for Ariel, I agree, she's a Makara. It comes back to my point of being immersed in an environment you have no idea how to survive in. Ariel is pretty god damn oblivious to the ways of humans, after all.

I'm not going to say the Cheshire cat isn't a possibility for Alice (especially not after American McGee), but you might say that the Mad Hatter also works. If we take the "6 impossible things" and apply it to the Hatter's mindless babbling during tea time. As for her horror, she is definitely a Makara. She didn't just peek behind the looking glass, she dove right into it!

As for Snow White, I have to say she's Namtaru. Don't forget that not all gorgons are hideous and vile. Some are actually quite attractive and charismatic. The important thing is that they invoke an emotional response from those around them. In her case, the queen was overcome with maddened jealousy, the woodsman couldn't bring himself to slay her, despite it being a direct order from the queen herself, and the dwarves were practically falling over themselves to earn her affections when she showed up. Men want her, women want to be her, and there are many ways she can exploit that in order to feed her hunger.

Last edited by Nyrufa; 08-31-2017, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• Thanks!

I originally had Snow White as Namtaru, actually! Don't know why I changed that. I guess the revulsion part, since it is not quite clearcut that anything other than revulsion is their thing from the write-up. So what is revolting about Snow White? How about how she makes everyone go along with her every want and need? And she doesn't force them; she makes them want to do so.

I like Alice as Makara better, I admit. Didn't occur to me then but it's perfect.

Mulan was tricky, as I hadn't seen the movie in ages and didn't look anything up. So yeah. Forgot about the avalanche even. Blizzard as a Trait would befitting to include that...

Comment

• I came across an idea while talking to Wormwood: A collector who collects broken bits and pieces of Infrastructure. Seems like a fun setup for accidently turning your lair into infrastructure!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
                  Thanks!

I originally had Snow White as Namtaru, actually! Don't know why I changed that. I guess the revulsion part, since it is not quite clearcut that anything other than revulsion is their thing from the write-up. So what is revolting about Snow White? How about how she makes everyone go along with her every want and need? And she doesn't force them; she makes them want to do so.

I like Alice as Makara better, I admit. Didn't occur to me then but it's perfect.

Mulan was tricky, as I hadn't seen the movie in ages and didn't look anything up. So yeah. Forgot about the avalanche even. Blizzard as a Trait would befitting to include that...

I thought there was a part in the write up saying they didn't have to be ugly. They just had to make people feel uncomfortable, such as making the queen feel envious that she wasn't as beautiful as Snow White.

Plus, she's supposed to be 14 in that movie... meaning that the Prince is either a hell of a lot younger than he looks, or he's a pedophile... same goes with those dwarves!

As for making people want to go along with her, then yes, there is massive potential for her to be a Namtaru if you use that correctly. I would like to point out Rick Sanchez as evidence of how to do that properly...

Comment

• Description: [LEGION] is a clan legendary in the hacking community for not only holding back doors into the computer systems of over a dozen multinational corporations and more than a few governments - and proving that those back doors exist, as well - but also for never having had even one of their identities exposed. Even more legendary, though, is their leader, a programmer who goes only by Aleph. Aleph is said to have been at the head of every major hack ever carried out by [LEGION], to have conquered the systems of more than a dozen nations and to have been employed by twice as many, although every such tale also includes their 'price' - a lingering program they insert into the systems of their employers, just in case they try to pull something.

In reality, Aleph is not only a master hacker and programmer but also a powerful Beast. He has not yet undergone Incarnation - he is loath to leave behind the friends he's made, both in his brood and in [LEGION] - but he knows that he could. Paraplegic in the 'real' world, Aleph spends far more time using his Ghost In The Machine Atavism to explore the internet, a datascape which, to him, at least as magnificent as reality.

Aleph also holds kinship with a Free Council techno-shaman, who introduced him to the Shadow and its denizens. Following this discovery, Aleph swiftly gathered a following of the data-wraiths that inhabit his 'sanctum sanctorum', a penthouse suite paid for with penny-shaved money and which is equipped with the very best in information technology. He offers these spirits a haven within his Lair in exchange for their aid and, if necessary, defense.

Family: Ugallu

Hunger: Tyrant - Aleph satisfies his hunger with his hacking, making sure that his victims know precisely who got into their system and what he could have done. They should be glad that he only stole some of their money instead of all of it, and should take his attack as a heads-up to tighten their security. It's not that it'll stop him, but if they make a good show on his return visit he'll leave them alone unless they bring themselves to his attention. If they don't, well. That's the price you pay in this digitized world.

Horror: Aleph's Horror is a code-dragon within the cyberspace of its lair, its every feather-scale a polygon scintillating with viruses and firewalls both. Its exact appearance varies from moment. A frill of horns expands behind its head in an intimidation display when it roars, only to shift into a sleek, smooth neck as the creature dives in to bite.

Lair: Aleph's Lair appears at first glance to be a classical dragon's lair - a vast mountain, within which a labyrinth of tunnels connect the Chambers to the Heart. As you ascend through the guts of the mountains, though, you begin to realize that everything is not as it seems. Those aren't vines, they're cables. Holograms conceal hidden traps and dangers. Those aren't shiny crystals in the ceiling, they're cameras. Technology rebels against its users. If an intruder survives the innards of the mountain and its guardians - data-spirits who are more than happy to possess the animatronic monsters scattered around the Lair - the Heart is a pristine server-farm, all blue lights and white surfaces. The temperature is frigid, just perfect for computers.

Lair Traits: Extreme Cold, Maze, Disruption, Mirages, Exposed, Sealed Exits, Poor Lighting

Atavisms: Eyes of the Heavens, Ghost in the Machine, Basilisk's Touch, Unbreakable, Looming Presence, Needs Must, Ten Thousand Faces, Wings of the Raptor

Nightmares: You Are Not Alone, You Must Obey, Everything You Do Is Worthless, Fear is Contagious, They Are All Around You, You Will Never Rest

Comment

• Description: Claudia Hopf is a simple woman and her life was largely uneventful. Raised by devout Christian medical doctors, she was taught from a young age about the trade of healing and the virtuous path. As much as she tried her very best to be a good professional, she was the least loved among her three sisters for her lack of social grace and perfunctory adherence to Christianity. Her Devouring came on the night she gained a prize for academic excellence in dentistry which failed to get so much as a smile from her parents. Full of bitterness and disgust, she retreated deep into her dreams, where she met her Horror. She would try her best to feed its dozens of gnashing maws with pile after pile of exquisite food and grandiose praise, only for it to demand more. Just when she was about to break down from exhaustion, she screamed in defiance and leaped at the Horror’s slimy, bloated form and exchanged blows with it until the Devouring was complete. From that night onward, she never again allowed her worth to be defined by others or used sweet words when brutal honesty was necessary.

Family: Namtaru

Legend: Judgmental

Life: Parental

Hunger: Tyrant – Claudia gains Satiety not just by scaring people straight when it comes to oral hygiene, but also by taking away the metaphorical sweetness out of their mouths. She is a good listener despite her rough exterior, and is more than capable of being fully honest with patients who are being too naïve or smarmy. She wasted many years being a sweetheart and had little to show for it, so she tries to show people that there is a time for being blunt.

Horror: A garish, rainbow colored blob of syrup covered in fanged maws of hardened sugar. Many elephant-like feet are formed and then absorbed noisily as it quickly and messily crawls around, its massive form heaving and sloshing. What passes for its head is a luminous pyramid made of the same substance as the fangs. Around the head is a halo of flying bugs that serve as sensory and communicative organs. Many polymorphic appendages extend from just above the feet, clicking and dripping. Its stomach is transparent, and a hideous mess of alien organs can be seen producing an endless flow of liquid and solid treats that are excreted and replaced like the teeth of a shark.

Lair: An obese wonderland of the most decadent level, where every piece of the landscape is edible and delicious to the point of being addictive. Rivers of honey, mountains of chocolate and forests of chewing gum and a dozen other painfully inviting sights go as far as the eye can see. There is no sun, stars or moon, for the whole sky is covered in titanic clouds of flying bugs, leaving the rare glowing fauna and flora as the only sources of light. This is where people are brought to understand precisely why too much sugar is bad for their health or grow enough of a backbone to stand up to the foul Horror.

Lair Traits: Poor Light, Sealed Exits, Swarms, Exposed, Wondrous, Viscous

Atavisms: Alien Allure, Basilisk’s Touch, Eye Of Heaven, Infestation, Limb From Limb, Looming Presence, Mimir’s Wisdom, Needs Must, Relentless Hunter

Nightmares: All Your Teeth Are Falling Out, Behold My True Form, Bugs Everywhere, We Know All Your Secrets, You Must Obey

Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 09-03-2017, 11:06 PM.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

• 2 more ideas based on occupations associated with Fear

INS agent, KNOW this is political

not sure what he can teach other then "Dont come into the country uninvited"

And Repossesion.

Which can teach "Pay your bills in a timely manner!"

Comment

• Dragon Fire + Wings of the Raptor + Relentless Hunter + Infestation + Looming Presence

Somebody have fun with that....

Comment

• Does it have to be fire-based, or can it some sort of mod of dragonfire?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Two connected character ideas, both possibly Incarnate or close just to have the power level needed. Very crossover-heavy and inspired by Beasts' effect on the Hedge

An Eshmaki Collector who does the ludicrously dangerous job of stealing Changelings from Arcadia. His hoard is the support network of Changeling Kin he puts together from the survivors. He will definitely need from the shadows. He teaches the lesson that people are not toys.

And his darker counterpart, an Ugallu Nemesis based off the dark truth that True Fae are kin too. Basically, he's a privateer who punishes Changelings for breaking the pacts they made with the True Fae by escaping. He teaches other people the lessons of "stick to your word" and "don't mess with the fae world in the first place"

Have I mentioned I love making evil Nemesis Beasts?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                                Does it have to be fire-based, or can it some sort of mod of dragonfire?
                                It could be plasma, focused solar energy, laser beams, with a little reskinning it could work for shooting lightning or an entropic breath.

Comment

Working...
                                X