Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
    I love him, great character!
    Thanks! He's based off a short story I wrote for a friend a long time ago. ^^

nWoD Warhammer Fantasy RPG,
    WoD Wraith: The Oblivion
    and Infernum-style Demon: The Descent, Shadows of Abaddon --> http://madnessforums.com/forums/inde...opic,26.0.html

Comment

• I was doing some spring cleaning of my PC and found a write-up of a NPC I mentioned here. It's been a while since I wrote her and I'm not so sure if she's good after all this time, but I might as well share it by now.

She plays with the "genetic horror" tropes, half Parasite Eve, half AC's genetic memory, via Beast setting. Her Nightmare is a riff on Lovecraftian paranoia, hopefully removed enough from unfortunate implications and more focused on "there's something wrong with your family heritage and its suddenly showing". But yes, it's pretty much meant to cause the target to go all "Rats in the Walls" on those around them and the Nightmare's description is styled along those lines (with a bit of purple prose for that very reason). She's not a nice character, but can be used as NPC of dubious allegiance with ease.

- Anita Rizzo

Anita Rizzo, a Makara Collector, works as biologist in a renowned laboratory. She prefers to work alone and it's not the sort of person that socializes with the colleagues, but no one can deny that the few results she decides to share are often ground-breaking. What they don’t know is that Anita hoards vials of blood of people she find interesting or peculiar, no regards of their consent. Sometimes she obtains it by inviting people to her lab and even paying for a donation, but she has assaulted people before, taking them by surprise and running away after obtaining a vial of blood. She is especially fond of the blood of other monster and people exposed to the supernatural, but Anita's reasons go beyond her Hunger. By analyzing their blood, the one of those touched by the Primordial Dream more than the others, the brilliant Begotten scientist is trying to discover a trace of the Dark Mother hidden inside it, hoping to find some sort of revelation that will lead her to the Mitochondrial Eve of Fear. While nobody has succeeded in a similar feat before, that does not stop Anita from trying.

Anita is a young woman in her thirties, tall and slim to the point of being gaunt. While working, Anita is attentive and precise, methodically following her own strict rules and writing down everything. Her dedication to order and efficiency is reflected by her appearance, which is always sterilely impeccable. Other scientist are somewhat intimidated by Anita, which on her part avoids to talk with them unless necessary. When that happens, Anita actually is calm and well-mannered, but one can tell she’d rather be elsewhere. Even with the several vampires she has a Kinship with, Anita is cold and detached, fearing that any distraction or not professional involvement might become a setback for her research.

Anita's Lair is an ocean made of blood, eerily clear enough to see perfectly through the “water”. There's no surface in sight and whatever hidden sun shines its light in the ocean, it cannot be seen. The blood distorts everything, covering all in a reddish ting. Once deep enough, the skeletons of titanical beasts begin to appear. Floating inside the gore the deeper ones, the more numerous and bigger they become. Those attentive enough might even manage hear a distant beat, like a heart calling from the abyss. By following it, it eventually leads to a seafloor made of bone. Inside its chasms, the Heart of the Lair, both literally and figuratively, is waiting.

Her Horror is to classical sirens what fish living close to the surface are to the creatures from the lightless abyss. Slender, vicious, the hairless monstrosity is covered in cartilage protrusions and its visage has nothing in common with a human face. No mouth, no nose, no humanity: just a pair of wide, soulless milky eyes. It usually feed with the lamprey mouths located on her four clawed hands or by piercing the body of her victims with the retractable bone proboscis she can grow from her arm, draining the blood avidly.

Legend: Ravenous. Anita hides it well, but when she wants something she’ll do everything to obtain it no matter what. At first she might try to find a peaceful and reasonable compromise but, if that does not work, Anita will lie, deceive and even harm those who won’t let her have her way
      Life: Meticulous. All aspects of Anita’s wife are perfectly organized and she prepares every move accurately. She can’t stand elements of disturbance and she quickly sets straight all that does not fit her plans.
      Family: Makara
      Hunger: Hoard
      Horror: Vampiric Siren
      Mental Attributes: Intelligence 6, Wits 3, Resolve 4
      Physical Attributes: Strength 2, Dexterity 3, Stamina 3
      Social Attributes: Presence 2, Manipulation 2, Composure 4
      Mental Skills: Academics 4 (Genealogy), Computer 3, Craft 2, Investigation 4 (Lab Work), Medicine 5, Occult 3 (Supernatural Lineages), Science 5 (Hematology)
      Physical Skills:Athletics 1, Brawl 2, Larceny 3 (Breaking In), Stealth 3 (Assault), Weaponry 2
      Social Skills: Animal Ken 1, Expression 1, Intimidation 2, Persuasion 1, Streetwise 1, Subterfuge 3
      Merits: Area of Expertise (Hematology), Common Sense, Contacts (Local Vampires), Double Jointed, Double Jointed (Advanced), Eidetic Memory, Encyclopedic Knowledge (Science), Epic Potential (Intelligence), Fast Reflexes 1, Good Time Management, Killer Instinct 2, Library 3 (Science), Resources 3, Status 3 (Scientific Community), Trained Observer
      Atavisms:From The Shadows, Heart Of The Ocean, Limb From Limb, Relentless Hunter, Siren’s Treacherous Song
      Nightmares: All Your Teeth Are Falling Out, Fear Is Contagious, You Are Alone, You Cannot Run, You Are Infected, It’s In Your Blood (see below) Willpower:7
      Lair: 4 (Currents, Poor Light, Suffocating, Rotting)
      Size:5
      Initiative:8
      Defense:4
      Speed: 10
      Health: 9

New Nightmare: It's In Your Blood

There's nothing you can do to fight it. The abominable seeds planted generations ago are about to bloom. All the weaknesses and deviances of your ancestors are hiding in your own blood and calling for you. You're doomed to suffer their same fate as your own body and mind betray you. Soon everyone will be able see it”

Dice Pool: Intelligence + Satiety vs. Resolve + Supernatural Tolerance

Normal: the victim gain the Paranoid Condition. She becomes convinced that there's some horrible secret or perversion that plagues her family which has tainted her very own genes. All those who can expose it or that are in the process of learning more about the past of her family and its members are seen as a threat.

High Satiety: the victim gains the Broken Condition.

Satiety Expenditure: the victims enter a state of fugue. She attempts to flee the area and will violently attack anybody that tries to stop her even in the slightest. If that happens, she won't stop until her target is dead, at which point she regains her sense of self and won't remember much of the events, aside from a nightmarish recollection that has nothing to do with what really happened

Exceptional Success: For the duration of the Nightmare, the victim suffers a -2 penalty on breaking point rolls
      Last edited by Cinder; 04-05-2018, 09:48 AM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

• I see Lovecraftian Beasts, I upvote!
        Very nicely done, plus I like the Nightmare a lot - be sure to share it in the Homebrew Nightmares thread!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
          I see Lovecraftian Beasts, I upvote!
          Very nicely done, plus I like the Nightmare a lot - be sure to share it in the Homebrew Nightmares thread!
          I remember seeing it there before sometime, but that might have just been the concept.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post

I remember seeing it there before sometime, but that might have just been the concept.
            No, you're right, I did post the Nightmare there some time ago. Reposted it here since it was thanks to her that I made it in the first place and the two are pretty much pieces that come in the same package, at least in my mind

Comment

• Tell me that this video doesn't sound like a perfect concept for a Makara Enabler? Siren's Treacherous Song, Heart of the Ocean and Ravenous Maw for Atavisms, definitely.

Comment

• The Great Warrior, Anakim Predator
                "Being at the top of the food chain does not make you safe."

Sparta is a warrior state, and this Beast is nothing if not an exemplary warrior - being Devoured only increased his already considerable ability and originally, his personal Agenda and his Horror's Hunger for Power entirely aligned. Once an admired leader, tragedy has befallen him and cost him everything. Now, all he seeks to do is overthrow those in power - the mightier, the better, to the degree even his Horror's appetites have changed.
                The fact that he keeps the company of weaponsmiths of great skill mightily increases his abilities, be they mages, dwarves or something else: as long as they can craft him a better shield, a mightier axe, a more powerful bow or stronger arrowheads, they are on comparatively good terms, and he will help them out in exchange for a boon.
                Horror: A violent storm of metal clashing upon metal, a composite being of weapons, and shields, and armours.
                His Lair a battlefield, broken weaponry strewn about, and bodies laying around. An eternal battle is being fought, and any travelers should take care not to get pulled into it, lest they get seperated and get lost on the battlefield.
                Lair Traits: Jagged, Undergrowth, Razoured, Crushing, Currents, Minions, Maze
                Nightmares: All your Teeth are Falling Out, You Cannot Hurt It, Fear is Contagious, You Cannot Run Away
                Atavisms: Cyclopean Strength, Relentless Hunter, Looming Presence, Fear's Friend
                Merits: A slew of battle-oriented stuff like Iron Skin (epic), Fighting Styles (Heavy Weapons and Relentless Assault come to mind) and Danger Sense (advanced) as well as Fast Reflexes (advanced), but also Demolisher (ooo), Epic Potential (Strength), Giant, Fleet of Foot (ooo) and Indomitable, Inspiring and Hunger Management. Most importantly, powerful weapons (e.g. blades crafted from perfected metals).

Unlike other Horrors, especially of his time, the Great Warrior is not just scary for his own ability, but for his cunning use of tools and powerful weaponry. The great treasure that is his armory is envied him by some of his collection-oriented brethren, and he has been the target of more than one attack due to someone coveting one of his famous tools.

Thomas Slauenwitte, Namtaru Nemesis
                "Envy is most unbecoming."

This Doc was once set up for everything - recognition, prestige, riches, the best opportunities to further his career and studies (as befitting one of the best in the entire world). But all was undone when a friend stabbed him in the back, put out false claims, faked documents, and set him up for a heavy fall. And why all of that? Because he wanted what his best friend had, and couldn't stand watching him enjoy the fruits of his labour.
                Thomas never recovered from that, but his intense hatred and need for revenge apparantly were enough to attract nightmares.
                Upon being Devoured and developing a hunger for punishment, Thomas knew what he'd have to do: punish envy. The most fitting punishment was death, although he does not usually feed that deeply. Most of the time, he sees to it that the victim falls uterrly ill or in terrible disrepair, and is in need of the help of the very person they tried to destroy. Your fate in their hands - a karmic punishment, indeed. If that is not possible, he is, however, satisfied with making the person suffer.
                He's had to change identities a few times, but he doesn't mind giving them up anymore. Currently, he is entirely off the grid after returning home to the USA after a long time in South Africa, considering what to do next.
                Doc Slauenwitte does, however, still keep a diary under his real name, writing down all his deeds. Keeping a record, to be released at some point. Maybe this is his route to Inheritance?

Horror: A Huge Cloud of Flies
                Atavisms: Plague Bearer, Infestation, Shadowed Soul, Mimir's Wisdom, From the Shadows, Needs Must, Weakness Exposed
                Nightmares: Everything you know is a Lie, You Were Never Right, This is Due Tomorrow, Bugs Everywhere!
                Lair: An African Jungle
                Traits: Extreme Heat, Undergrowth, Toxic, Engulfing, Diseased(, Maze, Slick)
                Merits: Among others - Killer Instinct (Epic), Alternate Identity (3), Anonymity (3), Direction Sense (Advanced), Eidetic Memory (advanced), Encycopedic Knowledge (Africa), Multilingual (Xhosa, Afrikaans), Epic Potential (Intelligence), Patient, Good Time Management, Resources (3), Trained Observer (3)

Comment

• Doublepost, sorry, but I feel the time difference justifies adding a new post.

Margareth Baker, Eshmaki Nemesis

Maggie is a very unassuming person, apparently average in every regard. She's the girl teachers are barely aware of that she's part of that class, the one the parents always forget to talk about because they feel there is nothing to talk about. Not isolated enough to draw attention, not outstanding in any way - perfectly average. And so, almost invisible.
                  In truth, this is her cover, and weapon. Bad boys are always the first people consider to be responsible, and sometimes those in the spotlight are accused of being to perfect (or hiding some secret), but no one would even remember her enough to accuse her.
                  Which is good, because otherwise people would notice the pattern behind the strange cases of what the school likes to term 'cases of food poisonings and drug abuse'.
                  The truth is simple: you take part in any sort of mobbing (and not opposing it IS letting it happen and thus deemed punishable by Maggie's Horror), and you get the Hodag's poison-dripped talons. And you'll never be the wiser.
                  Maggie feels pretty good about herself. She is, after all, making the world a better place.

Horror: Hodag
                  Atavisms: Basilisk's Touch, From the Shadows
                  Nightmares: You Deserve This, You Are Worthless, This Is Due Tomorrow

Comment

• I'm having trouble figuring out starting atavisms for an Anakim I want to create who's Horror is a swarm of super-adaptive nanobots. The fear he's supposed to represent is that even if he can't beat you the first time, he'll always be back, adapted to beat any strategy you've tried before, making him unbeatable in the long run. Stuff like Infestation and Weakness Exposed is good, but I can't think of Anakim Atavisms that fit. Mimir's Wisdom might work, but I'm not sure if knowing lies automatically works with the concept. Any ideas?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                      I'm having trouble figuring out starting atavisms for an Anakim I want to create who's Horror is a swarm of super-adaptive nanobots. The fear he's supposed to represent is that even if he can't beat you the first time, he'll always be back, adapted to beat any strategy you've tried before, making him unbeatable in the long run. Stuff like Infestation and Weakness Exposed is good, but I can't think of Anakim Atavisms that fit. Mimir's Wisdom might work, but I'm not sure if knowing lies automatically works with the concept. Any ideas?
                      I can see Mimir's Wisdom working well, honestly. The benefits it provide resonate with the idea of an adaptive swarm of nanobots and lies often do come with a number of microscopic tells and changes in the liar's attitude that the supernatural nightmare of a cloud of hyper-technological sentient grey goo able to adapt to each situation has good reasons to spot. The conceptual space is there.

In alternative, I suggest Vengeful Earth. Make some giant limbs/structures with those nanobots and smash stuff.

Comment

• I guess I could replace the earthquake tilt with some sort of unstable footing from carpet of moving, sharp nanobots tilt

Comment

I guess I could replace the earthquake tilt with some sort of unstable footing from carpet of moving, sharp nanobots tilt
                          Sure, it's a good call. Keeping with Major Lair Traits, and depending on the kind of nanobots you have in mind, Corrosive, Engulfing, Razored and Viscous are those that come to my mind. Electrified too, but it's weirder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                            Sure, it's a good call. Keeping with Major Lair Traits, and depending on the kind of nanobots you have in mind, Corrosive, Engulfing, Razored and Viscous are those that come to my mind. Electrified too, but it's weirder.
                            Potentially Mirages too, if you want to go the colour-changing, deceptive route. Which could potentially justify Enemy Within or From The Shadows for Atavisms.

Comment

• I meant more the part where Vengeful Earth lets you create earthquakes at low Satiety. Haven't even thought about the Lair

Comment

I meant more the part where Vengeful Earth lets you create earthquakes at low Satiety. Haven't even thought about the Lair
                                Yeah, I was referring to that too. Reflavoring Earthquake and keeping the mechanics as they are is perfectly fine (perhaps while ignoring the part about falling debris or replacing it with sharp nanobots as you said). But in case you want to tinker with it a bit and apply other Tilts that might work better with your concept, those are the ones I think would not be hard to motivate.
                                Last edited by Cinder; 05-18-2018, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X