Namtaru Can Teleport to the Moon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mechalith View Post

Depends on what you consider to be all of the heat. If we're talking 'temperature drops to 0C (or F, take your pick) then you've increased the body temperature of one person uniformly to WAY above the level that it'll kill them and the other to a low enough temperature that all the water in their body will freeze, which will also kill them. It wouldn't look like much (maybe a flush and some frost, respectively) but they'd both be corpses in seconds.
    Humans are mostly water, so we'll assume that humans are entirely water.

An average adult human has a mass of about 81 kilograms, and its baseline temperature is 310.15 Kelvins (or 37 degrees Celsius/98.6 degrees Fahrenheit).
    Water has a specific heat of 4.187 kilojoules per kilogram-Kelvin.
    Using the formula Q=m*c*dT, we can calculate thermal energy in Joules (Q), based on mass in kilograms (m), specific heat in kJ/kg*K (c), and change in temperature (dT)
    m is already established as 81 kg.
    c is the specific heat, 4.187 kJ/kg*K
    dT is 310.15 Kelvins, because we're wanting all the thermal energy in the person.
    Q = 81 kg * 4.187 kJ/kg*K * 310.15 K-->cancel units
    Q = 81 * 4.187 kJ * 310.15-->Arithmetic
    Q = 105186.44205 kJ
    How much energy is a hundred thousand kilojoules?
    • According to Wolfram Alpha: 79% of the energy in a gallon of gas.
    • 1.7 times the amount of energy needed to accelerate 1 kg to escape velocity from Earth (ignoring drag)
    • 2.5 times the energy consumed daily by <ichael Phelps while training for the Olympics
    • Equivalent to annihilating 1.2 micrograms of matter as per E=mc2
    So, quite a bit of thermal energy, but not as much as one might assume.
    If you account for the calories contained in bodily tissue, it becomes a much bigger number, but I'm not doing the math for that unless somebody asks me.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post

If you account for the calories contained in bodily tissue, it becomes a much bigger number, but I'm not doing the math for that unless somebody asks me.
      Awesome! Could you calculate the energy if someone made all of the Sun's rays that pass within a hundred yards of the target redirect towards that person?

My custom legacy (2e)- The Disciples of Rathma - Life/Death focused Moros/Thyrsus Legacy, comments appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Tymeaus Jalynsfein View Post

Indeed, but all a vampire need do is stay in the shadows of the resultant Moonlight and they are just fine.
        A vampire need do nothin because they are unaffected by Moon light. If you want to ignore how the game actually works that fine, but act like that's how it is supposed to work by default.

SWTOR Referal: http://www.swtor.com/r/JQ2nqy

Comment

I stand corrected. I confused low satiety conditions and satiety expenditure conditions, so you could in fact teleport to the moon. You would immediately begin taking aggravated damage each turn until you teleported back. You have your current health in turns before you die to leave the moon. Of course, I guess you could sneak into NASA and steal a spacesuit. I guess I will not have to go with throwing dice at the player for this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gallus View Post

A vampire need do nothin because they are unaffected by Moon light. If you want to ignore how the game actually works that fine, but act like that's how it is supposed to work by default.
            Wow... Just Wow... playful sarcasm just totally escapes you doesn't it?
            Well, then, carry on.
            Last edited by Tymeaus Jalynsfein; 06-16-2015, 04:44 PM.

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Comment

Originally posted by Joker View Post

Awesome! Could you calculate the energy if someone made all of the Sun's rays that pass within a hundred yards of the target redirect towards that person?

I don't have the hard numbers, but a one meter wide Fresnel lens can focus sunlight down to a point that reaches ~3000F. At a hundred times that much energy, you'd blast a hole clear through your target and very likely whatever was on the far side of them at the very least. I suspect that the radiant heat generated by whatever slag was left (and the air your Death Star incantation had passed through) would be superheated enough to make being anywhere near it profoundly uncomfortable and possibly fatal. Malonkey1 can probably give a more rigorous answer as he's either substantially better versed in physics than I am or he's got a lot more patience for that kind of incidental research. (or both.)

Sisyphus has it easy...

Comment

Humans are mostly water, so we'll assume that humans are entirely water.

An average adult human has a mass of about 81 kilograms, and its baseline temperature is 310.15 Kelvins (or 37 degrees Celsius/98.6 degrees Fahrenheit).
                Water has a specific heat of 4.187 kilojoules per kilogram-Kelvin.
                Using the formula Q=m*c*dT, we can calculate thermal energy in Joules (Q), based on mass in kilograms (m), specific heat in kJ/kg*K (c), and change in temperature (dT)
                m is already established as 81 kg.
                c is the specific heat, 4.187 kJ/kg*K
                dT is 310.15 Kelvins, because we're wanting all the thermal energy in the person.
                Q = 81 kg * 4.187 kJ/kg*K * 310.15 K-->cancel units
                Q = 81 * 4.187 kJ * 310.15-->Arithmetic
                Q = 105186.44205 kJ
                How much energy is a hundred thousand kilojoules?
                • According to Wolfram Alpha: 79% of the energy in a gallon of gas.
                • 1.7 times the amount of energy needed to accelerate 1 kg to escape velocity from Earth (ignoring drag)
                • 2.5 times the energy consumed daily by <ichael Phelps while training for the Olympics
                • Equivalent to annihilating 1.2 micrograms of matter as per E=mc2

Thanks for fielding the specifics. =) I specified the 37C temperature point mainly to clarify that by 'all the heat' I assumed he didn't mean 'chills the target to 0 kelvin', which would be a much more pronounced change.

(Also physically impossible, but this IS magic we're talking about.)

Sisyphus has it easy...

Comment

Depends on what you consider to be all of the heat. If we're talking 'temperature drops to 0C (or F, take your pick) then you've increased the body temperature of one person uniformly to WAY above the level that it'll kill them and the other to a low enough temperature that all the water in their body will freeze, which will also kill them. It wouldn't look like much (maybe a flush and some frost, respectively) but they'd both be corpses in seconds.
                  That's what I was thinking. Not super dramatic, (covert?) but a real puzzle for the coroner.

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."
                  I find Nick Spencer and Richard Spencer to be equally repulsive.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post

That's what I was thinking. Not super dramatic, (covert?) but a real puzzle for the coroner.
                    Pretty much anyone killed by a mage is going to be confusing as hell for the poor coroner if they do an autopsy. "Well your honor... on examination, Victim A appeared to have developed fatal osteoporosis despite being an otherwise healthy 24 year old male, Victim B had a potted fern where their heart should have been, and Victim C was charred beyond recognition but we couldn't find any trace of accelerants."
                    Last edited by Mechalith; 06-17-2015, 09:49 AM.

Sisyphus has it easy...

Comment

Pretty much anyone killed by a mage is going to be confusing as hell for the poor coroner if they do an autopsy. "Well your honor... on examination, Victim A appeared to have developed fatal osteoporosis despite being an otherwise healthy 24 year old male, Victim B had a potted fern where their heart should have been, and Victim C was charred beyond recognition but we couldn't find any trace of accelerants."
                      True, but victims B and C would clearly be Vulgar effects in 1e, while victim A could be explained as a rare, previously undiagnosed hereditary condition.

Question: How far could a Mage shift energy from one place to another? Touch range? Sensory? Scyring? A man dies from hypothermia outdoors in winter, and another boils alive in a Jacuzzi miles away...

Comment

Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post

True, but victims B and C would clearly be Vulgar effects in 1e, while victim A could be explained as a rare, previously undiagnosed hereditary condition.

Question: How far could a Mage shift energy from one place to another? Touch range? Sensory? Scyring? A man dies from hypothermia outdoors in winter, and another boils alive in a Jacuzzi miles away...
                        It depends on the mage. Due to how mages function and the methods they use these details can change significantly. Like a popular assassination method for one faction in a friends game was basically setting up some things so you could pass as a similar being to the target then downing a liter of some poison and using a second spell to swap it so that suddenly there's a liter of poison coursing through the target's system with you just suffering the damage from it being in your system up until that point. This tended to work from the other side of the planet when they were willing to risk being vulgar enough to not have left standard reality to avoid the inevitable angry hand of god that this tended to provoke.

Comment

Originally posted by Joker View Post

I don't have the hard numbers, but a one meter wide Fresnel lens can focus sunlight down to a point that reaches ~3000F. At a hundred times that much energy, you'd blast a hole clear through your target and very likely whatever was on the far side of them at the very least. I suspect that the radiant heat generated by whatever slag was left (and the air your Death Star incantation had passed through) would be superheated enough to make being anywhere near it profoundly uncomfortable and possibly fatal. Malonkey1 can probably give a more rigorous answer as he's either substantially better versed in physics than I am or he's got a lot more patience for that kind of incidental research. (or both.)
                          Well, this would be easiest by starting with a set of known numbers:
                          • The entire planet gets an average direct insolation of 1000 Watts per square meter.
                          • A circle with a radius of 100 yards has an area of 26268 square meters.
                          • To get the wattage of this spell, we multiply these two together, giving us 26268000 Watts. That's a lot.
                          • To get the energy in Joules, let's break this down. 1 Watt = Joule/s
                          • We can assume we want this spell to last 1 turn, but it could be more. 1 turn in Storyteller System is 3 seconds. Multiply 3 seconds by 26268000 Watts. This level of wattage is equivalent to:
                            • about 0.2% the power of the Space Shuttle at launch
                            • Peak power produced by the reactor of a Los Angeles class nuclear sub
                            • 69% of the power production of the largest solar power plant in the US
                          • This gives us 78.8 million Joules. According to Wolfram Alpha, this is equal to:
                            • 59% of the energy released by burning 1 gallon of gasoline
                            • 1.3 times the energy needed to accelerate 1 kg of matter to escape velocity, ignoring drag.
                          • If you were able to maintain the spell for 1 minute, and immediately release it, it would be about 106% the energy released by a bolt of lightning.
                          The verdict? Such a spell would be survivable, but agonizing, would would certainly become lethal if maintained for any real length of time. And if you're a Vampire, you're obviously megadead. (1.088 megadeaths, to be precise).

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

• The entire planet gets an average direct insolation of 1000 Watts per square meter.
                            • To get the wattage of this spell, we multiply these two together, giving us 26268000 Watts. That's a lot.
                            • We can assume we want this spell to last 1 turn, but it could be more. 1 turn in Storyteller System is 3 seconds. Multiply 3 seconds by 26268000 Watts. This level of wattage is equivalent to:
                            • This gives us 78.8 million Joules. According to Wolfram Alpha, this is equal to:
                              • 1.3 times the energy needed to accelerate 1 kg of matter to escape velocity, ignoring drag.
                            • If you were able to maintain the spell for 1 minute, and immediately release it, it would be about 106% the energy released by a bolt of lightning.
                            The verdict? Such a spell would be survivable, but agonizing, would would certainly become lethal if maintained for any real length of time. And if you're a Vampire, you're obviously megadead. (1.088 megadeaths, to be precise).
                            LOL! Stealing part of this for my sig!
                            Last edited by Mangle77; 06-18-2015, 02:05 AM.

Comment

As a somewhat more concrete idea of how much heat energy we're talking about, this is a 30 kilowatt laser https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXCAWuTZ_MU (the same power used in the naval lasers they shoot down missiles with)

With that firmly in mind: the output of this spell would be 875.6 times more energy. You'd live through that, depending on where it hits you, but I can't imagine the damage would be anything less than crippling. The initial target site would be small, but it'd fry a pretty good sized area around it as well. I'm not sure agonizing does the result justice.

Also, speaking from related experience, it would smell terrible. If you think burning hair is a bad smell, I strongly suggest you avoid ever smelling incinerated human flesh.

Sisyphus has it easy...

Comment

So about shoving someone else through a shadow? Can Namtaru do that?

Comment

Working...
                                X