Beasts as other monsters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    I'd argue that vampires are closer to the Makara family and Mages are closer to the Ugallu Family.
    I agree that Mages are similar to Ugallu, but why do you say that Vampires are like Makara? I thought their "pale veneer of life and civility hiding a dark savagery" was closer to Eshmaki, as this Family is associated with death and destruction, while the Makara are associated with mystery and knowledge.

By the way, I'm interested in what Family or combination of Families you think could be associated with Changelings. I explained why I thought they'd be Namtaru + Makara in my previous post in this thread.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 02-08-2016, 03:04 PM.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Originally posted by GottaGoFeast View Post
      I agree that Mages are similar to Ugallu, but why do you say that Vampires are like Makara? I thought their "pale veneer of life and civility hiding a dark savagery" was closer to Eshmaki, as this Family is associated with death and destruction, while the Makara are associated with mystery and knowledge.
      Blood. Rivers of the stuff. Oceans of it. The sun-drowning, brain-blotting, eardrum-filling tidal pulse of the Leviathans has a gravity that resonates quite strongly with the Kindred and their saturation-based innate magic.

The Eshmaki, by contrast, are naturals at the Lost's game of masks.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
        Blood. Rivers of the stuff. Oceans of it. The sun-drowning, brain-blotting, eardrum-filling tidal pulse of the Leviathans has a gravity that resonates quite strongly with the Kindred and their saturation-based innate magic.

I like your choice of words, they're very evocative. I should have made the "oceans of blood" and "bottomless need" connection.

I considered associating Eshmaki with Changelings, but I didn't because of my stubborn idea of Eshmaki as lethally deceitful and destructive in tooth and claw. But now that you used the "game of masks" expression, I remembered my homebrewed Masked Fiend Atavism (which is all about sneaky shape-shifting), which in turn made me remember a comment you once made about Kitsunes and other fox spirits being like Eshmaki, so now "Eshmaki-As-Trickster" sounds just as viable as "Eshmaki-As-Killer" to me. Thanks a lot, I always had quite a bit of trouble groking the essential aspects of the Eshmaki.

Following that, I'm now associating Changelings with Eshmaki + Makara. The Namtaru might not have the exact same flavor of hideousness that grins at the core of many fae.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post

Plus that damned sex appeal and making people do what you want stuff.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
          Out of Nation from 5/22 to 5/29

Comment

Plus that damned sex appeal and making people do what you want stuff.
            I figured that the overwhelming charisma of Vampires resonated with the Anakim, but now that I think about it, the Giants generally have a blunt approach to social challenges, as shown by their Looming Presence Atavism, which gives Rote Quality to Intimidation.

The Makara, on the other hand, have Alien Allure as one of their Atavisms, which is more in line with the seductive approach that Vampires favor.

Comment

And Siren's Treacherous Song.

I'd peg the Mummies as Namtaru.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

I get the feeling that Deviants might be Namtaru + Eshmaki, similarly to Prometheans.

Mummies could be Anakim + Namtaru. When newly awakened, they are terrifying engines of destruction. Even as their Sekhem falls, they are extremely driven creatures that can take all sorts of punishment before going down. And they always come back.

They are also very much remnants of an uglier time, and their mission is to infect our time with a vision of society that is glorious to them but abhorrent to us. From their point of view, we are the despicable and insignificant ones. They have the aura of a neolithic abomination when they rise from their Tombs as well.

In more crunchy terms: Sybaris = Looming Presence, Undead Flesh = Unbreakable, Pillar Boosts And Affinities = Mimir's Wisdom/Cyclopean Strength/Titanic Blow and Biblical Utterances = Looming Presence/Basilisk's Touch/Infestation. Tombs have a Looming Presence/Shadowed Soul vibe as well.
                Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 03-29-2016, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Were I to associate Prometheans with a family I would go with either the Anakim or the Namtaru.

The Anakim don't fit well with all Prometheans, but the Frankenstein, Tammuz, and even Osirans all have a bit of it in their conception. That which cannot be overcome. The implacable doom. A Promethean in the throes of Torment may represent this better than any other splat in my opinion. They also have most of a Transmutation and a fighting style devoted to terrifying feats of strength.

The Namtaru for the most part work nicely with the idea of Promethean disfigurements. Marks of their inhuman creation that can never be hidden forever and which indelibly set them apart. There's also the undercurrent of body horror that runs through Promethean, both mutable and visceral.

Comment

After some reconsideration, I'd say changelings are Ugallu + Makara instead of Makara + Eshmaki.

The otherworldly beauty and misleading illusions resonate with the fear of hidden depths embodied by the Makara. Changelings are also skilled at traversing a realm that tears the flesh and minds of those who aren't ready, just as the Makara make oceans and caves their home ground.

The dread of being followed everywhere while awake or dreaming resonates with the fear of exposure embodied by the Ugallu. Besides that, those who deal with changelings feel exposed because any statement or action that is poorly thought out can be turned into a curse. Furthermore, the Perception bonuses given by high Clarity in 2ED make changelings extremely hard to deceive or hide from. Finally, they are masters at figuring out what emotions make you tick, and can use that against you when you are at your most unstable.

I'd say the Huntsmen are Ugallu + Eshmaki, while the True Fae are Anakim + Eshmaki.

Comment

What about the fansplats? I'm familiar with Genius, but I'm still having trouble choosing a pair of Families for them. The mechanics for Havoc, Unmada Fields, spending Mania to mess with technology, inflicting the Beholden template and so on make me think of the Eshmaki. An all-consuming, rampant brilliance that burns like a dragon's fire and poisons minds like so much industrial smog. Their unstoppable need to create and tinker threatens them and others with madness and ruin.

I'd combine that with Anakim. Their plans and obsessions assume gigantic proportions just as their designs multiply like a fractal, looming over the unInspired no matter how many times everything goes haywire.

Comment

We have two new families to consider. Anyone want to take a crack at this again?

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Sure.

Vampires-Makara and Eshmaki
                          Werewolves-Eshmaki and Namtaru
                          Mages-Ugallu and Inguma
                          Prometheans-Namtaru and Inguma
                          Changelings-Inguma and Makara
                          Hunters-Inguma and Eshmaki
                          Sin-Eaters-Anakim and Talassi
                          Mummies-Anakim and Makara
                          Demons-Inguma and Ugallu

and why not, some fan splats.

Geniuses-Anakim and Eshmaki
                          Princesses-Inguma and Makara
                          ​Leviathans-Anakim and Makara
                          Last edited by ArcaneArts; 11-27-2018, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Leviathans-Anakim and Talassi
                            I'm gonna quibble this one. I see your reasoning, but the Leviathans are intimately related to the fear of the deeps, outer space, the spaces between spaces, and the fear of drowning in madness.

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                              I'm gonna quibble this one. I see your reasoning, but the Leviathans are intimately related to the fear of the deeps, outer space, the spaces between spaces, and the fear of drowning in madness.
                              Yeah, I was chewing on that one. I enjoy the idea of confinement as a metaphor for being unable to escape cataclysm, but Really Anakim and Makara is the better fit.

Comment

Yeah, I was chewing on that one. I enjoy the idea of confinement as a metaphor for being unable to escape cataclysm, but Really Anakim and Makara is the better fit.
                                Honestly, I can easily see them as a combination of all three - they certainly embody the fear of being trapped in a horrible social situation, with their Wake and Cults.

Comment

Working...
                                X