Other Atavism Ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post

I could imagine a powerful Tyrant repeatedly using the You Must Obey Nightmare through an image of his enemies in order to discredit him.
    The Tyrant could also use the target as a walking poster of the Big Brother.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

• Originally posted by GottaGoFeast View Post
      The Tyrant could also use the target as a walking poster of the Big Brother.
      My first thought was an Earthbound Demon's Reliquiary (from Demon: The Fallen). Very easy to get a cult running with that Atavism.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

• Originally posted by GottaGoFeast View Post
        I would lower it to [Lair] days. I'd allow the target to roll their Resolve + Supernatural Tolerance each day. If they exceed the Beast's Successes, the power does not work, and repeated attempts impose a cumulative -1 penalty to the Beast's roll, as usual. If the target gets an Exceptional Success, the Satiety Expenditure effect is cut off, and the Beast cannot re-use that effect until the days that were remaining pass. Targets with the means to strike back at remotely activated powers, such as Mages, may do so at the ST's discretion. Someone who resists this power for long enough may develop an intuition that the Beast is to blame and a vague awareness of where to find the doll. By the way, you forgot to add the time per roll and a target number of Successes for the Wits + Crafts roll.
        Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• The thought just occurred to me, there's no atavism to represent multiple heads. And that's something that appears in dozens of mythologies all over the world.

Comment

The thought just occurred to me, there's no atavism to represent multiple heads. And that's something that appears in dozens of mythologies all over the world.
            Monster From the Deep can get you that effect readily enough.

Revlid wrote:
            Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aiden View Post

Monster From the Deep can get you that effect readily enough.

I meant stuff like multiple perspectives, several pairs of eyes etc. I can see what you mean though.

Comment

I meant stuff like multiple perspectives, several pairs of eyes etc.
                Needs Must.

Resident Lore-Hound
                Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                  Needs Must.
                  I guess so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                    My first thought was an Earthbound Demon's Reliquiary (from Demon: The Fallen). Very easy to get a cult running with that Atavism.
                    Honestly, Beasts-as-Fallen Angels could be an interesting hack. They feed their Hunger for Sin, and seek to either return to God's grace (Retreat), descend into sinful madness (Merger), or free themselves from the shadow of their Fall (Incarnate). Their Lairs are shards of the Inferno, and Heroes become divine servitors hunting them at the behest of the Earthbound (effectively, other Incarnate Beasts).

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

• Here's another Atavism. I know it's a little close to Cavernous Maw but I thought I'd focus more on the Jonah-and-the-Whale type thing.

All-Consuming (Makara)

Action:

Dice Pool:

Normal Effect: The Beast gains the ability to devour anything of a Size equal to or less than his (Lair * 2) with no ill effects. In addition, the Beast may gain sustenance from any substance he eats. A Beast could subsist off of only stone if necessary. The Beast may attempt to swallow a living creature so long as it is unable to fight back (i.e., is incapacitated, unconscious, sleeping or held down). Following the consumption, the creature is dealt 1 Lethal damage each turn until it dies. However, once inside, the creature may attempt to break out of the Beast’s maw. This is an extended contested roll of the creature Strength + Resolve + Supernatural Resistance vs the Beast’s Stamina + Composure + Lair. Each roll takes a turn and the contest continues until the victim is either knocked unconscious or accumulates a number of successes equal to the Beast’s Lair + Stamina. If the victim succeeds, he claws his way out of the Beast’s mouth and both Beast and Victim suffer the Stunned Tilt.

Low Satiety: The Beast’s growing hunger allows him to attempt to devour a Grappled opponent with a Contested Strength + Lair vs Strength + Stamina roll. If the Beast succeeds, treat it as if they had swallowed a living creature as above.

Satiety Expenditure: With the expenditure of a point of Satiety, the Beast tears open a connection to the Primordial Dream within himself, making his gaping maw into a portal to his Lair through which any that he devours are transported. Alternatively, those who are devoured can be imprisoned in a ‘pocket dimension’ of sorts which appears as some kind of confinement, as appropriate to the Horror. A Horror that takes the form of a gargantuan robotic monstrosity might trap its victims in a steel cell while a vast whale’s meals go straight to its stomach. Note that the pocket dimension cannot have any kind of harmful contents. A stomach might be knee-deep in gooey green slime but it could not contain acid, for example. The Beast may spend a turn ‘vomiting up’ any swallowed using this ability.

Comment

• I can't help but wonder if some of the effects we've discussed aren't better represented via the ability to impose Lair Traits on an environment. Such as the deep cold power, or webbing.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                          I can't help but wonder if some of the effects we've discussed aren't better represented via the ability to impose Lair Traits on an environment. Such as the deep cold power, or webbing.

Perhaps, but Atavisms are more directable and usable. You'd use Atavisms when the effect is a part of the Horror as opposed to a part of the Lair.

Comment

• I know what effects I'd like to see Atavisms emulating, but I suck at designing mechanics.
                            Still, we could have an Atavism to mimic the crafting prowess of the Cyclopes and Telchines, an Atavism for the healing properties of Medusa's blood or unicorn's horn, an Atavism for mimicking long prehensile arms, tentacles, or tails to manipulate objects remotely, an Atavism to burrow through earth and rock and survive underground, an Atavism to allow hibernation or cryptobiosis over long periods, an Atavism to see and even reach into Twilight.

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
                            Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

Comment

• Originally posted by Anteros View Post
                              I know what effects I'd like to see Atavisms emulating, but I suck at designing mechanics.
                              Still, we could have an Atavism to mimic the crafting prowess of the Cyclopes and Telchines, an Atavism for the healing properties of Medusa's blood or unicorn's horn, an Atavism for mimicking long prehensile arms, tentacles, or tails to manipulate objects remotely, an Atavism to burrow through earth and rock and survive underground, an Atavism to allow hibernation or cryptobiosis over long periods, an Atavism to see and even reach into Twilight.
                              We've got the crafting, long arms, burrowing and Twilight Atavisms. They're called Sons of Wayland, Long of Limb, The Maggot God and What Walks Between respectively.

Comment

• Cool!
                                Why Sons of Wayland though? I thought Wayland was a hero?

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
                                Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

Comment

Working...
                                X